Author Topic: Nintendo 2DS or 3DS XL?  (Read 13094 times)

Offline SOROBORU88

Nintendo 2DS or 3DS XL?
« on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 02:48:27 »
Hello everyone. The hour of Pokémon X and Y is upon us. Frankly, I have never played pokémon (duh, eastern Europe...). But I would like to change that fact. Problem is, I don't know what console for pokémon (and later Zelda, Fire Emblem, Mario 3D, Animal Crossing and Mario Kart) I should buy.

I've already owned a Nintendo DSi and played Mario Kart and Animal Crosing all day long, but I had to sell it, because I needed money for college. I even had an xbox 360, which I sold few weeks earlier for a good price and now I only play Terraria on my pc ( LOL, right?), since there isn't enough time for serious gaming (I work at attorney's office). Therefore the nintendo consoles should do it :D

This would be my second nintendo console after five years. They say, that 2DS is made for kids, but I like the fact that I don't pay for 3D and it has an AC adapter. My fear comes from the uncomfortable handling concept of this console and presumable lack of bigger screens.

I don't want a 3DS, I'm afraid that the concole has a lot of glitches because of it's rushing start and 3D tech in 3DS is undeveloped.

Is gaming on DS XL so much better, that I should consider buying it instead of 2DS?

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Re: Nintendo 2DS or 3DS XL?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 03:12:51 »
3DS xl is worth the extra money imo.

It is a ton of fun to play games on, looks great.

also i get a kick out of laughing at this twitter page https://twitter.com/Nintendo__2DS
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline darkfire32

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 03:18:28 »
Since no one owns a 2ds yet, I can't really comment on how the 2DS feels. But I do have a 3DS XL and here are some of my thoughts on it.

Size: With the XL form, you can't really bring this around with you. I can put it into my jeans pocket but the top like 3mm are poking out and its not really comfortable sitting around in. That said, since the battery life is only around 3.5 hours, there's not much utility to bringing it out to most places. The only thing I can think of is you go to class and play it when you have an hour break between classes.

But compared to the regular 3ds, the screens are HUGE. Looking at the numbers might not be really nice but when you see it in person it is a heck of a difference. I don't exactly have good eyesight and the text is bigger on the xl screen. But everything is stretched out. All of the pixels are stretched out so the graphics take a huge hit. Also, nobody mentioned this to me, but the text pixels get stretched too. So in MH3U, the text have this weird interlacing look to it on the XL.

The 2DS is going to have the same screen size as the regular 3ds. Frankly, the bigger screen is really good and I would get the XL because I have poor vision already and eyestrain is a pain when you switch between small screens to small text on a book.

Gaming on the XL? Uhhhhh....its a bit of pain. I play MH3U primarily, which means holding and moving my fingers a lot. The fact that the XL is thin, relatively, and that the buttons are really close to the edge means that I have small hand cramps from holding it for so long. Plus the edges sort of dig into your palms. It happens with the regular 3ds too. 2ds, I don't know. I can't imagine that its going to be different. You hold onto the DS by a flat surface, this being the 2ds itself and the XL's bottom screen. Neither of those consoles are ergonomic compared to the 360 controller's curves, if you know what I mean. So frankly I think you're going to get hand pains either way.

So for 50 USD between the 2ds and the XL if you get the XL when its 180 on sale, I would definitely get the XL. You can always buy a grip for the console, in fact I do have a grip for the console. And hand cramps/pains are a lot easier to fix than sore eyes.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 03:19:44 »
You do realize the 2DS was built for insubordinate children with ADHD and privileged anger issues who tend to break things, right?

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 03:27:31 »
You do realize the 2DS was built for insubordinate children with ADHD and privileged anger issues who tend to break things, right?

And those who can't handle 3D (which is actually a large amount of the world). Thereby not meriting the price gap since theres a $60 difference from 2ds and 3ds, but 2ds is built a lot sturdier. OP just wants to play pokemon doubt he'll be porting it around much
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 03:36:02 »

And those who can't handle 3D (which is actually a large amount of the world). Thereby not meriting the price gap since theres a $60 difference from 2ds and 3ds, but 2ds is built a lot sturdier. OP just wants to play pokemon doubt he'll be porting it around much

The 2ds is the same size screen as the regular ds but it's $30 more. Plus you can fold it so it can fit into your pocket!

