Author Topic: Vortex PBT Double Shot 104 Set for $32.99 (USD) on Massdrop  (Read 10693 times)

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
Vortex PBT Double Shot 104 Set for $32.99 (USD) on Massdrop
« on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 13:24:00 »
Hey peeps,

I searched for a thread on this, and couldn't find one.  But in case you don't know already, there is a massdrop sale of  Vortex PBT Double Shot 104-piece set for $32.99 (USD).

Price is incredibly low for PBT double shots.  Font is funky Vortex style, but w/e, for $33, I ordered a set just to see what PBT double shots are all about.  And I don't even like MX anymore. 

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/vortex-keycaps

I think the price is at the lowest tier already, so don't wait for deeper discount.  Only 6 days left!

[NOTE to MODS:  if this is a redundant thread, I guess merge it with the other thread, or lock it, or delete it, w/e, you won't hurt my feelings.]
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Vortex PBT Double Shot 104 Set for $32.99 (USD) on Massdrop
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 13:26:55 »
I can't see MassDrop at work but is this buy that you're referring to the same as this one? I'm genuinely curious, not trying to put you down :D.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 13:29:13 »
Yes this is about the 4th thread :p

search sucks.  :thumb:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48639.0

« Last Edit: Wed, 18 September 2013, 13:36:03 by SpAmRaY »

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 13:31:02 »
I can't see MassDrop at work but is this buy that you're referring to the same as this one? I'm genuinely curious, not trying to put you down :D.

Same set, but blue font.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 13:32:02 »
Cool. The title of this post is much more helpful that the other post that I linked.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 16:08:52 »
With over 176 purchased thus far, Vortex will most likely to agree to another run with other colors. Maybe they will invest in new molds for normal legends. Once the legends are fixed, I can't imagine many people on this forum NOT buying a set.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 16:11:40 »
I can see the other colors but I doubt they will do anything about the legends. But we can hope!!

Offline AuRinBei

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 16:29:26 »
Imagine: someone saw that font and said "Yes. This will do. It is worth it to sculpt steel into these shapes."

As it stands, I would never buy these caps, no matter what color they were, unless I could get them for like $15. If they made them in a normal font (Futura, Veranda, Ariel, Helvetica, really any sans-serif) I would pay $100. Good looking PBT doublshots should not be that hard to achieve. Yet I've only seen Deck and Vortex, two kings of stupid looking fonts, make them.
87u || Poker 2

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 17:12:17 »

These are blue-on-white.  They are nicer than red-on-white, IMO.  The font is ugly, it's true.  But the price is very low.  $33 is cheaper than any other 104-piece set you can get, AFAIK.  And it's double shot PBT.  Just for the novelty factor, I would think people would get a set.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 17:14:10 »
Man, if I saw these earlier I would have bought them :C Ended up getting the dyesub ones from techkeys.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 20:44:26 »
A large question that I'd like to ask, are these the Vortex doubleshots that allow backlighting to shine through?
Otherwise, it seems like a dream buy; thick PBT, double shot, and incredibly cheap! Finding a PBT DS for this price was impressive enough, but if it let backlighting through I will get this like Pacman takes a power pellet.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 20:48:28 »
A large question that I'd like to ask, are these the Vortex doubleshots that allow backlighting to shine through?
Otherwise, it seems like a dream buy; thick PBT, double shot, and incredibly cheap! Finding a PBT DS for this price was impressive enough, but if it let backlighting through I will get this like Pacman takes a power pellet.

They have not transparent legends, but you should see a glow coming from under the keycaps.  If the LEDs are sufficiently bright you might see a glow through the top of the keycap.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 21:00:04 »
They have not transparent legends, but you should see a glow coming from under the keycaps.  If the LEDs are sufficiently bright you might see a glow through the top of the keycap.
Like these?
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 21:11:55 »
Like these?
Show Image

Those are actually designed for backlighting, particularly where the LED is above the switch.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 22:47:49 »
Those are actually designed for backlighting, particularly where the LED is above the switch.

That should be perfect, I'm going to order tomorrow and put the 33-key base set on a QF TK (with, nicely enough, blue backlighting) and maybe the rest if the backlighting meshes well.
Too bad it's going to take a while to ship, but I'm excited for my first order of keycaps.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 00:34:20 »
Yes this is about the 4th thread :p

search sucks.  :thumb:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48639.0

Aren't all the other threads locked?

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 01:19:37 »
Vortex just needs to take off italics, and make the fontsize on the modifiers/F row smaller and it would be perfect. Case in point (my poker in its original form):

Seriously, bring back this font and I'd buy a set in a heartbeat. Also, "PgUp" looks a whole lot better than "PU"

Offline isaske

• Stop whining!
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 07:41:44 »
Can someone tell me where to get those exact same caps, only with red fonts?
HOW DO I COMPUTER?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 08:13:18 »
Can someone tell me where to get those exact same caps, only with red fonts?

On TaoBao, I guess, and we'd need a proxy =/  I wish the MassDrop GB offered more options, as they already went far over the anticipated cap lowest price tier cap, so it would have only been beneficial.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline bahamot

• bistropolis - dine with style
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 08:50:24 »
You can get those on different color here.
But they're located at OZ.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline V1ral

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 14:03:39 »
They just closed off this groupbuy. It went way better than Vortex expected, and they currently only have enough materials for 205 sets.

Offline isaske

• Stop whining!
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 15:03:53 »
You can get those on different color here.
But they're located at OZ.
Thanks a lot! I'm thinking of getting the red set, i really like it for some reason, i really don't mind the fonts. The fact that the set is thick and PBT DS is amazing. The price is also really reasonable.
HOW DO I COMPUTER?

