Author Topic: Anyone have a RAT 7?  (Read 6879 times)

Offline fuzzybaffy

Anyone have a RAT 7?
« on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 00:21:23 »
So I've tried a BUNCH of different mice; Taipan, Deathadder, Steel Series, Mionix Avior, etc.

I just haven't had a chance to try the RAT 7 yet, so I think I will go out and grab one tomorrow or the next few days. But before I do, how is it for lifting?

I understand the mouse has a wider-than-normal grip, and I was thinking that might make it a little more difficult for lifting. It also seems heavier than most mice, even without all of the weights; so how is the weight without the weights, and is it still easy to lift?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: Anyone have a RAT 7?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 03:41:04 »
If you don't need the thumb scroll, "sniper" button and extra adjustability, the RAT3 is really light and easy to lift. Fits my hand best of any mouse I've tried. It's a wide grip, but I have big hands so it suits me. If you remove the screw on the side you can adjust the palm rest just like on the 5 and 7.

40476-0
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 08:24:57 »
I haven't found the grip to be an issue during lifting, but the 7 is fairly heavy even without weights. Not heavy enough to matter for normal computer use, but heavy enough to tire out your arm/hand during long gaming sessions. So yeah, if you play a lot of FPS at low sens then don't get the 7(I think the 3 has a better sensor as well), but for general computer use and most types of gaming I would say the RAT7 is fine.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 21:49:14 »
Most comfortable mouse I have ever used.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Toad1677

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 15:18:42 »
I been using one for 3 years now and it's the best mouse I've ever use. It's the most comfortable mouse. I love the fact that it has interchangeable parts.
QFR MX Blue, Blackbird MX Blue, KBP V60 MX Green, KUL ES-87 MX Green, Pok3r Mx Clear

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 15:47:31 »
I own one I like it is well,  it is extremely cutomizable to any grip style.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 16:40:52 »
I'd love to get one.
But it's 1+ years old and it's still 80-100 dollars  >:D (price hasn't dropped).
Also heard some things about the twin eye laser it uses.

I like the aluminum plate on the bottom but I'm curious about the quality of the internal components.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 16:52:36 »
I'd love to get one.
But it's 1+ years old and it's still 80-100 dollars  >:D (price hasn't dropped).
Also heard some things about the twin eye laser it uses.

I like the aluminum plate on the bottom but I'm curious about the quality of the internal components.

Yeah the PTE sensor is one of the worst sensors, although it's still very much usable(I had no problems using my RAT7 for CS, other than fatigue due to the weight of the construction), but if you're serious about FPS then I wouldn't recommend it.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 20:12:27 »
If you don't need the thumb scroll, "sniper" button and extra adjustability, the RAT3 is really light and easy to lift. Fits my hand best of any mouse I've tried. It's a wide grip, but I have big hands so it suits me. If you remove the screw on the side you can adjust the palm rest just like on the 5 and 7.

I'm getting a RAT 3 as well.  Just eager to try another manufacturer that doesn't include Logitech, Microsoft or Razer.

Since it's the only optical model in their range I look forward to trying it out, plus it's cheap price is another positive factor here  :thumb: .

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 06:37:05 »
I was considering getting one, but I read an awful lot of bad reviews and very few good ones. In the end, I went for the somewhat similar looking Corsair M60 which I've found to be a great mouse.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 06:40:44 »
I was considering getting one, but I read an awful lot of bad reviews and very few good ones. In the end, I went for the somewhat similar looking Corsair M60 which I've found to be a great mouse.

Yeah that's true but I've also read some nasty stuff about the M60 as well.  Maybe it's the manufacturers doing the PR hit on each other's products to help sell their own rubbish.  It's the current rave thing they do know, much like what's happening in the world of politics  8) .  No facts provided just personal assaults leading to hideous claims about themselves and what their opponents have done.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 October 2013, 06:42:38 by Elrick »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 12:04:01 »
Most the nasty stuff I've seen has been on reputable forums about mice or computers from people who know their stuff.  And I've know way too many people who have talked about at least one R.A.T. 7 breaking on them in the first year.

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 12:19:31 »
The Corsair M60 has probems regarding its scroll (no brand at all) which breaks quite easily, a software which has tried to kill mine several times (yeah, like, the mouse dying just by changing DPI, forcing me to reupdate the firmware to make it work again... nice) and the side buttons aren't really high quality. Corsair fixed the software in 06/2012 and the Corsair M65 has a new and better scroll.