Offline darkfire32

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 03:48:57 »

The 2ds is the same size screen as the regular ds but it's $30 more. Plus you can fold it so it can fit into your pocket!
(Attachment Link)

The nintendo site has the MSRP of the 2ds $30 less than the regular 3ds.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 06:15:31 »
Thank you everyone. I do know, that gaming on 3DS XL should be a better experience. My question is, if it worth the money. Since I didn't game for 5 years and previeously had DSi, I don't really know what to buy. All I know is, that Idon't want to buy 3DS.

And buying 2DS seems like a big risk, since the concept isn't fully tested on the hardcore community.

I look forward to play Pokemon for the first time ever and other games would be definitely Animal Crossing (was great on DSi, dozens of hours played), definitely Zelda (same legend as pokemon for me) and maybe Fire Emblem for nice graphics. Pokemon, AC and Zelda would definitely be in my library. Therefore I think DS XL is better choice for me.

I would game at home by my desk, since my work doesn't allow it and I don't want to buy the TV console again. The lack of portability shouldn't be a huge obstacle. Battery time also. There will alwas be a friendly AC source :D

Do DS XL have any disadvatages I should know about?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 06:33:44 »
I'm fairly certain you can turn off the 3D feature, can't you? I'd rather have it available in case I want to use it and turn it off when I don't. Also, folding and bigger screens.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 06:45:04 »
Well, fonlding and portability don't appeal to me.

I've read something about 2DS, some early reviews etc and it looks like it's something like iPhone 5C. The "another" something just to show nintendo can be innovative. But it's cheap and frankly, this is the only thing that appeal to me. But early hands ons say, that it is hard to hold the 2DS for an adult and it is specifically targeted on children with small hands.

Too bad that pokemon (rated for 7 year olds) is mostly enjoyed by the guys in late twenties adn early thirties :D

Is it possible to charge 3DS XL from the USB? Either from PC, or from USB charger? Did anyone try it?

Offline tanilolli

• ಠ_ಠ
    • The Tech Zone Live
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 08:37:17 »
I think you should wait until Black Friday and see if there will be any deals for the 3DS XL; at least that's what I'm doing. I'm really excited to play the new version of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
Leopold FC200RT/AB Cherry MX Browns

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 08:38:42 »
My wife and I both got new 3DSes yesterday on ebay, combined total less than $300. We didn't feel it was worth an extra $50 each to buy a screen that is < 1/2 inch bigger. I mean, $50 is a game.
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 09:16:51 »
My wife and I both got new 3DSes yesterday on ebay, combined total less than $300. We didn't feel it was worth an extra $50 each to buy a screen that is < 1/2 inch bigger. I mean, $50 is a game.

So you tell me the regular 3DS should do just fine? Well, I kind of retreated from idea of buying the 2DS since it is not designed for adults with big hands. And the 3DS XL looks like a big bang.

I thought that the 3DS had some issues, but I didn't check it through so I really don't know...

For now it would just be a nintendo console and pokemon X. I have some old xbox games I can sell to get a little discount on the 3DS XL, but I will have to buy a charger :D

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 09:37:08 »

So you tell me the regular 3DS should do just fine? Well, I kind of retreated from idea of buying the 2DS since it is not designed for adults with big hands. And the 3DS XL looks like a big bang.

I thought that the 3DS had some issues, but I didn't check it through so I really don't know...

For now it would just be a nintendo console and pokemon X. I have some old xbox games I can sell to get a little discount on the 3DS XL, but I will have to buy a charger :D

All I'm saying is that I didn't feel like a slightly bigger screen was worth an 133% of the 3DS' price. If you're loaded, go for the XL. If not, the 3DS is almost the same thing, but cheaper.
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 09:48:40 »

All I'm saying is that I didn't feel like a slightly bigger screen was worth an 133% of the 3DS' price. If you're loaded, go for the XL. If not, the 3DS is almost the same thing, but cheaper.

