Author Topic: Hello! As a long time lurker, I am ready to get a Mech!  (Read 3207 times)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Hello! As a long time lurker, I am ready to get a Mech!
« on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 13:46:47 »
Hello everybody!

My WASD sampler is coming in the mail tomorrow, and after trying out the switches, I plan to buy my first board.

I'm going to do some gaming but mostly typing for school and programming.

I have around $150 USD to spend, and I plan to get the Ducky Shine 3 in either blues or browns, or a 75% backlit board.

However, after doing my lurking, I have realized that browns aren't so good, and that clears are much better.

So can you guys show me some backlit full size or 75% boards with clears? The WASD Code sold out, so I probably can't get my hands on it :(

Offline nullstring

Re: Hello! As a long time lurker, I am ready to get a Mech!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 14:19:58 »
Many new comers want backlighting, but it's rather overrated. Learn to touch type and it's completely useless.

There is nothing wrong with browns, it's all in the switch you prefer. Some people say that blues are best for typing and reds are best for gaming, but I feel thats really just a misconception. IE, Reds can work fantastically for typing if you don't need any tactility.

I prefer browns because: I like to have the slight tactility, but don't want any of that clicky nonsense to get in the way whilst being more aggressive.
Basically, don't read into a certain switch 'not being so good' and find the one you would prefer for your own uses. They are all great.

Clears are MUCH heavier than browns and therefore you might be looking at more finger fatigue depending on your own fingers. I know for sure I couldn't use them myself.

So basically, don't listen to the opinions of others. keyswitch choice is almost completely subjective and as thus you really just want to find your switch, not the best switch
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 September 2013, 14:21:50 by nullstring »

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 15:37:09 »
Thanks for the help!

I guess when the wasd sampler comes tomorrow, I'll select the switch to use.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 22:12:33 »
Many new comers want backlighting, but it's rather overrated. Learn to touch type and it's completely useless.

There is nothing wrong with browns, it's all in the switch you prefer. Some people say that blues are best for typing and reds are best for gaming, but I feel thats really just a misconception. IE, Reds can work fantastically for typing if you don't need any tactility.

I prefer browns because: I like to have the slight tactility, but don't want any of that clicky nonsense to get in the way whilst being more aggressive.
Basically, don't read into a certain switch 'not being so good' and find the one you would prefer for your own uses. They are all great.

Clears are MUCH heavier than browns and therefore you might be looking at more finger fatigue depending on your own fingers. I know for sure I couldn't use them myself.

So basically, don't listen to the opinions of others. keyswitch choice is almost completely subjective and as thus you really just want to find your switch, not the best switch

One of the most confusing posts I have ever seen. It makes a huge amount of generalizations about other switches, most being completely false. It is common knowledge that reds have the worst typing accuracy and therefore the worst speed, and blues give the best typing ability. There is no such thing as not 'needing' tactility, because the closer feeling allows the fingers to rise earlier than bottoming out on a red, which he probably does because he's an 'aggressive' typist (watch out). Oh, and then he says to not listen to the opinions for others.

Also, I highly doubt that he's an 'aggressive' typist if using clears wears him out. Clears use 55g, which is only 5g greater than the blue and 10g greater than the brown/red, which makes the poster seem just like he's dissuading you from a choice.

Here's a more objective guide.

Blues are great for typing. I could get to 140 wpm on these switches with great accuracy and rather little fluctuation, while on Reds I have a max of mid 130's and much more variation in speed because of the inaccuracy. However, reds are very, very comfortable and great for double-tapping, which I have difficulty on using blues. Blacks are heavy reds, which I imagine is kind of counterintuitive because they lack the comfort of the reds and the tactility of anything else. Not too sure about browns, but from the favorable things that I've heard about them, they're great keyboards for everything and I look forward to getting one.

Greens are definitely 'heavy' switches, requiring 80g and some serious manhandling to make work. I could only get to mid 130's, albeit with almost 100% accuracy. However, I get tired very quickly using these keys, but they did train me to not bottom out, which is invaluable. Clears are said by many GH members to be the best, by being tactile and medium stiff, allowing greater force without bottoming out.