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 15:28:02 »
Other colors should be available soon in the group buy section once I've confirmed with Vortex. Hopefully I can get them at the same price as Massdrop or even lower.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 15:29:25 »
Other colors should be available soon in the group buy section once I've confirmed with Vortex. Hopefully I can get them at the same price as Massdrop or even lower.

<3 as usual!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline divito

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 15:30:42 »
Blanks at that price would be fantastic.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline JPG

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 15:34:38 »

Do you know if they can make these with a base color different than white and if they can do them in cherry profile?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 06:30:23 »

Do you know if they can make these with a base color different than white and if they can do them in cherry profile?

Non-white should be possible, if there was enough demand.

Cherry profile is unlikely - they would need new molds.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 11:04:32 »
Wow, wanted to buy it two days ago but waited a bit because of work. Now there's no where else to get it.
Crap birthday present imo.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 11:06:52 »
Wow, wanted to buy it two days ago but waited a bit because of work. Now there's no where else to get it.
Crap birthday present imo.

There may be a group buy here soon.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 16:18:54 »
There may be a group buy here soon.

Ah, definitely looking forward to it. Hopefully they will be in soon.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 21:32:38 »
Feng , See if you can get them to change to colors of the keycaps. It would look real good in grey

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline bahamot

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 01:43:56 »
Feng , See if you can get them to change to colors of the keycaps. It would look real good in grey
+1! Please make it happen

Offline ___q

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 02:49:57 »

Yeah, it's a little weird to do color-on-white as your first sets of doubleshot PBT, since you can get the same color schemes with dyesubs.  You would think they would do dark base colors that you can't dyesub well on top of, to show off their new process.

Offline terran5992

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 05:29:47 »

Yeah, it's a little weird to do color-on-white as your first sets of doubleshot PBT, since you can get the same color schemes with dyesubs.  You would think they would do dark base colors that you can't dyesub well on top of, to show off their new process.

Vortex is just teasing us with their doubleshot pbt

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 06:02:36 »
Unless they are testing the market.

Offline terran5992

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 07:10:37 »
Then they've got a very solid response.

Sold 205 in less than 2 days

Offline bahamot

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 11:04:42 »

Even with the said "ugly" legends. Imagine how many he could sell with proper cherry legend.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 17:59:34 »

Even with the said "ugly" legends. Imagine how many he could sell with proper cherry legend.

Going to get hate, but I prefer their font over Cherry legends very much, they just seem so generic that it's not really interesting.

Offline fatmav

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 18:28:19 »
Blanks at that price would be fantastic.

Blanks would indeed be great, and this option does not need double-shot technology so it could be even cheaper (but the current price is low enough). White for the letter keys and grey for everything else. (I can dream! :P)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 19:40:39 »
I like Vortex and Cherry font, but the Vortex legends are not consistent.  If they had the same semi-bold mildly italic legends on all keycaps they would be much improved.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 19:58:29 »
I like Vortex and Cherry font, but the Vortex legends are not consistent.  If they had the same semi-bold mildly italic legends on all keycaps they would be much improved.

I agree. While the italic is an interesting touch, the inconsistency irritates me; I'd rather have non-italic, but if they do have italics it should at least be ubiquitous.
However, because I might only replace 33 keys instead of my whole TKL keyboard, it could possibly be not that big of a deal.

Offline ___q

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 14:02:14 »
Yeah, italic fonts can look fine when they're consistent (at least IMO).

Case in point, the SGI granite:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 17:37:59 »
Yeah, italic fonts can look fine when they're consistent (at least IMO).

Case in point, the SGI granite:

Show Image

That one is very well done.

The Filco yellow keycaps have slightly italic fonts, and slightly smaller legends.  They are also consistent across the board.

Offline terran5992

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 03:57:30 »
I really like the fonts on the deck keyboards

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 08:07:09 »

They said they can. But they don't have plan on making those yet. It always takes a long time  for them to make things happen. :/

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 09:19:40 »
I really like the fonts on the deck keyboards

Show Image

LOL good one.  :p

They said they can. But they don't have plan on making those yet. It always takes a long time  for them to make things happen. :/

I'd be happy with just the regular white with color letters.  I'm one of the few that liked the blue letters.

So if you can put together a group buy soon then I'm definitely buying it.

:D
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 September 2013, 09:21:33 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 09:41:48 »
I'll launch the group buy tonight and only 5 colors will be available: green, dark-green, pink, orange, and red. They are out of blue fonts.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 09:55:38 »
Nooooooooooo are they gonna restock the blue ones at some point?  Or is it like you said Vortex are slow on things...  >___>

Sighhhh I didn't jump on the MassDrop because I've never used it before and didn't had an account for it.

Life is hard.  *First World Problem*

lol

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline JPG

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 09:56:16 »
I'll launch the group buy tonight and only 5 colors will be available: green, dark-green, pink, orange, and red. They are out of blue fonts.

Will they be cherry profile? Is the base color only white?

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 10:00:21 »
Nooooooooooo are they gonna restock the blue ones at some point?  Or is it like you said Vortex are slow on things...  >___>

Sighhhh I didn't jump on the MassDrop because I've never used it before and didn't had an account for it.

Life is hard.  *First World Problem*

lol

They said they will restock the blue ones, but who knows when it will be. :( I should have bought a blue set for myself on the MassDrop.

Will they be cherry profile? Is the base color only white?

No they will only be OEM profile. The base color will be only white.