Author Topic: Hello from Italy  (Read 1403 times)

Offline ragnog81

Hello from Italy
« on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 06:01:05 »
Hey all.

I am the new owner of a CM Storm QuickFire Rapid with Cherry MX Black switches.

I am new to mechanical keyboards, I just moved to the QFR from a Logitech G110.
I am truly impressed by the change.
I bought the new keyboard mostly for gaming, with clear ideas about what I needed (great feeling, precision, reaction) and not (macros, backlighting etc.) and I'm very very very satisfied.

I'm now looking to improve even more the (already awesome) feeling with my new keyboard.
Next steps:

Finally, there is one point I'm not still completely sure: I love MX Black switches so far, and I had the opportunity to try (for few minutes) MX Reds.
Initial feeling was that reds are way too soft for me, while black are a bit hard but perfect (also I tend to do many typos, so that's another reason why I have chosen reds).
Anyway, I'm not completely sure about red vs black (purely for gaming), so I'm thinking about buying a QFR red (I also like it's red plate look) and return one of the twos after a test period.

Please provide suggestions / comments.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 September 2013, 06:03:10 by ragnog81 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Hello from Italy
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 06:09:07 »
You should definitely try out the two switches for yourself.  Switches are definitely a personal preference thing. I personally don't like Reds because they're too light. I have 65g springs in my Epsilon right now and that's the lightest spring for linear switches I would use.

Anyways, welcome to GeekHack!

Offline SnareSpectre

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 08:40:53 »
I agree with CPTBadAss. After a ton of research, I decided to go with blacks for my first board, hated them, then returned the keyboard after trying blues and loving them.

It's definitely all personal preference, and with QFRs you don't have to break the bank to try out different kinds. Heck, they even have a wider assortment of switch types than most high-end models out there.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 11:06:20 »
I actually prefer lighter switches. I type fastest by a few percent on MX Blues, but I can do okay on the linear switches, though I haven't had a chance to try Browns.
For extended gaming, Red is generally preferred (I have reds, and I like their feeling a lot), but if it really feels way too light, then stick with Blacks. However, I would think that many gamers don't like Blacks because they are no different from the Red, but heavier and therefore more fatiguing in long and even short sessions.

From personal experience, I used the MX Greens (like blue but with 80g rather than 50g) and though I got used to the force rather quickly, I would always get tired halfway through a typing test and my speed would slow; it also made it impossible for me to bounce across keys as with a blue, and was therefore slower. It is certainly more accurate, though. But MX Black is lighter than Green, so it might be the perfect intermediary if you like some resistance in your switches.

Either way, hope you enjoy your resulting keyboard!
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 11:17:07 »
Welcome to Geekhack, I would get in on a Group Buy for some awesome keycaps!
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