Author Topic: GH - StarCraft II: HotS/LotV players  (Read 185079 times)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Re: GH - StarCraft II: HotS players
« Reply #1000 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 04:44:58 »
Sorry I can't do a proper rely Johan my internet access is super limited atm, but yeah I'm no T or Z player so I'm not going to argue a match up I don't play hasn't changed. But what I mean is when you look at it at the pro level mid game TvZ looks pretty much the same, muta bling, vs bio with splash... It's only really gotten better for T to be cost effective while Z is aiming for that late game comp of ultra, infestor corptor etc

For pvz I think that whole match up is broken for a number of reasons.
Late game z I still feel is the strongest army comp in the game and the ability for Z to basically max and do almost nothing but chip with sh's and build a bank means that breaking it is super hard and map dependant.
I guess maybe the idea of a super solid army comp for Zerg is just something j don't like the concept off, I feel like late game Zerg shouldn't have this stock 'go to maxed out army' just like I don't think protoss should have the death ball.
I'm hoping in lotV things like that will be changed...

As for muta's I really think it's player dependant, I've open stargate and put a Zerg on two base and sti lost to mutas, they are so crazy powerful with corroptors and dealing with them is so difficult when trying to get a 3rd.
My one hope is that phonex go back to the WoL spec and mutas get a heavy nerf or change because they are no interesting at all and if your playing against them you have to babysit your phonex the whole game to even home to trade ok and then like I said one misclick and its over.
You only have to watch pro pvz games and the number of insta base trades they produce when thy come out... It sucks

Offline Johan

« Reply #1001 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 15:24:58 »
I guess I should have clarified this, I don't think zerg would need a solid endgame army if protoss or terran doesn't have one(deathball). Bio terran is a great way to show cast this, both players will make a mix of low and high tier units that will keep fighting until one side eventually loses its ability to reproduce its army, whether its due to lack of resources or destroyed production facility's.
On to the development of zvt.
The standard opening Wol was basically gasless 1 rax expo with a hellion banshee follow up into a marine tank timing, the most common one was probably the 2-2 pre-ultratiming. Maybe 1 out of 10 games was a two factory blueflame hellion all in. Since the hellbat change it been similar with a reaper expand into hellion banshee, armory is optional. The biggest difference is the way medivacs has changed timings, Its become a lot like tvp was in wol, where all the "deadly" timings hit with medivacs(other than a few recent hellbat all ins).
Where as wol timings was largly based on upgrades, this was partially due to the way that tanks don't really allow smaller engagements that are supposed to pressure the opponent into making things other than drones. You can't really turn back with tanks the same way you do with mines or hellbats. If you set up to do an attack with tanks you pretty much had to commit to a engagement. Tanks aren't really viable as a support unit anymore due to the speed and regen of mutas that can effectively pick of key units without large losses.
Instead terrans opt for one of the 4: bio hellbat thor, Bio hellbat, bio mine, and bio mine thor. Thors are generally only added when zerg is playing with large muta numbers, the "rule" is to add thors if they go above 20. From a zerg pov it might look similar in terms of unit comp, but the ways you have to adapt to different timings are massive, you have to be a lot more active in scouting in the current meta.
My major issue with SH is how hard the upgraded mothership makes locust borderline useless, combine this with tempest picking off static, while you warp in 3 dt's and 5 zealots from a prism on a map larger than overgrowth? Yeah, that zerg is in for a rough ride... If you have issues with mutas you should look at how Puck dealt with Zansters muta switches at IEM. Those games just made protoss look more broken than zerg in WOL.
Uh, stuff.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1002 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 10:07:23 »
I agree with the death ball for protoss and one of my hopes is that by removing the sentry and voidray in LotV gateway unit armies would be viable for standard play and not force or be, an all in.
Not really sure Terran bio is a deathball, maybe the three base turtle mech but that's just mech and if you scout it, it's gg.

I don't disagree with your tvZ chat as it has changed builds and openings, but as an observer, it amounts the same game flow and overall gameplan, little has changed.

