Author Topic: The new Art Lebedev is coming to mass production  (Read 3645 times)

Offline nappi11

• #finnsofgeekhack
The new Art Lebedev is coming to mass production
« on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 14:09:19 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 October 2013, 14:15:45 by nappi11 »
Focus FK-747 A (Complicated Blue Alps) - Compaq RT 235BT (NMB Dome with slider) -  Irish Key Tronic (Rubber dome) - Ducky Mini (Cherry MX Blue) - Dell AT102W (Complicated Black Alps)

Offline saturnotaku

Re: The new Art Lebedev is coming to mass production
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 14:15:29 »
The amazing thing about this is that...he is actually using LiveJournal to provide updates.  :eek:

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 14:24:30 »
I like that one more than the larger one.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline uzoc

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 14:49:56 »
Definitely, the only possible future for keyboards (when the price lowers!).

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 15:58:58 »
Personally, I don't see the point. I like a keyboard that looks good as much any geekhacker, but I'd rather look at my display while using the keyboard than the fancy colour pictures on the keys. Feel is more important to me. The original didn't even have mechanical keys and I doubt this one does either. Guess I'm just not the target market...
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 16:25:19 »
I'm assuming someone who can't type without looking at the keyboard.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 11:50:15 »
Personally, I don't see the point. I like a keyboard that looks good as much any geekhacker, but I'd rather look at my display while using the keyboard than the fancy colour pictures on the keys. Feel is more important to me. The original didn't even have mechanical keys and I doubt this one does either. Guess I'm just not the target market...

Which one is original? Maximus has/had Cherry ML switches.

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 15:31:22 »

The selling point of this is that it is reprogrammable for different macros and hot keys based on what app you're using. Hop into photoshop, and it shows you what the different shortcuts are. Jump into a game, and you can see what key is mapped to what, and even do things like have ammo counts for the various things displayed on the keys they're mapped to. There is a lot of uses for having context sensitive information to be displayed.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 15:38:32 »

The selling point of this is that it is reprogrammable for different macros and hot keys based on what app you're using. Hop into photoshop, and it shows you what the different shortcuts are. Jump into a game, and you can see what key is mapped to what, and even do things like have ammo counts for the various things displayed on the keys they're mapped to. There is a lot of uses for having context sensitive information to be displayed.

This only matters if you aren't familiar with the app, and need guidance. Kinda expensive keyboard for that.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 15:42:40 »

This only matters if you aren't familiar with the app, and need guidance. Kinda expensive keyboard for that.

100% true. It's kind of like putting secondary legends on the 'V' keycap as "paste". You only need it if you're not familiar.

However, I still think some people, not necessarily keyboard enthusiasts, will buy this because of the gimmicky keycaps/display.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 17:34:02 »

Which one is original? Maximus has/had Cherry ML switches.

but the newer three-key art lebedev keyboard is rubberdome. I suspect it's that.

Offline pcandkbguy

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 17:38:14 »
Strange implementation of a very good idea

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 19:24:00 »
Yeh it's domes chiclet type. I liked the older prototype better looking

I don't see it being that pleasant to type on, but I do see the possibilities. Switch language layouts, assign arbitrary images (forget novelty key groupbuys).

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 20:54:55 »
Cool concept, kinda ugly. Would like to know how the keys feel.
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 15:33:28 »

100% true. It's kind of like putting secondary legends on the 'V' keycap as "paste". You only need it if you're not familiar.

However, I still think some people, not necessarily keyboard enthusiasts, will buy this because of the gimmicky keycaps/display.

For me, while I may know the shortcuts, and be able to type without looking at the keyboard, there is reasons I wouldn't mind having something like this. For instance, if I am playing a game, and I have the numbers mapped to various weapons, and other keys for various other expendables, it would be cool to look down and see exactly how much ammo for each thing I had left. Lots of games now are going for more of a minimalist HUD on screen, and I've seen some that in various modes would not have any HUD.

Another kinda neat thing you could do with something like this, is to set it up for showing a keyboard heatmap.

Still, most of it would be just for show, and it is a bit expensive for something like that.