Author Topic: Hello to all. noob looking for advice if you have the time... :)  (Read 1719 times)

Offline theUnholy

Hello to all. noob looking for advice if you have the time... :)
« on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 23:26:31 »
 Hi everybody!  ;)

I need some help finding the right keyboard/ switches. Hopefully someone here will be familiar/remember some old pieces of technology I'll reference.

I used to game and BBS quite a bit in the early 90's. I had a Honeywell 101 key mechanical. I would love to find something nearly/exactly the same.

If you don't know that keyboard here are some details:

Full 101 key + numeric keypad (old standard design... still standard?)
HEAVY resistance to press the keys (I have strong fingers and find it taxing to constantly hold back while typing/gaming)
Audible click but only at nearly full depression/stroke of key
Keystroke does not register until the click (no half/semi strokes)
VERY fast return
Non-compact design/layout - Thick, strong fingers  ;D ,that tend to graze other keys at times (another reason for the HEAVY resistance)

I've been trying to research this on my own but have hit a wall regarding cherry mx switches etc... Also I'm not looking to buy components separately.

Is there anything modern(PS/2 or USB) keyboard like this right out of the box for less than/about 200$ Canadian? (plus shipping of course)

Thanks for any advice or tips in advance

theUnholy (old BBS handle, hope it doesn't offend anyone. If it does, I'm sorry)

Offline Parak

Re: Hello to all. noob looking for advice if you have the time... :)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 23:43:29 »
Are you sure it was a honeywell? All modern honeywell 101 key keyboards that I know of are rubber domes. If you're looking for something with heavyish and clicky actuation towards the bottom of the keystroke, you want a buckling spring board.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 23:48:42 »
Sounds like you want a buckling spring.  Like either a Model M off eBay or a new one from Unicomp.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 23:52:51 »
I think the closest Cherry MX switch you would find to that description would be the MX Clear with an o-ring mod to reduce the key travel.  You are not going to get nearly as much of the audible click, but I think you will get close to the typing feel you want.

I like a similar feel I think, but I like a lighter key weight.  I have browns with an o-ring mod and I really like how the tactile bump is near the bottom of the keystroke.

I am sure someone on here knows exactly the keyboard you are talking about and can point you to a better matching switch than I can, but that is my two cents...

Good luck with your search.

Offline theUnholy

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 00:50:26 »
Are you sure it was a honeywell? All modern honeywell 101 key keyboards that I know of are rubber domes. If you're looking for something with heavyish and clicky actuation towards the bottom of the keystroke, you want a buckling spring board.
I don't know how modern anyone would consider a keyboard from 1995 but I'm sure it was a Honeywell and it was mechanical. Buckling spring board eh? I'll look into that, thanks!
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 October 2013, 00:52:12 by theUnholy »

Offline theUnholy

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 01:00:03 »
I think the closest Cherry MX switch you would find to that description would be the MX Clear with an o-ring mod to reduce the key travel.  You are not going to get nearly as much of the audible click, but I think you will get close to the typing feel you want.

I like a similar feel I think, but I like a lighter key weight.  I have browns with an o-ring mod and I really like how the tactile bump is near the bottom of the keystroke.

I am sure someone on here knows exactly the keyboard you are talking about and can point you to a better matching switch than I can, but that is my two cents...

Good luck with your search.

Thanks swill. I appreciate the two cents, especially since we discontinued the penny! Umm... when can I be expecting those BTW? :))

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 01:22:45 »
Yeah, buckling spring would be your best bet as the Model M is made pretty tough for key-slammers galore.
If you're wanting to go down the MX path, MX Green or White (white is louder, with the same pressure as green), you'll do well there also.
Not sure where you can get MX White, but you can get a full-size board in the Quickfire XT with Greens.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline theUnholy

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 23:50:15 »
I guess the only question now is, how bad (if at all) is the ghosting on a model m? And if there is ghosting, any driver related ways to deal with it?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 00:18:08 »
I used a model M for years back in the day.  I never experienced ghosting that I can remember.  If it runs into a rollover problem I think it just didn't transmit the keys.