Yeah I know there are ways to play against muta but I feel that they exist only to deal with bio and they are ****ty in other match ups. And essentially force you to outplay your oponent which is pretty unfair (imo).
SH's for me are the worst unit in the game, they essentially allow the Z a backup plan if they ever get behind. Turtle on two bases and slowly make your army so insanely cost effective that P can never attack into you. It sucks to play against and sucks to watch. Even with a mothership core, at that point you should have vipers and corroptors that can 2-3 shot it anyway so I don't see that as much of a problem. If you go SH and allow the protoss infinite bases and to get that insane deathball, your one or two chain fungles away from winning, even if you loose your whole army you can remax on roach hydra, muta, what ever pretty quickly and all th Protoss can remax on is blink stalkers lol... I'm not here to cry about balance there are just a lot of things wrong with HotS I hope gets fixed in LotV... I mean don't even get my started on the Oracel or Voidray and how those units ruin pvp... Which was always a ****fest anyway

The one thing I took away from my time playing the lotv alpha test maps was that pvz (even though the new roaches are broken as ****) has a much MUCH better mid and late game. Armies need to be moving around and doing what they can and its a lot more fun and interesting to play than before, as the new roach basically means you can't make Templar/archons because they are too slow and sentries are a waste of gas because FF's are worthless.

Offline Johan

« Reply #1003 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 13:01:48 »
Not really sure Terran bio is a deathball, maybe the three base turtle mech but that's just mech and if you scout it, it's gg.

I primarily meant the mech deathball.
Mech is really really strong nowadays. Theres a reason why gumiho can win like 80% of his tvz games with mech only against the top players. Also If you want to use the games that gumi played as an example of how to beat mech, just don't gumiho just went full NA that series.
Uh, stuff.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1004 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 16:22:10 »
I can't give people advice on how to beat one of the best Korean terrans who's been around for a long time now, lol

Offline Johan

« Reply #1005 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 05:39:43 »
What do you mean by if you scout it, It's gg? Mech is really solid. Its not like I just make swarmhosts and auto win lol
Uh, stuff.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1006 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 12:58:39 »
posting for me is super hard as everytime i go to post it fails to load the page and then when it does load, sends me to the create new thread page, loosing my post in the process... idk wtf is going on.

I don't think mech is super solid in pvt or zvt but I've no first hand experiance of zvt mech so all of my opinions are from watching streams and pro's deal with it.
Mech seems to be played out in one of two ways, either max harass or max turtle... doing a mixture simply leaves them too open to being killed. The reason I said scouting and its gg isn't becasuse of insta gg nonsense c'mon. But because you can then work out what your playing against and plan accordingly.
It's a strategy that is one dimentinal;

harass - means they have to do dmg otherwise they are behind and you can max before them and be so cost efficent with taking the map they can never win
turtle - slowly building this deathball that cant be stopped

like I said i cant speak to personal experiances but given that zvt isnt anything close to how pvz got in wol (protoss either all-in'd or died to the maxed zerg army (ala terrans maxed mech army)) there means that there is ways to play around it and you do this by scouting, soon as mech takes you by surprise you ****ed up by not scouting... etc etc if that makes sense

Offline Johan

« Reply #1007 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 06:05:31 »
Played in the swedish nationals, Beat the first guy to ge rolled by StarNaN :( Welp another shot next weekend.
Uh, stuff.

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #1008 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 00:53:29 »
Played in the swedish nationals, Beat the first guy to ge rolled by StarNaN :( Welp another shot next weekend.

never give up never surrender
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline Johan

« Reply #1009 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 02:11:17 »

never give up never surrender
Furthest I've got is quarter finals. Ideally I'd like to win a qualifier, but doubt its a possibility though :(
Uh, stuff.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1010 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 04:42:29 »
Mate I've been away from my pc for like four weeks now, not being able to play even team games is killing me.. What's worse is when I get home it will be a new season and I'll have Plat last season on my record ;_;

Offline Johan

« Reply #1011 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 04:43:40 »
Its already new season :p
Uh, stuff.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1012 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 04:45:38 »
MATE

