Author Topic: Recommendation: PBT White  (Read 3522 times)

Offline Linkbane

Recommendation: PBT White
« on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 23:40:11 »
Hey! I was thinking of buying my first set of keycaps, and I'd really like to get an 87-set of white PBT caps. I was thinking of getting them blank, which I like the aesthetic of, from SP, but am not sure if I should because they state that it is quite thin.

I'm also considering the Vortex keycaps, but I'm not sure if I'd want a printed keycap, although the fact that it's cheap, thick, and double-shot are very appealing. However, it will take a few weeks and I'm rather impatient.

So, do you all have any suggestions for a PBT (preferably thick) white keycap set that is blank and not over $40? I'm liking the look of the 37-set from KeyboardWOW, but it's engraved and I'd prefer nothing at all and I'm not sure if it's thick or thin. So, any help from the experienced?
Thanks all.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Sniping

Re: Recommendation: PBT White
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 23:44:59 »
You won't get PBT thicks for $40 most likely, $40 for the regular kind maybe, that's what I sold my set for, you should look around for used sets.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 23:49:38 »
I personally have the Vortex Dyesub Thick PBTs and really like them. I bought them for $40 and don't regret it one bit. The massdrop that was happening a while ago would have been a great place to get them as they were thick PBT and DS. I'm really unsure where you could get blank thick PBT though :/
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 00:00:50 »
I personally have the Vortex Dyesub Thick PBTs and really like them. I bought them for $40 and don't regret it one bit. The massdrop that was happening a while ago would have been a great place to get them as they were thick PBT and DS. I'm really unsure where you could get blank thick PBT though :/
Parents forgetting made me miss the massdrop which fell on my birthday, I was rather annoyed. Maybe I'll just end up getting thin PBT, because on banggood they're less than $20 and I think about $33 or so on SP, just that they're thin and not thick. Oh well.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 00:03:04 »
Parents forgetting made me miss the massdrop which fell on my birthday, I was rather annoyed. Maybe I'll just end up getting thin PBT, because on banggood they're less than $20 and I think about $33 or so on SP, just that they're thin and not thick. Oh well.
I actually believe the PBTs from banggood are between thin and thick. Somewhere in the mushy middle.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 00:49:52 »
Right, I saw that. I meant that the SP caps were thin, I saw in the little thread that the banggood caps aren't bad, so I'm just going to go ahead and get those.

Offline heissler

• I engineer invisible stuff
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 01:50:46 »
IMSTO thick blank PBT?

Nice thick PBT.
Attention: In reality they are not as shiny bright white as shown in his shop. For reference, them sitting on my Ducky
Has trouble not spending money on keyboards

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 09:41:38 »
IMSTO thick blank PBT?

Nice thick PBT.
Attention: In reality they are not as shiny bright white as shown in his shop. For reference, them sitting on my Ducky

Whoa, those look really nice. Any idea how much they would charge and how I would get them to ship to the US?

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 09:50:13 »
The imsto set is a very good choice. You could contact imsto directly (he has a vendor forum on gh). It will probably be more than 40$, but worth every dollar.

Else, Feng is having a group buy for the same vortex ds pbt keys that were sold on massdrop, but with other colors for the font. They are not blank and they are not the same profile compared to imsto's keys.

Imsto's keys are cherry profile (lower profile) and the vortex ds are oem profile (stock profile of most modern keyboards) which is higher. Both are good, I prefer cherry profile, but you need to try it to know it. Both sets will be good anyway.

Also, the vortex dye-sub set (I have one too) are cherry profile, but not the ds set.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 09:58:28 »
The imsto set is a very good choice. You could contact imsto directly (he has a vendor forum on gh). It will probably be more than 40$, but worth every dollar.

Else, Feng is having a group buy for the same vortex ds pbt keys that were sold on massdrop, but with other colors for the font. They are not blank and they are not the same profile compared to imsto's keys.

Imsto's keys are cherry profile (lower profile) and the vortex ds are oem profile (stock profile of most modern keyboards) which is higher. Both are good, I prefer cherry profile, but you need to try it to know it. Both sets will be good anyway.

Also, the vortex dye-sub set (I have one too) are cherry profile, but not the ds set.

I see. It's not too important, but OEM looks nice. I wouldn't change the key caps for that, so I'll just go ahead and contact imsto then. Thanks!

Offline heissler

• I engineer invisible stuff
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 10:38:54 »
IMSTO thick blank PBT?

Nice thick PBT.

Whoa, those look really nice. Any idea how much they would charge and how I would get them to ship to the US?

I paid the following for my caps:

Caps  $56,00
Packaging and shipping   $10,00 (Shipping to Germany)
paypal (3,4%)   $2,24
Total $68,24 USD

Definitely worth it, the packaging was excellent and the caps are super awesome. Plus IMSTO is a very nice guy, even after having some minor problems with delayed shipping on his side, I would still vouch for him.
Has trouble not spending money on keyboards

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 12:40:36 »
IMSTO thick blank PBT?

Nice thick PBT.

I paid the following for my caps:

Caps  $56,00
Packaging and shipping   $10,00 (Shipping to Germany)
paypal (3,4%)   $2,24
Total $68,24 USD

Definitely worth it, the packaging was excellent and the caps are super awesome. Plus IMSTO is a very nice guy, even after having some minor problems with delayed shipping on his side, I would still vouch for him.

Rather expensive, but I think that I can live with it. Hopefully IMSTO will be open for trade!

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 15:37:44 »
I'm also looking for some White thick PBT caps to fill the remainder 4 extra media keys on my YOTS KB after I swap out the default caps with the Vortex GB that's happening right now. Seems like the only option would be to purchase a full set from banggood. I'm just afraid that the whites will be diff when comapred to Vortex'.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 16:13:20 »
Talked to imsto, who said that he was out at the moment, so I just went ahead and got the 84-set from banggood. I wish that they had the 87 available, though.