Author Topic: Help with keycap families  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Inklebert

Help with keycap families
« on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 15:37:12 »
Hey guys, I recently came into some spending money want to add a touch of color to my DK9008. So I headed over to Keycaps direct to order some keys and then I saw that there were keycap familys.... :S
I google image searched each one and tried to compare them to my keyboard but I figured I should get your advice on this beforehand. Which family is the one for my caps ;-;35296-0

Offline Inklebert

Re: Help with keycap families
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 15:40:08 »
Heres a second image just in case

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 15:45:01 »
I think you mean profile, not family. They call them family on their website, the keyboard enthusiast community calls it profile.

If those are the stock caps that you got with your Ducky. They're OEM. The ones at Keycap Direct is from a company called Signature Plastics. keycapsdirect.com = Signature Plastics. They dont have OEM profile. Closest will be DCS, which is their imitation of the Cherry profile.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 September 2013, 15:50:16 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Inklebert

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 15:51:57 »
I think you mean profile, not family. They call them family on their website, the keyboard enthusiast community calls it profile.

If those are the stock caps that you got with your Ducky. They're OEM. The ones at Keycap Direct is from a company called Signature Plastics. keycapsdirect.com = Signature Plastics. They dont have OEM profile. Closest will be DCS, which is their imitation of the Cherry profile.
So if I were to buy only modifier keys and mix them with my stock caps it would look out of place/ugly?
I don't wanna buy a full set  :-[

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 15:53:22 »
It would *look* fine. But there would be a difference in the height of the caps and *feel* different. Some people are fine with this. I can't handle the mismatch at all.

Offline Inklebert

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 16:00:33 »
It would *look* fine. But there would be a difference in the height of the caps and *feel* different. Some people are fine with this. I can't handle the mismatch at all.
I can imagine myself going insane if they were to have different heights ;-;
Guess ill just have to wait till I get more money to get a full set

Offline xavierblak

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 20:40:27 »
A couple options for some OEM profile caps would be:

WASD keyboards - This set would be a pretty cheap modifier set. But really anything from wasd would work since they use OEM profile for all their keys.

elitekeyboards.com - These sets marked as 104-key Universal are a very cheap complete oem set but you could just swap out any of the modifiers you wanted too.

I think that ducky set you have is made from PBT plastic, both of these options are ABS so might notice a different in key feel.