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #1013 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 18:22:47 »
Anyone interested in Bounds? For those who don't know what a bound is. They are obstacle courses that you run a unit through. Think Run Ling Run, but better. :p

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1014 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 12:55:19 »
Man I'm so baad hahaha

did my placement, PC crashes, when its working again I've been demoted again and now I'm in Gold league, the league of dreams and sick plays... and so far I'm 6-6... so so bad lol... though I lost a couple of games becasue of insane 2-3 second lag spikes, not sure wtf is up with that :/ and then ofc the play style that has seem to have grown is the super turtle zerg play where u get SH's no matter what and then transition into muta... ugh

6-6 in gold league lmao... two seasons ago I was top dia raping masters players... now I can't even win more times than loose to gold players.... ahhh good times lol

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1015 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 13:35:25 »
Yeah, the ladder system is ****ed up for everyone below high master / GM.

You shouldn't read too much into previous results though. Back when Masters was as big as 7-8% way more people made the cut (including me :p).

Or maybe a Master played his offraces in unranked - you'll never know.

It's really frustrating how Blizzard ****ed up the ladder system. I wish they just get rid of MMR decay, reset everyone and start over again.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1016 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 13:56:18 »
Yeah, the ladder system is ****ed up for everyone below high master / GM.

You shouldn't read too much into previous results though. Back when Masters was as big as 7-8% way more people made the cut (including me :p).

Or maybe a Master played his offraces in unranked - you'll never know.

It's really frustrating how Blizzard ****ed up the ladder system. I wish they just get rid of MMR decay, reset everyone and start over again.

Yeah I've no idea what the hell is going on really LOL though I thought I was doing pretty poorly and so I just assumed I had gotten bad with not playing in a few weeks or w/e but I just like bear backed some dia dude... the game wasn't even close lol.... wtf

The ladder only seems to work properly if like you said your high masters or gm, or ofc if you play like 10+ games a day... even then its a ****ed up.
A mate of mine is random and has been in masters for like 4-5 seasons now... last season he was demoted and after a 22win streak (zero losses) was getting put vs gm's, winning and then still not getting promoted back to masters... wtf lol he got tired of playing gm players and so switched to his other acc's and now (or last season) he had 4-5 dia accounts all with 100%-90% w/l ratio's and between 20-30 games per acc played... and non got promoted... most had been masters prior lol
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 January 2015, 13:59:34 by baldgye »

Offline Johan

« Reply #1017 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 01:14:58 »
Started this season going 0-7 welp, its all downhill from here.
Uh, stuff.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1018 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 02:00:16 »
Yeah, it's really frustrating.

I mean I love the game and have spent more time with it than any other game in my life, but Blizzard makes it harder and harder to stay passionate.

Right now it feels like a waste of time to ladder because any break will inevitably nullify any MMR progress.

Seriously, we have to relearn the game for LotV anyway with the new economy system and all. So why even bother with the current ladder system...

On top of that there hasn't been a meaningful content update in like forever.

I mean why don't they release Mini-Campaigns or custom maps every other month to keep the casuals motivated and engaged? They did that in WoL (Starcraft Master Micro Challenge, the Zealot Chef thingy, etc.).

Ît wouldn't even be work for Blizzard, because the community would do it for them. Just sponsor 1000$ Team Liquid community contests every once in a while and the mapmakers will do the rest.

Offline tbc

« Reply #1019 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 02:36:55 »
take a break from ladder!

time for starleague soon :)

not the most exciting group, but w/e lol
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1020 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 05:25:16 »
Well yesterday I managed to beast out 18 games, won 10 of them and as I played on I got better, so I guess that's something. With that w/l ratio I'm top 5 gold in my league which I hope means I'll be up for promotion soon so I'm only one league below what I was before my mmr got rekt...

and yeah Letch sc2 can kinda suck... especially when every PvZ is some dumb z aggression (which fails) into lolswarmhost 50min turtle game... glhf -_-

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1021 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 02:41:14 »

Welp got out of gold league Saturday night... Now back to getting back into Diamond -_- and then hopefully once back there to boost my mmr enough so that when I'm working of if I have to go away for a bit I don't just get demoted again QQ...

