Author Topic: got my new 60%... Filco Majestouch Minila  (Read 2910 times)

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
got my new 60%... Filco Majestouch Minila
« on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 22:14:54 »
I am a typist that uses my keyboard for several hours every day. I love my Unicomp for the tactile pleasure, but the sound can go from glorious to mind numbing depending on my mood and the space taken up is considerable. I was nervous before jumping in to the 60% arena for the first time. I think they look better than full sized and TKL boards but the functionality kept me away. I decided to take the chance on a Filco Majestouch Minila with cherry brown switches. I like them alot but I've ordered a set of red .40 O-rings to experiment with a different sound in the times that I do bottom out. Plus since the layout is so new; I justified getting yellow blank arrow keys for the lower right pad and a red blank key for the escape and backspace key. (They look standard size... I hope they fit)... Can't wait for them to get here.

I decided on Filco since everyone was giving the Majestouch 2 and Ninja rave reviews for quality of construction and it's solid execution. I read people ripping apart the layout on the Minila; but I personally saw that it would work for my needs. The biggest drawback has been retraining myself to use the perfectly placed 'FN' keys to execute the backspace and the 'esdf' numpad. I can't wait for this to become second  nature; as I think it will be more efficient than even a standard layout once it becomes ingrained.

I don't even mind the plastic piece on the back that everyone was taking an issue with. In photos it may resemble the lines of an old computer- but in person, it looks sleek, modern, sturdy and elegant.

So far so good!
37695-037697-137699-237701-3

Realforce 87U Silent (work) | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco Minila browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
Re: got my new 60%... Filco Majestouch Minila
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 22:28:27 »
Nice impression!  :thumb:

My only griped at the layout is the short space bar. I am not sure if I am able to adjust to that.

Offline ShakeR

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://mechanicalkeyboards.com
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 18:00:55 »
Do you find the lights next to your monitor help your eyes?  I've been thinking of doing something similar.
MechanicalKeyboards.com - What do you type on?

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 10:45:31 »
Sorry for the delay... the space bar was no issue to adjust too. The lights are more about strategic ways to cover up small holes from prior wall hangings. With that said, I have found I like one of them on... two is too much...

Loving my Minila. Thanks to this site; I'm super curious about Topre and want a HHKB pro 2 something fierce....
Realforce 87U Silent (work) | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco Minila browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 11:15:20 »
Not a bad board, not sure about that space bar though, :P.

Looks like a nice board none the less though! :D
你搞砸了

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 04:59:53 »
Very nice little board. I like the layout a lot. Specifically the arrow keys and Delete position.

If I were still into standard layout boards, this would be at the top of my list. Minimalism rocks!
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.