When I was buying my 3DS, I was actually more interested in the color than the size. My friend had the 3DS XL and while the screen was larger, they decided to just stretch the pixels instead of have it have a higher resolution, which made the quality pretty meh. I'd get a regular 3DS over a XL any day, UNLESS it's the limited edition pikachu 3DS XL.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 10:18:35 »
Thank you for your honest opinion. I could get a discount on 3DS XL and it would be for a nice price. If it was not, I wouldn't even think about it and buy 3DS. I like the idea of 3DS XL because the price is dropping and the discount should be fine.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 10:22:24 »

When I was buying my 3DS, I was actually more interested in the color than the size. My friend had the 3DS XL and while the screen was larger, they decided to just stretch the pixels instead of have it have a higher resolution, which made the quality pretty meh. I'd get a regular 3DS over a XL any day, UNLESS it's the limited edition pikachu 3DS XL.

Well, one of you told me about streched pixels and weird interlaced onscreen text and there is fact, that 90% of bundled games comes only with 3DS, only Mario comes with 3DS XL.

I believe that the 3D effect on 3DS can be turned off permanently, right? I don't even want to try it.

Does yours 3DS perform good, guys?

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 10:41:05 »
Yeah, the 3D effect on the 3DS is on a slider. Just turn it of. I'll probably do that. I'm in the same situation (need to get 3DS to play pokemon). I personally will be going for the normal 3DS, but this special edition of it:

Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 10:51:29 »
Even I'll likely be getting a 2DS; I couldn't fold my Gameboy Color either, but that never took away from my enjoyment of the game I was playing (which was, of course, Pokemon Red).

For someone like me, who gives the majority of his paycheck to his college, that extra $40 in my pocket is perfect.  I really couldn't care less if it doesn't fold.

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 11:12:12 »
Even I'll likely be getting a 2DS; I couldn't fold my Gameboy Color either, but that never took away from my enjoyment of the game I was playing (which was, of course, Pokemon Red).

For someone like me, who gives the majority of his paycheck to his college, that extra $40 in my pocket is perfect.  I really couldn't care less if it doesn't fold.

You can get a 3DS on ebay new for almost as cheap as a 2DS. Just do some searching.
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 11:21:52 »
Sooo, is regular 3DS okay? :D

Because it is all I get from your answers, guys :D

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 11:23:10 »
Yeah, the 3D effect on the 3DS is on a slider. Just turn it of. I'll probably do that. I'm in the same situation (need to get 3DS to play pokemon). I personally will be going for the normal 3DS, but this special edition of it:
Show Image

Offline darkfire32

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 16:52:28 »
I believe that the Fire Emblem special edition and costs a lot since you can only get it from ebay or friends. My knowledge about the regular 3ds is that the form is more boxy than the XL, so the bottom corners will cut into your palms more than the XL. Also, the top half has a glossy finish to it so there's more glare. Also, if the 2ds form factor is a problem because its too small, how is the 3DS going to help?

Also, it is possible to charge the 3ds/XL through USB, but you need to get a cable for that from anywhere. I got mine from ebay for $1.50 so it really isn't much of a problem.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 17:22:50 »
I believe that the Fire Emblem special edition and costs a lot since you can only get it from ebay or friends. My knowledge about the regular 3ds is that the form is more boxy than the XL, so the bottom corners will cut into your palms more than the XL. Also, the top half has a glossy finish to it so there's more glare. Also, if the 2ds form factor is a problem because its too small, how is the 3DS going to help?

Also, it is possible to charge the 3ds/XL through USB, but you need to get a cable for that from anywhere. I got mine from ebay for $1.50 so it really isn't much of a problem.

Interesting point. I thought that the shape of 2DS is desgined specifically for small hands, therefore there should be some pain when larger hands try to use it. I thought that the angle of palms and fingers would totally be diferent from children's hands IMHO.

If it was for me, the 2DS is perfect, it contains charger in package, it doesn't have 3D and it's dirt cheap and also BRAND NEW! In my country I risk that I'm buying three year old stale 3DS, or even slightly used, but sold as new.

It pretty sucks here in my country :(

Offline darkfire32

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 17:43:43 »

Interesting point. I thought that the shape of 2DS is desgined specifically for small hands, therefore there should be some pain when larger hands try to use it. I thought that the angle of palms and fingers would totally be diferent from children's hands IMHO.

