Author Topic: Cheap Keycaps  (Read 1959 times)

Offline nsrexler

Cheap Keycaps
« on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 14:19:19 »
What is the absolute cheapest full set of MX-compatible keycaps out there, including shipping to the US? The cheapest I can find are the ABS ones that EK sells, which come out to about $30 with shipping.
I don't actually intend on buying any, I'm just curious how cheap you can get keycaps.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Cheap Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 14:23:35 »
Harvest caps from a G81-7000. In the last GMK buy, inlikeflynn was selling those caps for $10. I've gotten other G81-7000 cap sets for $15 shipped and free. These are cheap too.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 14:24:48 »
Well if your not buying then what does it matter :p

Also some people sell caps from their OEM boards for cheap

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 14:40:45 »
Why you 2 ^^ not recommend Tai Hao GB? Wont be as cheap when resold but keypop will be selling brand new sets for not too bad. I guess about $20? + shipping?
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 14:51:20 »
Why you 2 ^^ not recommend Tai Hao GB? Wont be as cheap when resold but keypop will be selling brand new sets for not too bad. I guess about $20? + shipping?

I forgot about those!!

Offline uzoc

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 14:53:28 »
104? black keys, text transparent Mionix Zibal 60's - $15 and free shipping (~14 cents each).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mionix-Zibal-60-Mechanical-Keyboard-Replacement-Key-Set-/190778883681?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6b4ebe61
The keys have a matte feel/look that I thought I was not going to like, but I did (it makes the keyboard look more professional?)

For the EK's you have to buy two sets (the shipping is the same) so you can get them at ~25 cents each.
Maybe more sets (same shipping?) in which case you'll pay less than 25 cents each, but don't forget the key caps cases you'll get!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 14:54:37 »

Damn, I completely forgot about those Tai Hao sets like ray did @.@

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 19:33:18 »
Tai Hao - $6.5 for the set (although the GB raisde that to $9 to include a few extras _ fees etc.), plus postage.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