The RAT 7 has far more problems due to its sensor Philips Twin Eye (known to be very sensitive to dust and sometimes it just stops working out of nowhere), the Zhij switches on the main mouse buttons (seriously, I'd only expect this on a US$ 15 mouse) and nonstandard square-switches on the side buttons and Sniper Button.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 14:33:13 »
I love the square side buttons. Perfect height, very comfortable to use, has never failed me.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 07:37:40 »
The Corsair M60 has probems regarding its scroll (no brand at all) which breaks quite easily, a software which has tried to kill mine several times (yeah, like, the mouse dying just by changing DPI, forcing me to reupdate the firmware to make it work again... nice) and the side buttons aren't really high quality. Corsair fixed the software in 06/2012 and the Corsair M65 has a new and better scroll.

I read quite a lot about issues with the M60's software, but I almost never install mouse software anyway. Haven't had issues with the scroll wheel. At least not yet...

Offline Nojo

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 18:19:56 »
Most the nasty stuff I've seen has been on reputable forums about mice or computers from people who know their stuff.  And I've know way too many people who have talked about at least one R.A.T. 7 breaking on them in the first year.

The sensor on mine broke after a month and I couldn't send it in for warranty as I bought them during vacation  :(

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 20:33:03 »
Owned one, loved it, only changed it when the cable broke and I couldn't fix it (That, or I"m too lazy. It's somewhere around here.)
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 02:45:03 »
I've got a friend who runs an online store and he recommended against it when I asked about it, he said he had to send back so many on warranty claims. I ended up with a G9x which I really love.

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 19:04:31 »
I've got a friend who runs an online store and he recommended against it when I asked about it, he said he had to send back so many on warranty claims. I ended up with a G9x which I really love.

I actually haven't had any problems with my RAT7, but still prefer the G9x as it's so damn comfortable to use

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 20:12:02 »
I bought a black matte rat7 four months ago and have not had any problems with it. In fact its the most comfortable mouse i have ever used for FPS. It gets alot of hate for its look and its previous model had tracking issues on non black surfaces. The sheer customization is why i bought it, i have small hands with a finger tip grip so a deathadder/logitech g500 feels like a football to me.

pros: finger tip/claw grip/palm grip(when fully extended), fully customizable to fit you hands, removable weight system, love the packaging (i know i know weird, but i enjoy the fact it comes with a molded foam form to snugly keep the mouse protected when traveling) accessories (now i'm starting to sound like a little girl) but it comes with 3 different grips that can be changed to your liking (rubber grips  :thumb:). i love the pinky wing which keeps your pinky from rubbing on your mouse pad. Four different customizable DPI profiles with on the fly profile changing. Great weight and build quality (doesnt feel chintzy and isnt falling apart in my hand)

cons: useless sniper button (dropping your DPI when sniping seems rather useless and gimmicky to me) Mad Catz software to change your DPI profiles sometimes crashes for me (not sure if other have this problem) SHINE this mouse shines like a mofo, started shining on the left/right trigger buttons with less than a months use.

i would recommend this mouse to anyone interested in FPS, still love my naga for MMO/RTS though. Its a bit pricey but i would only buy this mouse new. As i said before some older models had issues with the laser jumping and sometimes failing, so i would stay away from auction sites selling used rat 7s.

8/10 would click again  :p

*edit i have a RatM coming in the mail for my laptop, something to check out if your into wireless as the rat9 has battery life issues
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 December 2013, 20:55:01 by HipsterPunks »
sell out and eat ass

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 20:32:26 »
Weird I find the sniping button to be absolutely badass and I use it all the time.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 19:24:56 »
My personal opinion
-Unusable sensor (depending on habits and playstyle) in Philips Twin Eye
-Too heavy
-Can not really care about the features
-Ugly
-Mad Catz :( I said goodbye to their products a long time ago, and they have yet to redeem themselves
-Expensive

Personally I would probably be happier (and perform better) with a 30 dollar WMO 1.1a off ebay.

But to each his own. I am sure there are people who like it, and I am sure it does the job (depending on what you are looking for). Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 December 2013, 19:27:19 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0