I think my dreams for sc2 now is to just to remain in dimond rather than aim for masters at this point QQ

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #1022 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 07:20:05 »

Welp got out of gold league Saturday night... Now back to getting back into Diamond -_- and then hopefully once back there to boost my mmr enough so that when I'm working of if I have to go away for a bit I don't just get demoted again QQ...

I think my dreams for sc2 now is to just to remain in dimond rather than aim for masters at this point QQ

I just settled with dia for the rest of my life as I don't have the time to put into the game as I once had :/
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1023 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 07:30:54 »

I just settled with dia for the rest of my life as I don't have the time to put into the game as I once had :/

I wish I could do that :/ I go away for weeks at a time during the year which literally destroys my MMR to the point when I'm often stuck in plat for whole seasons :(

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #1024 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 07:38:48 »
Me too I was plat last season but so what I still consider myself diamond player as I managed to get it at the start of this one.

Offline Johan

« Reply #1025 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:07:45 »
RIP ZERGS ABILITY TO BEAT LATEGAME PROTOSS http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/15699096472
Uh, stuff.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1026 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:11:46 »
RIP ZERGS ABILITY TO BEAT LATEGAME PROTOSS http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/15699096472

You mean RIP pointless and needless 50min stalemates that are impossible for Protoss to win unless z ****s up?
Also I don't get it.. are they changing the SH to the LotV SH??
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:23:56 by baldgye »

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #1027 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:41:19 »
I actually like the direction they are going, defenitely not a typical Blizzard move.

Offline Johan

« Reply #1028 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:43:16 »

You mean RIP pointless and needless 50min stalemates that are impossible for Protoss to win unless z ****s up?
Also I don't get it.. are they changing the SH to the LotV SH??
Yep, needless, care to explain how zerg will beat lategame toss without SH?
Uh, stuff.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1029 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:44:21 »
I actually like the direction they are going, defenitely not a typical Blizzard move.

I hope that come the end of LotV Protoss can make this unbeatable insane 200supply army. I mean zerg got it in WoL with BL/Infest, terran got it in HotS with raven/banshee/viking... tis only fair that protoss actually gets the best max supply army

Offline Johan

« Reply #1030 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:45:56 »

I hope that come the end of LotV Protoss can make this unbeatable insane 200supply army. I mean zerg got it in WoL with BL/Infest, terran got it in HotS with raven/banshee/viking... tis only fair that protoss actually gets the best max supply army
r u srs?
Uh, stuff.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1031 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:46:33 »

r u srs?

az i wong?

Offline Johan

« Reply #1032 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:48:00 »

r u srs?

az i wong?
I MEAN ALL THE OTHER RACES HAVE HAD A BULL**** ARMY SO WHENS MY PERIOD BRAH? r u srs?
Uh, stuff.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1033 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:50:43 »

r u srs?

az i wong?
I MEAN ALL THE OTHER RACES HAVE HAD A BULL**** ARMY SO WHENS MY PERIOD BRAH? r u srs?

2 gams
end of wol = zerg bl/inf
end of hots = treeans ravs/banks

both turtles
many mints
gam bad

Offline Johan

GH - StarCraft II: HotS players
« Reply #1034 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:51:48 »

r u srs?

az i wong?

2 gams
end of wol = zerg bl/inf

both turtles
many mints
gam bad
So you want protoss to have an army comp that does this too? How would that be better at all lol
Uh, stuff.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1035 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:53:02 »

r u srs?

az i wong?

2 gams
end of wol = zerg bl/inf

both turtles
many mints
gam bad
So you want protoss to have an army comp that does this too?

Offline Johan

« Reply #1036 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:56:44 »
Alright turtletoss should be a thing for lotv, I bet that will fix it!!!1
Uh, stuff.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1037 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:59:51 »
Alright turtletoss should be a thing for lotv, I bet that will fix it!!!1

we can dream in the pepperionos i guess...

but nah the change for SH's is actually pretty damn cool and shows that blizz kinda cares about sc2... at least before dropping it to die after lotv launches lel

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1038 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 08:31:15 »

rip

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1039 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 09:44:44 »
I dunno what to think about the swarmhost change.

