Author Topic: Noisy/Clacking/Clicking/Annoying versus Silent/Stealthy/Ninja like keyboards  (Read 2799 times)

Offline bigpook

As soon as I figure out how to add a poll I will.

The question is simple. What do you prefer when it comes to noise and your keyboard.
Are you someone that likes it loud like a BS key or not so loud like a blue cherry. Or, must it be non-clicky and quiet.

Does it matter to you either way?
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline lam47

Noisy/Clacking/Clicking/Annoying versus Silent/Stealthy/Ninja like keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 December 2008, 19:38:59 »
I like the sound of noisy boards but at night when I type the most I have to use something quiet so as not to wake Eloisa.
I love the feel of the blue Cherries as well as the sound of them. Same goes for the Model M.

So basically I need a poll option for 'I like everything'
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 December 2008, 19:54:01 »
I like both, but I think the biggest aspect is feel.  A keyboard can be loud as Hell, but feel crappy, while a silent switch might feel awesome.  I would rather have a silent 'board with great feel so that can be the focus typing (as well as subject matter) instead of being distracted by sound.  A clicking switch is OK (say, blue Cherries) but switches that clack on bottoming and topping out (non-damped Alps) tend to be distracting and annoying at times, especially since, IMO, those sounds are not germaine to the typing experience (like the BS click is).

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 December 2008, 20:34:34 »
I like both - medium tactility and medium noise. For me the quest has been to define what I mean by "medium". But so far I've rejected boards that were too soft or too much in either category.

I guess it was easier for me to start with the old heavy switches and tune them down (since its much more difficult to tune switches UP in these things).

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 December 2008, 22:21:08 »
10-4.  I started with rubber domes (after using Model Ms for years; go figure), and looking for a (drastic) change, I switched to white Alps.  Now, I want something in between: great feel with less noise (Cherry browns).

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 24 December 2008, 01:57:20 »
Reasonable tactile feedback and great layout is what keeps me, primarily, on my HHKB Pro.  I love a variety of switches (Cherry browns and blues, Alps black and white, buckling springs) and each are enjoyable in their own way.  

At a minimum, I need good tactile feedback and no numpad for a keyboard to last any length of time on my desk.  Everything else being equal, I'd choose decent audible feedback as well.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 December 2008, 09:33:37 »
I found the Cherry MLs and brown MX to be quite noisy compared to rubber domes and scissor switches. I don't mind the noise so much now but I would prefer near silence. Occasionally I like the mechanical feel and sound of clicky white ALPS.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 00:33:36 »
I absolutely love noisy keyboards.  There's nothing like jamming out some text at 80wpm on a clacky, BS keyboard.  Whatever I'm writing feels that much more important and decisive.

That said, noise is not a critical factor in my keyboard selection process.  E.g., I retired my Endurapro for my HHKBPro2, mostly because of the layout, and the quality of Topre switch doesn't hurt either.

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline Qwertyuiop

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 25 December 2008, 01:19:48 »
Quote from: megarat;16107
I absolutely love noisy keyboards.  There's nothing like jamming out some text at 80wpm on a clacky, BS keyboard.

Me too, though I don't type that fast. :(

I think I need the noise as feedback as much as the feedback from the feel. While it was low on my list of dislikes about it, the Filco I had with the Cherry brown switches was too quiet to my liking.

I think the crispness of the actuation sound may be more important to me than how loud it actually is, as I found the sound of the IBM M4-1 satisfying as well, even though it's not really that loud to me.
several Model M\'s, Apple Adjustable Keyboard

Offline Korbin

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 December 2008, 09:42:41 »
The soft "thocking" noise of Topre switches in the best combination of low noise audible typing orchestration and feel. That is all.
Keyboards: Nyquist, Ergodox, Levinson