So, I'll actually try to answer your question on how to find some MX clear boards. If you go to keyboardwow, there are two colors of Leopold FC660M with gray and black. They are both 75% keyboards (I believe.. I only really know 60%, TKL, and FS). Here's a picture of the black colored

Here are the links to the site: http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/shop-mechanical-keyboard-by-sw/leopold-fc660m-mechanical-keyb/lid=35177400 for black, and the grey is also there at http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/shop-mechanical-keyboard-by-sw/leopold-fc660m-mechanical-keyb/lid=35722930. The board with clears is $10 extra, totaling $119 before shipping, which will probably be $20 or so, but still less than $150. I haven't used Leopold, only CM and Corsair, but I have heard good things about their keyboards and hopefully if you get it, you will enjoy. The Leopold also comes with Browns, but you could probably get that cheaper from some other website and with less shipping time.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline nullstring

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 12:14:55 »

One of the most confusing posts I have ever seen. It makes a huge amount of generalizations about other switches, most being completely false. It is common knowledge that reds have the worst typing accuracy and therefore the worst speed, and blues give the best typing ability. There is no such thing as not 'needing' tactility, because the closer feeling allows the fingers to rise earlier than bottoming out on a red, which he probably does because he's an 'aggressive' typist (watch out). Oh, and then he says to not listen to the opinions for others.

Also, I highly doubt that he's an 'aggressive' typist if using clears wears him out. Clears use 55g, which is only 5g greater than the blue and 10g greater than the brown/red, which makes the poster seem just like he's dissuading you from a choice.

Here's a more objective guide.

Blues are great for typing. I could get to 140 wpm on these switches with great accuracy and rather little fluctuation, while on Reds I have a max of mid 130's and much more variation in speed because of the inaccuracy. However, reds are very, very comfortable and great for double-tapping, which I have difficulty on using blues. Blacks are heavy reds, which I imagine is kind of counterintuitive because they lack the comfort of the reds and the tactility of anything else. Not too sure about browns, but from the favorable things that I've heard about them, they're great keyboards for everything and I look forward to getting one.

Greens are definitely 'heavy' switches, requiring 80g and some serious manhandling to make work. I could only get to mid 130's, albeit with almost 100% accuracy. However, I get tired very quickly using these keys, but they did train me to not bottom out, which is invaluable. Clears are said by many GH members to be the best, by being tactile and medium stiff, allowing greater force without bottoming out.

So, I'll actually try to answer your question on how to find some MX clear boards. If you go to keyboardwow, there are two colors of Leopold FC660M with gray and black. They are both 75% keyboards (I believe.. I only really know 60%, TKL, and FS). Here's a picture of the black colored
Show Image

Here are the links to the site: http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/shop-mechanical-keyboard-by-sw/leopold-fc660m-mechanical-keyb/lid=35177400 for black, and the grey is also there at http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/shop-mechanical-keyboard-by-sw/leopold-fc660m-mechanical-keyb/lid=35722930. The board with clears is $10 extra, totaling $119 before shipping, which will probably be $20 or so, but still less than $150. I haven't used Leopold, only CM and Corsair, but I have heard good things about their keyboards and hopefully if you get it, you will enjoy. The Leopold also comes with Browns, but you could probably get that cheaper from some other website and with less shipping time.

To each their own. It really doesn't matter which switch is 'best' for whatever. What really matters is which you prefer.
There are plenty of people who prefer reds over blues for typing alone.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 September 2013, 12:16:26 by nullstring »

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 15:13:20 »
To each their own. It really doesn't matter which switch is 'best' for whatever. What really matters is which you prefer.

I'm sure. I would rather trust my own experiences and Sean Wrona as to the best switch to use rather than some sub-120 geekhackers (not you, just others).
I also have never made any claims about which are best, I have just said the purpose of the switches and what they work best on. Physically some are just better, because there are less barriers to overcome in double clicking, which makes linear switches mechanically superior in that regard. Clicking provides feedback before linear, which is also substantiable evidence, making it superior in rapid typing, as Sean Wrona would say.