Sure, it has the potential to minimize turtle play, but people will just find the next best thing to ***** about.

I appreciate Blizzard's effort to do massive changes, but I am not even sure whether it's worth it considering LOTV will change everything again anyway.

I just wish they'd launch LOTV beta next week and run it as long as need just like Dota 2 which was in beta like 2 years.

Obviously this will never happen because of the existence of WCS...

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1040 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 09:53:18 »
I dunno what to think about the swarmhost change.

Sure, it has the potential to minimize turtle play, but people will just find the next best thing to ***** about.

I appreciate Blizzard's effort to do massive changes, but I am not even sure whether it's worth it considering LOTV will change everything again anyway.

I just wish they'd launch LOTV beta next week and run it as long as need just like Dota 2 which was in beta like 2 years.

Obviously this will never happen because of the existence of WCS...

HotS SH change(s) will carry over into LotV... so it's kinda like beta testing the new unit within HotS. With the increased mining stuff I kinda hope that means that games don't revolve around one single battle... but we will see!

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1041 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 10:02:56 »
Yeah, I know it will carry over in some form, but all the balance tweaking will be in vain as soon as the other new units and mechanics are introduced.

I mean I am happy I am not indirectly forced to do 2 base all ins in PvZ anymore to avoid 1h swarmhost games, but I am not really enthusiastic either.

The thing that would really make me playing again would be the introduction of a new ladder system without MMR decay. Like creating 3-5 sub Division per league. This would make promotions happen more frequently and keep people motivated.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1042 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 10:09:46 »
I mean I am happy I am not indirectly forced to do 2 base all ins in PvZ anymore to avoid 1h swarmhost games, but I am not really enthusiastic either.

It's not that bad tbh... and if you try and do a 2base all in vs someone rushing sh's with mass queens, you can't win lol.... which is kinda why it sucks... the only way to win (if the zerg knows how to play that style) is to expand like 3x and then go mass air, harass with blink and hope for the best engagement...

but yeah I agree with the league stuff... I'm battling it out in plat league playing the most random games possible and getting reported becasue i got diamond 6x

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1043 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 06:41:34 »
Damn so there are hackers in plat league... playeda guy who blind proxy factory/mine rushed me on a 3player map loool... he has 90% w/l ratio I assume by doing similar ****...

and god damn i hate playing in plat league... either you play people who are literally garbage but who make the game last way longer than it should becasue they do dumb ****ing ****, or you get put vs some guy who was masters/dia and you get some insane match... remember when leagues used to mean something??

#proleague

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1044 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 08:49:53 »

GIMMEEE DAT DIAMONDDOOO BAAACKKKAAAAAAAAA

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #1045 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 17:45:16 »
I went 25/3 last season and no promo.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1046 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 17:49:30 »

Well I've started using this site; http://nios.kr/ which gives you an idea of where u are on the ladder for your region and how close you are to promotion etc... according to this I'm now 7 places away from being back in Diamond, which has to be a good thing? I'm also now loosing more points per loss than winning for wins, which should mean I'm close to promotion? idk... but for now I'm Rank #1 in my division and alot closer to diamond league via that site;

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #1047 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 17:56:09 »

Well I've started using this site; http://nios.kr/ which gives you an idea of where u are on the ladder for your region and how close you are to promotion etc... according to this I'm now 7 places away from being back in Diamond, which has to be a good thing? I'm also now loosing more points per loss than winning for wins, which should mean I'm close to promotion? idk... but for now I'm Rank #1 in my division and alot closer to diamond league via that site;
Show Image

Nice I didn't know about this site thanks :thumb:

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #1048 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 19:36:21 »

while that w/l ratio is very good I think the overal amount of games is low for a promotion

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #1049 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 20:46:11 »

while that w/l ratio is very good I think the overal amount of games is low for a promotion
I'm starting to wonder if it's based on what "division" you are put in. I went on EU and went 15/15 and was promoted. But I know it's rare to get a promo without a lot of wins or win streak.