Author Topic: Where to buy?  (Read 3855 times)

Offline acer589

• Gotta get out of college
Where to buy?
« on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 23:31:50 »
So, I'm looking to buy a full set of PBT caps for my QFR. I was gonna just grab a set from Keycaps Direct, but I've heard that there's are thin, and not as high-quality as some other places. What are other options in the same-ish price range?
MX Blue Black Widow Ultimate    MX Black Quickfire Rapid TKL    MX Black Poker II

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 23:38:19 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Techkeys still have a couple of Vortex sets left: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43034.0

ALso PBT as unlikely to wear through for a long time, so the thickness is not as much of an issue.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 23:41:09 »
If you want some high quality pbt keycaps, you can look for Imsto pbt keycaps, or BSP pbt keycaps. Both of them are really high quality.
For Imsto pbt keycaps, you can buy it directly from Imsto, or buy it from Feng. For BSP pbt keycaps, you can buy it from Originative.
These two have very good quality, but a little expensive. If you are looking for something cheaper. You can look for vortex pbt keycaps.
I think you still can get them from Techkeys.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 00:18:19 »
So, I'm looking to buy a full set of PBT caps for my QFR. I was gonna just grab a set from Keycaps Direct, but I've heard that there's are thin, and not as high-quality as some other places. What are other options in the same-ish price range?

The preference for thick PBT isn't so much an issue of quality per se as of the feel and sound of the key caps, especially as they bottom out. Thick PBTs make more of a lower-pitched clacky sound rather than the more high-pitched clicky sound of ABS. From what I understand this is less of an issue with doublt-shot ABS, but I haven't tried any doubleshots yet myself.

Feng has tons of thick PBT sets up on eBay right now. They are quite expensive, but personally I think they're great. I posted about my own experimentation with them recently here.

Offline muad

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 00:33:07 »
I would seriously check these out... there is only four days left so you may want to jump on these quick, they're good quality but they're not thick.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ducky-pbt-set

The difference between thick and thin is simply in the sound, and maybe a little in the feel. The thin ones sound deeper and too me sound nicer than the thick pbt.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 00:34:15 »
Imsto on this forum sells blank biege/white pbt for $68 shipped. black might even be cheaper ask him first
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline norbauer

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 00:50:18 »
I would seriously check these out... there is only four days left so you may want to jump on these quick, they're good quality but they're not thick.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ducky-pbt-set

The difference between thick and thin is simply in the sound, and maybe a little in the feel. The thin ones sound deeper and too me sound nicer than the thick pbt.

That is a really nice price on the Massdrop, if you don't mind a big Ducky logo on your spacebar—and that being at odds with the fact that you have a QFR.

I was a little confused at first because the Massdrop picture doesn't show a 104-key set (and assuming your QFR is an 80%/TKL, the listing doesn't show enough keys to cover your board), but the listing itself says it's 104-key, so I'd go with the text rather than the photo.

Offline d

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 01:29:30 »
If you want some high quality pbt keycaps, you can look for Imsto pbt keycaps, or BSP pbt keycaps. Both of them are really high quality.
For Imsto pbt keycaps, you can buy it directly from Imsto, or buy it from Feng. For BSP pbt keycaps, you can buy it from Originative.
These two have very good quality, but a little expensive. If you are looking for something cheaper. You can look for vortex pbt keycaps.
Thanks for this information. I'm looking into buying PBT keycaps myself. Just to be clear though, are you saying Feng sells the same pbt keycaps that Imsto sells?

Edit: Decided to add some more information. I'm about to buy these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KBC-White-Blank-Thick-PBT-104-Keyset-Cherry-MX-Keycaps-/230957623025?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c625a6f1

Before I finalize my order, can someone confirm these will fit on my Filco TKL? Sorry for the question, this will be my first keycap set.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 September 2013, 01:32:17 by d »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 01:35:57 »
Thanks for this information. I'm looking into buying PBT keycaps myself. Just to be clear though, are you saying Feng sells the same pbt keycaps that Imsto sells?

I can't personally verify this as I haven't ordered any from imsto myself, but if you search the forums history, you'll find many people around GH claiming that imsto and feng thick PBTs are identical. That was sufficient for me. And indeed just from the imsto pics and having the Feng ones in person, I can verify that they look to be exactly the same.

FWIW, imsto does sell some sets that aren't currently available from Feng. For example, the white-and-light-grey blank set.
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1.w4004-2339813144.8.GBx83b&id=16466008966
To get a similar two-tone effect, I had to buy two white and gray sets (at twice the price, of course) and mix them.

I also personally found Feng to be much more responsive to emails, especially when sent through eBay (rather than PM). I think imsto is frequently back-logged—or he just doesn't check his GH PMs that often.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 01:38:15 »

I can't personally verify this as I haven't ordered any from imsto myself, but if you search the forums history, you'll find many people around GH claiming that imsto and feng thick PBTs are identical. That was sufficient for me. And indeed just from the imsto pics and having the Feng ones in person, I can verify that they look to be exactly the same.

FWIW, imsto does sell some sets that aren't currently available from Feng. For example, the white-and-light-grey blank set.
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1.w4004-2339813144.8.GBx83b&id=16466008966
To get a similar two-tone effect, I had to buy two white and gray sets (at twice the price, of course) and mix them.

I also personally found Feng to be much more responsive to emails, especially when sent through eBay (rather than PM). I think imsto is frequently back-logged—or he just doesn't check his GH PMs that often.

I think imsto is one more rung up the ladder, essentially feng buys all his stuff from the same provider, and is based in the USA. Imsto runs China's sales and usually will have more as he has easier access to new sets.

That said, yes their sets are identical since they came from the same manufacturer
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline acer589

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 02:47:29 »
What about these? Any idea about quality on those? Although I would like blank ones more.

And thanks for the warm welcome.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 September 2013, 15:05:53 by acer589 »
MX Blue Black Widow Ultimate    MX Black Quickfire Rapid TKL    MX Black Poker II

Offline norbauer

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 12:12:48 »
What about these? Any idea about quality on those? Although I would like blank ones more.

And thanks for the warm welcome.

Your link is dead, but I presume you meant this?

Offline acer589

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 15:06:46 »
Yeah, those! I don't know where I borked the link ><

Offline norbauer

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 16:42:29 »
Yeah, those! I don't know where I borked the link ><

Unfortunately I've not had first-hand experience with that set. But now that the link is fixed hopefully somebody else who has will be able to chime in. :)