I'm just trying to tell the guy to not be stupid and do something like buy MX Black or Gray switches for typing, or buying MX Greens for gaming. As far as general applications, any of the lighter, common switches (Red, Blue, Brown) will do for most things, just that blues and reds are worse for gaming and typing, respectively, physically. That doesn't mean that you'll be better than them, it's just that most people are.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 15:45:43 »

I'm sure. I would rather trust my own experiences and Sean Wrona as to the best switch to use rather than some sub-120 geekhackers (not you, just others).
I also have never made any claims about which are best, I have just said the purpose of the switches and what they work best on. Physically some are just better, because there are less barriers to overcome in double clicking, which makes linear switches mechanically superior in that regard. Clicking provides feedback before linear, which is also substantiable evidence, making it superior in rapid typing, as Sean Wrona would say.

I'm just trying to tell the guy to not be stupid and do something like buy MX Black or Gray switches for typing, or buying MX Greens for gaming. As far as general applications, any of the lighter, common switches (Red, Blue, Brown) will do for most things, just that blues and reds are worse for gaming and typing, respectively, physically. That doesn't mean that you'll be better than them, it's just that most people are.
I find this somewhat hypocritical as you are a sub-120 geekhacker yourself.  Personally, I can agree that some switches are exceptionally better than others in certain applications, but at the same time, you have to realize that typing is completely personal preference. Yes, you may be less accurate with reds, but that does not mean you cannot type as well as you would on blues. It simply takes more time and effort to get used to it. At the same time, you can game with greens, but it may be less enjoyable for some, or more enjoyable for some, once again, completely personal preference. I think the best advice I can give is to try out the different switches, see what you would be most comfortable with, and then go from there. Do not believe that you NEED blues to type, as this is completely false, and I have gotten pretty similar typing speeds with my brothers QFR with reds, and my QFR with blues.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 16:23:48 »
Well, I've tried every Cherry MX switch, Cherry ML switches, and Cherry MY switches.  And I can tell you guys that Topre switches are superior for both typing and gaming.  So maybe try a Topre keyboard?
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 18:47:50 »
Well, I've tried every Cherry MX switch, Cherry ML switches, and Cherry MY switches.  And I can tell you guys that Topre switches are superior for both typing and gaming.  So maybe try a Topre keyboard?

Is the type heaven any good? Its $150 from mechanicalkeyboards.com

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 00:24:50 »
I find this somewhat hypocritical as you are a sub-120 geekhacker yourself.  Personally, I can agree that some switches are exceptionally better than others in certain applications, but at the same time, you have to realize that typing is completely personal preference. Yes, you may be less accurate with reds, but that does not mean you cannot type as well as you would on blues. It simply takes more time and effort to get used to it. At the same time, you can game with greens, but it may be less enjoyable for some, or more enjoyable for some, once again, completely personal preference. I think the best advice I can give is to try out the different switches, see what you would be most comfortable with, and then go from there. Do not believe that you NEED blues to type, as this is completely false, and I have gotten pretty similar typing speeds with my brothers QFR with reds, and my QFR with blues.

I have never said that he needs blue. In fact, I said quite the opposite that all could do, while blues are simply better. You are ignoring everything that I say.
Also, I am not a sub-120 GH, as can be easily evidenced by visiting my page. http://10fastfingers.com/user/2956/. Everything that you stated about my argument was an incorrect assumption.

Finally, you don't state anything about your tying speed. If you never use blues for typing and always use reds, your speeds will obviously suffer.
tl;dr Your arguments are both incorrect and foolish assumptions. It is not completely personal preference, because a majority of gamers would never use a green switch board for gaming, because it's so heavy and tactile. At that point it becomes that your preference is so strong that you ignore specialization. It's like trying to use a typewriter for speed typing. Maybe Barbara Blackburn could do it, but you and I certainly would prefer any other mechanical keyboard.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 21:59:53 »
After trying out the switches, I find linears nice, but probally not good to stop bottoming out.

I don't really like the blues, the distance from the click to bottoming out is too little compared to the browns or clears, and I feel I can't touch type as efficiently.

That leaves the browns and the clears. The browns are a bit mushy, and if I'm not feeling for the bump, I won't feel it. The clears have a better bump, but the springs are a bit on the heavy side.

So I plan to either buy ergo clears (oh boy desoldering all the switches) or a topre type heaven.

But I definitely plan  to build a backlit ergodox with either ergo clears or blues in the future. Anyone know where to buy them now?

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 11:28:14 »
Well I bought a keycool 84 w/ browns from banggood for $60 shipped

its coming in 2 weeks, so excited

Now I need to spend 1,000 buying keycaps