Author Topic: Need a nordic key caps set for 7g  (Read 4380 times)

Offline varslot

• Portfolio
Need a nordic key caps set for 7g
« on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 14:04:19 »
Hello!

I'm a proud owner of a 7g (had it since 2009), but now I feel like it's time to change the caps. Is there anywhere I can buy a full set for my 7g with a nordic layout (norwegian)?

Any help is appreciated :)

Ducky Shine 3 (MX blue)

HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline mauri

Re: Need a nordic key caps set for 7g
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 14:15:19 »
Doesn't 7g have a weird enter key? If so I remember somebody selling a set specifically for 6gv2/7g (perhaps imsto or feng) but I doubt it'll have norwegian layout
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 14:15:51 »
My upcoming groupbuy will be offering Norwegian. Only issue for you is that type of J enter key won't be offered. Generally Norwegian is not offered much. As far as I know there are very few steelseries compatbile aftermarket sets, none of which are in other than US layout. As far as I know steelseries will not offer any replacement keycaps as they would rather you just buy a new keyboard instead. You could go for a custom lasered set from WASDkeyboard, except for the J enter key since they don't offer it either.
Generally, I advise to get another keyboard that uses a standard ISO or ANSI keys if you are interested in changing keycaps as it makes getting the languages and colors and etc much easier.

Offline JonasDK

• Let me poo on you
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 14:21:55 »
Hello!

I'm a proud owner of a 7g (had it since 2009), but now I feel like it's time to change the caps. Is there anywhere I can buy a full set for my 7g with a nordic layout (norwegian)?

I found some on a danish website. Give me a sec and i'll find it for you.
Edit: Here, but they are nordic, and they don't seem like high quality keycaps.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 September 2013, 14:25:18 by JonasDK »

Offline varslot

• Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 14:28:46 »
My upcoming groupbuy will be offering Norwegian. Only issue for you is that type of J enter key won't be offered. Generally Norwegian is not offered much. As far as I know there are very few steelseries compatbile aftermarket sets, none of which are in other than US layout. As far as I know steelseries will not offer any replacement keycaps as they would rather you just buy a new keyboard instead. You could go for a custom lasered set from WASDkeyboard, except for the J enter key since they don't offer it either.
Generally, I advise to get another keyboard that uses a standard ISO or ANSI keys if you are interested in changing keycaps as it makes getting the languages and colors and etc much easier.

Well, I could just keep the original enter key, it's not that worn out anyway. It's more important to change the left side of the board.

I aslo want to point out that I'm not so into this, as it's the first time I've ever considered to change my caps. When this is said, I'm a huge quality ****, and I do have the moneyZ.

Ducky Shine 3 (MX blue)

HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline varslot

• Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 14:32:41 »
Hello!

Thanks! Like I just posted, I'm a huge quality ****, so I don't mind spending some money. But do you know if those are of the same quality as the original caps?

And these would be the same i presume?
http://www.maxfps.no/produkt/5751
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 September 2013, 14:38:31 by varslot »

Ducky Shine 3 (MX blue)

HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 14:55:09 »
Oh I didn't know steelseries started selling stock replacement keycaps. Yeah those are both the same set, same as the original pad print keys.

Offline JonasDK

• Let me poo on you
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 16:02:04 »
Hello!

Thanks! Like I just posted, I'm a huge quality ****, so I don't mind spending some money. But do you know if those are of the same quality as the original caps?

I actually don't know how good they are, but they look thin. If you can afford it, buy a new board. As IvanIvanovich said they J enter is not that common, and therefore it's quite hard to find compatible keycaps.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 18:13:43 »
Hello!

If you're ok with keeping the old enter key but want something better for the rest of the caps, get some of the ducky pbt caps from maxfps. They should be much better than the stock abs caps.

Also; is your first name Espen by any chance?

Offline varslot

• Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 09:56:43 »
Hello!

If you're ok with keeping the old enter key but want something better for the rest of the caps, get some of the ducky pbt caps from maxfps. They should be much better than the stock abs caps.

http://www.maxfps.no/produkt/5367
Like this?

Yes, it is! Vun sounds kinda familiar aswell. White Wings-forum (or whatever it was called), maybe?

Ducky Shine 3 (MX blue)

HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 10:49:23 »
Hello!

Like this?

Yes, it is! Vun sounds kinda familiar aswell. White Wings-forum (or whatever it was called), maybe?

Haha, yeah it's me from WW. Never thought I'd see you, or anyone else from WW, pop up here.

And yeah, those are the caps you'll want. You'll have to keep your old enter key, but should be fine other than that unless there are some other keys in weird places. Don't have too much experience with the SS boards, I just know they have a weird enter.

Offline varslot

• Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 11:13:53 »
Hello!

Like this?

Haha, yeah it's me from WW. Never thought I'd see you, or anyone else from WW, pop up here.

And yeah, those are the caps you'll want. You'll have to keep your old enter key, but should be fine other than that unless there are some other keys in weird places. Don't have too much experience with the SS boards, I just know they have a weird enter.
Yeah, it's a hell of a coincident actually! Funny story though: I actually just started a full time job as a graphic designer and art director in a big bureau, and I have to thank WW for getting me into design :)

As much as I loved those Ducky pbt engraved caps, it would just bother me with an enter key with a bright white print. I could get these (http://www.maxfps.no/produkt/5368), but they are also not bright white like the standard keys I have.

For the layout of my 7g, I think the backspace is kinda modified aswell. You can see the exact layout I have in this image: http://www.brutalcs.nu/pictures/recensioner/7G/2.jpg. As you can see, the "*" key is moved up one row, so the backspace is shortened. That leaves me with two keys from the original caps. As the design freak I am, that would just bother the hell out of me.

I guess I have to go for the original.

Ducky Shine 3 (MX blue)

HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline JonasDK

• Let me poo on you
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 12:38:54 »
Are you sure they'll fit? That backspace doesn't seem to match the set i linked, if that's what you mean by "original"

Offline varslot

• Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 13:38:40 »
Are you sure they'll fit? That backspace doesn't seem to match the set i linked, if that's what you mean by "original"

It's noted that's it's for changing both 6gv2 and 7g. I'm sure they have included two different keys for the backspace. If not, I'll just use the one I have.

Ducky Shine 3 (MX blue)

HHKB Pro 2 Type-S