Author Topic: buckling spring as typewriter replacement  (Read 4392 times)

Offline tbc

buckling spring as typewriter replacement
« on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 20:27:09 »
I have an aunt that used to use a typewriter and LOVED the feel and sound of it.  Not much of a computer user, but she could instantly tell the difference between a cheap dell and an mx black.

I was thinking of giving her my cherry mx green when i got my mx blues in, but now I'm thinking a unicomp might be a better choice?

I'm not bothering with ebay hunting model Ms cause I don't want to clean it first and the unicomp pricing is totally within limits for me.

thoughts?  mx green vs BS
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: buckling spring as typewriter replacement
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 20:32:12 »
She will love the Unicomp, and it comes with native USB.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 20:33:53 »
I have an aunt that used to use a typewriter and LOVED the feel and sound of it.  Not much of a computer user, but she could instantly tell the difference between a cheap dell and an mx black.

I was thinking of giving her my cherry mx green when i got my mx blues in, but now I'm thinking a unicomp might be a better choice?

I'm not bothering with ebay hunting model Ms cause I don't want to clean it first and the unicomp pricing is totally within limits for me.

thoughts?  mx green vs BS

Personally, I don't particularly like MX Greens, and being used to a typewriter she'll almost certainly prefer the BS.
Also less awkwardness when you give her a 'gaming' keyboard with branding on it. :thumb:
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline tbc

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 20:35:05 »
it's a CM storm stealth, so it's actually pretty low key besides the keycaps lol

EDIT:

is there a recommended model? i still think 104 key is best, but is ultra classic better or is spacesaver?  why does the latter have a $15 premium?  and yes, usb is mandatory.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 October 2013, 20:37:21 by tbc »

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 21:17:43 »
Topre also feels like a typewriter. :D
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 21:29:28 »

Never used a typewriter, eh? :p

Offline Tony

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 21:39:24 »
Unicomp keyboard = Typewriter of the Internet Age.

Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 21:44:52 »
it's a CM storm stealth, so it's actually pretty low key besides the keycaps lol

EDIT:

is there a recommended model? i still think 104 key is best, but is ultra classic better or is spacesaver?  why does the latter have a $15 premium?  and yes, usb is mandatory.

Ultra Classic 101 is what I use.  Their new 103 doesn't look half bad either.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 21:48:30 »
Unicomp or original Model M has a nice solid clicky feel to it.

Also with either of these you get the size and weight of a full keyboard, which would add to the overall impression.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 22:01:00 »

In fact, I'm typing on one right now. It's fine, but considering that she might (like I) have poor vision and want a typewriter-like feel, I and most recommend the Unicomp. They look pretty nice in a professional way, also.

:thumb:
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline tbc

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 22:38:45 »
thanks for the help everybody.

looks like I'm going to pick up the white ultra classic (that black is very awkward looking); it has simpler legends, it has a windows keyset (didn't realize SS M was for 'mac'*), and it's cheaper as well

*are they seriously charging extra for the mac keyset?  i can't tell the difference between the two models otherwise.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 23:26:47 »
The closest you'll get to the typewriter feel is a Model F, but obviously that's not feasible.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline PrisonSex

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 02:42:49 »
I think I've seen modded typewriters somewhere that functioned as a keyboard. That would be a cool gift.

Offline mr_schnrub

• Click Click Doin the Click
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 03:50:53 »
4 x IBM 1391401 | IBM 1390120 | IBM SSK 1397681 | Unicomp UB4041A

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 08:23:02 »

Have you never used a topre before? The weighted feel of the keys feel very similar to a type witer just not as loud. :)
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 08:26:35 »

Have you never used a topre before? The weighted feel of the keys feel very similar to a type witer just not as loud. :)

What the...
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 08:46:14 »

But to answer the OP, yes a buckling spring board is byfar the most typewriter-like...
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 October 2013, 08:49:14 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 08:54:18 »
I think I've seen modded typewriters somewhere that functioned as a keyboard. That would be a cool gift.

They also used to to turn IBM Selectrics into terminal printers.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 08:54:24 »
The only typewriter I have used that felt like a Topre was the later ones that were picking up basic word processors. At that point, you weren't working any real mechanism, since everything was electric and they were going cheap on the keyboard.

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 15:48:53 »
I guess I'm the only one here who thinks the actuation point being very heavy then progressivly becoming lighter on the realforce is similar to that of a type writer.  Just a quick note, I was not trying to say that buckling spring did not also feel like a typewriter perhaps more so.  I was just providing my opinion and another option.  No need to be rude.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 October 2013, 16:15:43 by Danule »
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 16:03:08 »
By the way, is OP referring to a mechanical typewriter (with levers and springs etc.), a golf ball typewriter, or an electric typewriter?

They all have different feel and sound.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