Author Topic: What to do with very tight caps  (Read 6968 times)

Offline gigibecali

What to do with very tight caps
« on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 03:06:50 »
I've got a POM keycaps set from banggood.
Nice price, BUT... they are extremely tight fit on the usual switches.

How to handle such a case?
Lube? Garbage bin?

Thanks.
IBM M - UK  |  QFR reds  |  QFR blacks  |  HPE 87 browns  |  HPE 87 blues

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: What to do with very tight caps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 04:09:46 »

they are extremely tight fit

Put your stem in them ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 05:30:00 »
Just send them to me.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 05:32:33 »
I've got some of those apparently on their way to me.

I plan to test with a single loose switch and see how hard it really is to get it off. If it's a PITA, I'll probably try using a jewellers file on one axis of the cross in the mount and see if that makes them loose enough. Lot of work for a full set, though.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 05:44:19 »
Actually there are a few comments in this thread about lubing tight keycaps.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 06:10:27 »
Throw them away

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Reomero

• Manual breather
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 07:47:17 »
Throw them away to me.

Offline elttaboi

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 19:38:11 »
Put them on, but never take them off. You might break a stem or pull out a switch. It's happened to me. tt

Offline gigibecali

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 05:13:15 »
All right. Thank you all.

Garbage bin it is then.
Too bad they are quite well built... except, you know... I cannot use them :)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 05:16:06 »
This thread arouses me.

Offline gigibecali

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 05:23:32 »
Yes... yes... Freudian slips all over :)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 08:30:26 »
Wow, you're going to trash them? Go buy a file you can stick in them or something.

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 12:06:03 »

There is nothing wrong with the Keycool POM set. Seeing as how you are aware that the fitment will be tight, you just have to act accordingly. That Keycool POM set is on a board with MX Clears. If you have encountered how MX Clear stems are, they can be a total pain in the ass especially with brand new key caps. If you think the POM set will be tough to get on and take off, try putting them on an MX Clear stem. I knew full well what I was about to get myself into. I used a cotton swab to put a touch of Superlube (the thing that came to my view on my desk as I was lubing some switches at the time and thought it wouldn't hurt to try) on the inside of the keycap. Just enough of a light coat that when it came into contact with the switch stem, there would be no excess seeping out. I then took a pair of pliers which held a Clear stem out of its housing and inserted and removed the keycap about 2-3 times. It was a complete pain, but it worked. It still requires some effort, but as long as you don't mindlessly pull with your keycap puller, the keycaps come off nicely.

It was the first time I've tried POM keycaps and I couldn't be happier. I doubt I'll be swapping keycaps on the 660M any time soon. You've already been informed to be cautious, it's what you do with that information to allow you to carry on. Don't let people's mishaps such as the tight fitment on DSA keycaps or the ones that blindly placed the Keycool keycap sets on their keyboards and later on finding out they removed the stem from the housing once they pulled the cap off to go in vain.

Offline gigibecali

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 16:29:04 »
Umm... I'm going to give them one more chance. No high hopes though. Pliers!? :)

It's odd that you managed to fit them on clears. Mine do not even catch on blues (fall off immediately after a medium push).
All other sets I have (pbt and abs, none SP) are visibly larger and smooth/easy to fit.
I did some very light carving but it was useless.

Yes, if everything goes bad, then I'm going to thrash them, maybe keep some modifiers to pet when feeling alone. It's my first POM set...

Thank you all.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 18:20:38 »
NO NO NO don't thrown them out!

Send them to someone else!

Do a giveaway and raise your GH karma!!!

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 23:18:57 »

Put your stem in them ;)
Just got me all hot n bothered moose.

Offline DamnDan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • The Insane One
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 03:46:02 »
Hello gigibecali,

If you'll ever come to a point of throwing them out i will be interested in them. Recently i acquired Optimus board and it turns out i got Aristotle switches instead of white MX (behaviour of them is identical actually, but there are many differences of how they are built). Point is that Aristotle caps are too tight for the MX, and MX caps do not fit well, constantly falling off (Aristotle has thinner stem +).

So, if you ever want to throw them out remember bout me ;) They will find a good home on a board that is a copy of MX ;)

Sorry for a "begging" post but it is hard to read about some keycaps going in the thrash :P

Much love <3,

DoubleD

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 09:13:38 »

Put your stem in them ;)

Pop your Cherry.... carefully....

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 11:52:56 »
Someone needs to make (and sell) stainless steel MX stem widening tools...

39805-0

>> 30 sec in Paint (TM) <<

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 11:56:09 »

(Attachment Link)

This could also be used with aluminum space bars with tricky stems

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 12:42:44 »

(Attachment Link)

You'd think it would need some sort of blade or rasp to work effectively.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 17:06:48 »
Well, putting tight caps on clear stems a couple of times seems to widen em, the tool should be able to do the same...

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 18:09:52 »
Well, putting tight caps on clear stems a couple of times seems to widen em, the tool should be able to do the same...

I'm still not convinced Clears are bigger, especially since I took calipers to the stems of Clears, Blacks, Vintage Blacks, and Browns and they all fell within the same standard margin.  But that's another discussion.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 01:26:57 »

(Attachment Link)

That's a good idea - have you patented it?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 06:51:05 »

(Attachment Link)

inb4 someone makes one of these for real ;)

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 13:00:05 »

(Attachment Link)

Nope! Feel free to produce/sell these...
And in case you get rich, buy me clacks :3

Offline Klapaucius

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 22:35:52 »
A day late and a dollar short, but here's something you could try with a stuck keycap - wedge a guitar pick between the keycap and the flat portion of the cherry stem, underneath the cross segment and flush with the top of the switch, then twist. I managed to get what I thought was a permanently stuck keycap to fly across the room. Of course, I only managed to figure this out after I had yanked the stem in question clear out of the switch. You can probably pull this off in situ if you remove enough of the surrounding keycaps to give yourself space to wield the guitar pick.

Also, I'd just like to say that banggood POM keycaps can die in a fire.