If it was for me, the 2DS is perfect, it contains charger in package, it doesn't have 3D and it's dirt cheap and also BRAND NEW! In my country I risk that I'm buying three year old stale 3DS, or even slightly used, but sold as new.

I didn't know about that. Then if you are really intent on getting new then I suppose 2DS is the way to go. You could also try to get some of the new special editions because those haven't been mass produced and stuck in storage. I know that there are new Pokemon 3DS XL special editions hitting the shelves soon.

From the photos, I don't see much distinctions between the button placements on the 2DS and 3DS. In fact, I think there's a greater distance between the L/R buttons from the primary ones. That would be more beneficial for larger hands, I believe, since your hands would stretch out more compared to normal. I think there button placements are the same distance from the edge of the console across all three consoles.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 01:31:34 »

I didn't know about that. Then if you are really intent on getting new then I suppose 2DS is the way to go. You could also try to get some of the new special editions because those haven't been mass produced and stuck in storage. I know that there are new Pokemon 3DS XL special editions hitting the shelves soon.

From the photos, I don't see much distinctions between the button placements on the 2DS and 3DS. In fact, I think there's a greater distance between the L/R buttons from the primary ones. That would be more beneficial for larger hands, I believe, since your hands would stretch out more compared to normal. I think there button placements are the same distance from the edge of the console across all three consoles.

The pokemon x and y edition of 3DS XL really exists here. Problem is, it is expensive as hell. When the 2DS is out, I will visit my local store and try it personally. If it is good and comfy, I will buy it.

3D and flip design don't appeal to me. Also, the 2DS sort of looks like a gameboy advance of the first generation which I never had and always wanted one :D

Offline darkfire32

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 01:34:15 »
Man the first generation GBA was the best. Got me through puberty while my friends went and got their SPs.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 02:05:30 »
Man the first generation GBA was the best. Got me through puberty while my friends went and got their SPs.

I know that feel. Here, only the richest kids had gameboys and I heard about pokemon very lately.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 06:17:52 »

(Attachment Link)

What the hell kinda trousers are you wearing that let you have a launch 3DS in your pocket... I wear jeans that fit, ie not tight but not massive skater style either and I've not got a single pair that my launch 3DS will fit in

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 06:24:24 »

When I had my DSi, it had it's place in my right jeans pocket along with my nokia :D European jeans let you have a nintendo in your pocket :D But with 2DS... If it ever leaves the house, it will be carried in my briefcase :D

(Attachment Link)

What the hell kinda trousers are you wearing that let you have a launch 3DS in your pocket... I wear jeans that fit, ie not tight but not massive skater style either and I've not got a single pair that my launch 3DS will fit in

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 03:26:57 »

(Attachment Link)

i wear Levi's 560 and the normal 3DS fits in my back pocket.
My XL fits as well, but sticks out of the pocket.

OP, i bought a launch 3DS, then i sold it and bought the Zelda 3DS system back during black friday 2011.
For me personally the positions of the button and the size of the system to cause my hands to cramp after playing it for like an hour and a half.
I dunno if its because i have slightly large hands.
I jumped on the 1st chance to trade in my normal 3DS system for the 3DS XL last year.

The XL's button placement, and overall size just felt "right" to my hands.  Its a wider system, more of a natural feel similar to how my PS Vita just "fits" in my hand if that makes sense.

For me, i'd say get the 3DS XL if you got large hands. 
Haven't had a hands on with the 2DS, but from the images i've seen if you're gonna save a little $$, i'd get that over the 3DS regular.

Oh and i personally never play with 3D mode on, the extent of my 3D mode gameplay is buy the game, start it the 1st time, turn the 3D slider on, look at the screen for 5 mins, shut off the 3D lol.
It wrecks havoc to me if im wearing my glasses, 3D on that just never looks right.  and if im wearing contacts, it'll strain my eyes a bit if i stare at the screen.
I personally avg about 5 hours or so on my 3DS XL when playing 3DS Games with brightness at 2 and 3D off.

Oh and pokemon represent!

