Author Topic: Why are my PBT Caps getting Shiny after a Few Days?!  (Read 7806 times)

Offline stancato9

Why are my PBT Caps getting Shiny after a Few Days?!
« on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 15:13:17 »
Just got a Poker 2 and the keycaps are already getting shiny after 3 days of use. What is going on?
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline Defying

• (suffer on)
Re: Why are my PBT Caps getting Shiny after a Few Days?!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 15:16:35 »
Can you post a picture?  :-\

Offline stancato9

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 15:19:41 »

No method currently. But my D key as well as a few others look glossy and shiny already..
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 15:36:18 »

No method currently. But my D key as well as a few others look glossy and shiny already..

Here are the only possible explanations:

1.  You had greasy fingers.

2.  You introduced something greasy or oily onto the keys.

3.  You do not actually have PBT keycaps.  Either you, or the person who sold you the keyboard was mistaken, and you really got ABS.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 September 2013, 19:12:46 by eth0s »
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 15:51:37 »

Here are the only possible explanations:

1.  You had greasy fingers.

2.  You introduced something greasy or oily onto the keys.

3.  You do not actually have PBT keycaps.  Either you are the person who sold you the keyboard was mistaken, and you really got ABS.

Greasy fingers wouldn't do it that fast.. I just tested it on a spare key and grease wipes off.

And it's a poker 2 with stock keycaps.. They are in fact PBT.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 15:55:43 »
Are you sure they're getting shiny? It could be the lighting in your room. Also, if they are laser etched, it may be wearing off. However, PBT keycaps definitely don't shine after a few days. It would take years of vigorous use for PBT to even begin to shine.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 15:59:26 »
Are you sure they're getting shiny? It could be the lighting in your room. Also, if they are laser etched, it may be wearing off. However, PBT keycaps definitely don't shine after a few days. It would take years of vigorous use for PBT to even begin to shine.

Checked from a bunch of angles it is shiny for sure. The matte texture is gone and its replaced by a darker, shiny colour that is smooth to the touch. This is quite disappointing..
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline Defying

• (suffer on)
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 15:59:52 »
I honestly can't see any real reason for new PBT caps to shine. There is no way they are shining unless there is an oil/grease on them, or if it was really ABS.  :confused:

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 16:00:59 »
If they are in fact shiny they simply cannot be PBT, so either you're seeing things or they're ABS. ABS doesn't even shine anywhere near that quickly, so I honestly can't see how they could be shiny already even if they were ABS.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline stancato9

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 16:07:04 »
Well they are poker 2 stock caps that are PBT.

It can't be grease or anything like that because I don't eat at the computer or touch my computer equipment before washing my hands.

Well, I give up maybe I have acid fingers or it came like that and I didn't notice. Who knows.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 16:08:34 »

It can't be grease or anything like that because I don't eat at the computer or touch my computer equipment before washing my hands.

Well, I give up maybe I have acid fingers or it came like that and I didn't notice. Who knows.

Acid fingers would be an awesome super power.

Offline Reomero

• Manual breather
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 17:57:43 »
I find that hard to believe, TBH. :p

If only you can post pics.. :-X

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 18:01:36 »
Wash 'em? Could be some crap which got on them in transit?

Bowl of soap water + good scrub = Profit?
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 19:01:44 »
Wash indeed!  That will quickly tell whether it is just some artificially introduced substance, or whether they are really shining.

Try denture tabs.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 19:14:58 »
Wash indeed!  That will quickly tell whether it is just some artificially introduced substance, or whether they are really shining.

Try denture tabs.

Or pull caps and wash in soap and water in a bucket.

If they are still shiny and feeling greasy after being washed, then they are used ABS.  You got scammed is all I can say.  You did not get new PBT.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 19:43:01 »
PBT caps can indeed get shiny.  But in 3 days, It just doesn't seem possible.  Most likely dirty.  Or they are actually another kind of keycap, as others have mentioned.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 20:20:58 »

Try denture tabs.

Or pull caps and wash in soap and water in a bucket.

If they are still shiny and feeling greasy after being washed, then they are used ABS.  You got scammed is all I can say.  You did not get new PBT.

Lol..got scammed by qtan right? When buying a new Poker 2

Anyways I washed the caps with soap and it did nothing. Tried rubbing alcohol and the shine was still there.

It's not a huge deal I have a new set on the way. Just a little concerning.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 20:26:17 »
You should really try to post some pictures. And qtan is a very reputable seller.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 20:43:36 »
qTan is reputable, but the Poker has been known to come with all manner of different keys.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 20:44:31 »
qTan is reputable, but the Poker has been known to come with all manner of different keys.

The poker 2? This is the first I've heard of anyone having problems with the stock key caps.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 20:49:56 »
I haven't even heard of ABS going shiny after a few days.

The EK green set I am using now I have had for over a week, with a reasonable amount of usage, and even the space bar has absolutely no shine.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 20:53:00 »

The EK green set I am using now I have had for over a week, with a reasonable amount of usage, and even the space bar has absolutely no shine.

How are you liking those?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 21:06:54 »

The contrast was way to low in the cave I work in, and I couldn't read the legends.

Now I have a LED lamp pointed at the keyboard and it has really brought the colour of the keycaps out, as well as making the legends clearer (although I had a few goes at positioning the lamp so the light did not reflect of the pad printing).

With the white light on them they are a really bright apple green - really nice actually!

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 00:32:27 »

The contrast was way to low in the cave I work in, and I couldn't read the legends.

Now I have a LED lamp pointed at the keyboard and it has really brought the colour of the keycaps out, as well as making the legends clearer (although I had a few goes at positioning the lamp so the light did not reflect of the pad printing).

With the white light on them they are a really bright apple green - really nice actually!

Show Image

Am I the only one who doesn't flip their spacebar wtf?
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 September 2013, 01:01:10 by MKULTRA »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 00:36:46 »

Show Image

Am I the only one who doesn't flip their spacebar wtf?

I am trying this for the first time, although as these are OEM profile the difference is not too noticable.

I am eagerly anticipating the arrival of a Cherry profile set of two in the not too distant future - I will try again then.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 09:46:01 »
You should really try to post some pictures. And qtan is a very reputable seller.

ditto..........

if you can not post pictures to support your claim to the community then we cannot help

we would like to help you, however none of us have ever experienced what you are claiming- PBT or even ABS in the time frame you are referring too

........and to boot there is a reputable seller, member of the community that you have connected to selling something other than described that you in good faith should clear
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 10:11:18 »

Acid fingers would be an awesome super power.

Not very awesome for his g/f lol.

That or maybe he type with all his fury and might.  Hulk fingers.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline llovro

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 10:27:57 »
pour some water into a glass and add some salt. Throw one keycap from your poker into it. If it sinks it's pbt. If it stays on the top or sinks very slowly it's abs. This is how you'll know what keycaps you really have.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 23:10:05 »
pour some water into a glass and add some salt. Throw one keycap from your poker into it. If it sinks it's pbt. If it stays on the top or sinks very slowly it's abs. This is how you'll know what keycaps you really have.

I've never heard of this test, that's awesome.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 23:54:12 »

I've never heard of this test, that's awesome.
There is a video on youtube, and it's work.  POM will also sink.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 11:19:37 »
I'm using the stock keycaps from the Poker II. IT doesn't "Shine" but the font tends to turn dirty. Maybe that's what you meant. Not too sure. Might get a spray and just spray dem fonts :D
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60