Author Topic: Keycaps for laptops  (Read 1356 times)

Offline jmchargue

Keycaps for laptops
« on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 14:30:36 »
So, bought the HHKB P2 as my first mech, and I have to say, it feels pretty good. One thing I noticed, however, is that the actuation feels an awful lot like my 2008 macbook pro, but with a longer throw.

In all honesty, the main benefit I feel with the HH is the keycap texture. Does there exist non-oem keycaps for an early 2008 macbook pro that aren't so damn shiny/slippery?

Offline Bottles

Re: Keycaps for laptops
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 22:04:39 »
http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade?q=macbook+keyboard+stickers

You could always get some stickers that would probally do away with the shine/slipperyness.
As for non OEM keys; I would think that because its apple they wouldnt allow people to make replacement parts for their computers.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Keycaps for laptops
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 23:12:03 »
There's not much you can do with scissor switch keycaps - stickers (as noted above), and somewhere had wooden keycaps, although they might also have been stickerish.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