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 05:33:17 »
Hey, thanks for such complex answer :) From the image it looks like the 2DS is almost as wide as 3DS XL. And I don't even want the 3D in my console, since I consider it a total failure :D

There are some reviewers who say, it is comfortable to play with 2DS and also those who say, that it brings cramps and it is hard to hold.

2DS comes out on the next Saturday and I will definitely try it in the store first. I wouldn't buy it not knowing how it feels in the hands.

IMHO, the shoulder buttons looks nice. The DSi had those little sharp cornesr which were pretty annoying, especially in Mario Kart, where you used them for drifting :D

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 19:28:57 »
3DS XL please. Lol. You can at least fold that and put it in your pocket.
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline fydo

• Meow!
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 20:57:57 »
After owning a 3DS XL for almost a year, I'd recommend the regular 3DS. Nintendo didn't increase the pixel density when they increased the screen size, so the graphics don't look as nice/sharp compared to a regular 3DS. It's even worse when playing legacy DS games because they are upscaled to the 3DS resolution as well.
CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid | Ducky Shine II (White LED)

Offline darkfire32

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 01:21:59 »
Ok so I got this point from some comment on the internet and it seems pretty legit. I doodled on MS Paint to illustrate the length of travel from the button cluster to the touch screen by your thumb since you might not want to take out the stupid stylus all the time.

On the 3ds/XL, your thumb is right beside the touch screen. But on the 2DS, its really far away causing THUMB DEATH when you stretch back and forth over and over and over again and again and again...38038-038040-1

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 01:51:32 »
I do get it. When I played Mario Kart, I used to touch the TS with my thumb to toggle the map view. But since I don't want to play action games or any games dependet on the reaction speed, the difference in thumb travel doesn't look like a big deal. Great point though ;)

When playing Animal Crossign, I used stylus all the time so I didn't even hold the nintendo in both hands. And I spent at least 100 hours playing that :D

I will try it at the store and tell how it feels.

I would buy a regular 3DS, but I'm afraid I would get and old and stale one :( And the XL version maybe bigger, but the stretched pixels and interlacing in text seems to reppel me :D

BUT, HAVE YOU HEARD THE RUMOR, THAT POKEMON X AND Y WILL NOT SUPPORT THE 3D FEATURE? Since new pokemon is the main reason I'm buying the nintendo console, the lack of 3D (which I wouldn't use anyway, LOL) plays in 2DS cards :D

Offline darkfire32

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 03:37:04 »
I do get it. When I played Mario Kart, I used to touch the TS with my thumb to toggle the map view. But since I don't want to play action games or any games dependet on the reaction speed, the difference in thumb travel doesn't look like a big deal. Great point though ;)

When playing Animal Crossign, I used stylus all the time so I didn't even hold the nintendo in both hands. And I spent at least 100 hours playing that :D

I will try it at the store and tell how it feels.

I would buy a regular 3DS, but I'm afraid I would get and old and stale one :( And the XL version maybe bigger, but the stretched pixels and interlacing in text seems to reppel me :D

BUT, HAVE YOU HEARD THE RUMOR, THAT POKEMON X AND Y WILL NOT SUPPORT THE 3D FEATURE? Since new pokemon is the main reason I'm buying the nintendo console, the lack of 3D (which I wouldn't use anyway, LOL) plays in 2DS cards :D

http://www.gamesradar.com/pokemon-x-and-y-review/
" If anything, it feels as though the vast environments and detailed Pokémon are simply too much for the handheld. There are occasional framerate drops, and much of the game disables the 3D slider, which is a shame considering how many areas look as though they were designed specifically to take advantage of the added depth stereoscopic 3D delivers."

You're right. The 3D effect is disabled for most of the game. There are still some sections that have 3D, I'm guessing its mostly for cutscenes and such. I don't really mind that much because looking at flashy SFX on 3D sounds like a sure way to make my eyes bleed.

It is also a point that now Nintendo knows that part of their market won't have 3D effects that they might try to tone down some 3D effects down the line. That being said, there are some games that you won't really complete with the 2DS. Super Mario 3D Land, for example, has 3D puzzles as well as some games on the e-market. If you are only using the console for pokemon then you should go for the cheaper option. But if you get the 2/3DS console, there are a lot of good games for it that you should also consider.