Author Topic: Home keys  (Read 5725 times)

Offline hoggy

Home keys
« on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 00:52:04 »
I know the home keys are in the centre of the keyboard, reducing the travel difference for keystrokes that aren't on the home row, but I wondered if there wasn't a better arrangement. Sort of an alternative to learning a new layout...

It makes more sense for qwerty,azerty etc, as dvorak, colmak and maltron have tried to put the common keys under those fingers.
Perhaps having the middle fingers resting on the top row, with the other fingers in the normal position.
qwEr uIop
ASdF JkL;

(with the proposed home keys in capitals).

Any thoughts?

GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Larken

Re: Home keys
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 01:33:56 »
it really depends on the size of your hand and length of your fingers as to which specific keys your fingers rest upon naturally. Personally I've been resting mine on AWEF and JIO; for years, because it just feels more natural to me. Conversely, resting my fingers on the home row for an extend period of time is pretty uncomfortable.

In terms of finger movement on QWERTY, home row is likely the most efficient in terms of finger movement, though it may not be the most comfortable. But if you add in colemak, dvorak or other alternative layouts theoretically designed for efficiency, its a whole new can of worms for discussion.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline kaltar

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 03:16:45 »
Home keys are a way to keep your hands in a position where you know where the rest of the keys are. If you like other position, use it. It will be your point of reference, however, the standard positions make sense so you have easier and faster access to all the keys.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 22:26:47 »
Theoretically I would think that it'd be worse by design, because with fingers on the home row, they either move up or down, but never more than one row. If they were on the top row, they would move down one or two rows, which I imagine would be straining if you reached for a key like '?', 'Z' or pretty much any bottom row key. I personally like a position with three on the top row, and index fingers on the middle, but I type Dvorak so that might be less applicable.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 00:39:01 »
All good points.

Perhaps a compromise, asdf for the left home row, but jiop for the right.  The , and . keys have a pretty low frequency...

GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline kaltar

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 16:42:24 »
Theoretically I would think that it'd be worse by design, because with fingers on the home row, they either move up or down, but never more than one row. If they were on the top row, they would move down one or two rows, which I imagine would be straining if you reached for a key like '?', 'Z' or pretty much any bottom row key.

Well, if you try the Kinesis Contoured or even the ergodox, you would change your mind about strain on fingers moving down 2 rows

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 18:01:01 »
Theoretically I would think that it'd be worse by design, because with fingers on the home row, they either move up or down, but never more than one row. If they were on the top row, they would move down one or two rows, which I imagine would be straining if you reached for a key like '?', 'Z' or pretty much any bottom row key.

Well, if you try the Kinesis Contoured or even the ergodox, you would change your mind about strain on fingers moving down 2 rows

I don't use a Kinesis, I use a normal keyboard, as do 99% of people. Therefore I find it meaningless to waste my time thinking of a hand position for something that I don't use. Tell me how your hands feel after typing for a few hours on your format, if you can still type.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline kaltar

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 09:50:17 »

I don't use a Kinesis, I use a normal keyboard, as do 99% of people. Therefore I find it meaningless to waste my time thinking of a hand position for something that I don't use. Tell me how your hands feel after typing for a few hours on your format, if you can still type.

My hands feel wonderful after typing 8 hours straight on a Kinesis. using all rows. My hands fill tired after using a conventional keyboard after just 1 hour.
Home position is in both asdf and jkl;

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 10:38:03 »

My hands feel wonderful after typing 8 hours straight on a Kinesis. using all rows. My hands fill tired after using a conventional keyboard after just 1 hour.
Home position is in both asdf and jkl;

I'm pretty sure that you use all rows on any keyboard, and I find it implausible that you typed more than passingly for eight hours on a Kinesis without eating, using the restroom, or otherwise resting your fingers.
Either way, you haven't refuted anything I've said. I don't use normal configuration with asdf and jkl;, and my fingers get tired after maybe three hours, and I probably type much faster.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 01:31:08 »
Theoretically I would think that it'd be worse by design, because with fingers on the home row, they either move up or down, but never more than one row. If they were on the top row, they would move down one or two rows, which I imagine would be straining if you reached for a key like '?', 'Z' or pretty much any bottom row key. I personally like a position with three on the top row, and index fingers on the middle, but I type Dvorak so that might be less applicable.

Looking at the Dvorak layout, using 3 upper row keys and index finger on middle row looks like it could work really well, especially if you swap the 6 middle and upper row characters. The lower row is populated with rare chars, so it's okay to "stretch" for them. Also puts the numbers and symbols more in reach.

Personally, AWEF / JIO; is most comfortable for me, but when I am using a standard board, I don't use home keys at all, just float my hands all over the place.

The physical layout of a Kinesis is certainly better for 2 key stretches and the fingers fall naturally on the default home row. However, this may well turn into a physical layout discussion rather than a home row position discussion very quickly if we start discussing which is better. AFAIK, this is meant for standard physical layouts.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 09:57:01 »
When I'm resting my fingers tend to hover on:

Left: Caps W E F
Right: J I O ;

I've learned to type from the home row way back when, but over time that was the layout that became natural to me.  Now, if I rest with my fingers on the actual home row, it's uncomfortable and cramped.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 11:00:49 »

Looking at the Dvorak layout, using 3 upper row keys and index finger on middle row looks like it could work really well, especially if you swap the 6 middle and upper row characters. The lower row is populated with rare chars, so it's okay to "stretch" for them. Also puts the numbers and symbols more in reach.

Personally, AWEF / JIO; is most comfortable for me, but when I am using a standard board, I don't use home keys at all, just float my hands all over the place.

The physical layout of a Kinesis is certainly better for 2 key stretches and the fingers fall naturally on the default home row. However, this may well turn into a physical layout discussion rather than a home row position discussion very quickly if we start discussing which is better. AFAIK, this is meant for standard physical layouts.

I've been getting carpal tunnel, so having my fingers spread out wide is rather painful and hard to control above 140 wpm. When I'm typing stories or the like, where I use punctuation, I use whatever's comfortable, generally AWEF/JIOP. However, when I'm doing typing tests without punctuation, I use standard ASDF with a wide HIOP.