Author Topic: My IBM Model M has weird dangly bits  (Read 3022 times)

Offline doctorpiorno

My IBM Model M has weird dangly bits
« on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 10:36:57 »
Hi all,

This morning I was lucky enough to bump into a Model M during a morning visit to the Rastro (a massive flea market in Madrid) and decided to buy it on the spot as a late Christmas pressie for a friend, with a view to convert her to the Cult of the One True Keyboard. The label on the bottom is worn away, so I don't know what vintage it is, but it seems to be in good condition and tested fine on my computer. Yay!

I did come up with a surprise when I started stripping the keytops away for the routine cleansing ritual, though. Unlike any other Model M I have laid my eyes on, this one has some sort of cable attached to the spacebar. I don't dare crack open the case to investigate where it goes, but it seems to disappear below the black plastic layer that separates the keytops from the PCB. On the other end, it's connected to a little piece of copper attached to the underside of the spacebar. See attached pics for reference.

I'm not overly worried about it being there, but I'm curious as to what its purpose might be. Has any of the Model M historians in this forum seen something like this before? Any clue what its purpose might be?

Thanks in advance for any info and merry Christmas to everyone!

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 10:43:10 »
Why not crack open the case? It'll allow you to clean the keyboard better, and there may be further identification underneath. The odds of causing damage aren't high if you don't do anything stupid (like expose the controller to ESD or something.)

I'm seriously interested in what this thing is.

Anyway, we'll work with what we've got...

Color of IBM logo: Is it white with blue lettering, white with gray lettering, or metal with black lettering?
Drainage holes: Are there four drainage holes along the front?
Cable: Is it detachable? If so, AT or PS/2?
Speaker: Does it have one?

Offline lam47

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 10:51:59 »
My one has it. 1992 UK grey logo on the left detachable cable.
It is bolted to the metal plate.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline doctorpiorno

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 10:55:56 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;16272
Why not crack open the case?

I'm tempted to, but I'll be giving it to the lucky recipient tomorrow and I'm afraid I won't be able to put it back together quickly enough if I tinker with it too much. Besides, I'd be surprised if I managed to find an allen wrench of the appropriate size on a Sunday evening in Madrid. :)

More details: the logo is blue lettering on light grey. No drainage holes. It does have a speaker grille, but no speaker that I can see. It definitely didn't make any sound other than the usual clicky goodness when I tested it. The cable is PS/2 and detachable. Keytops are two-piece.

This is a European Spanish layout keyboard, by the way (¡ýáý! ¡fúññý éúrópéáñ çháráçtérs!), so I'm not how sure serial numbers correlate to the US-manufactured Model Ms. Most of the ones we got over here were UK-made.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 10:56:50 »
OK, sounds like something IBM UK did, and seems like it's for grounding... but why?

Offline lam47

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 10:58:30 »
It could be something to fo with the UKs obsession with grounding everything.
We still use a 3 pin mains socket here but for years most electrical goods have only used the live and neutral. Time was everything used the earth pin too.
Although earthing a plastic space bar is nutty even for us Brits.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 10:59:23 »
But see, almost all outlets in the US have been three-pin for years, and lots of stuff is grounded here. ;)

And we don't have grounded spacebars. :p

Offline lam47

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 11:05:33 »
I thought the US used a 2 pin plug? or am I thinking of Japan?

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 11:06:51 »
The Keytronic KT2001 has a grounded space bar:
http://www.keytronic.com/home/products/specs/euro_kt2001.htm

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 11:09:18 »
Well, if an appliance only uses 2 pins, that's usually how many pins are on the plug, but the grounding pin is on almost all outlets nowadays.

All desktop computers use 3 pins, for example.

Offline Busty

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 11:28:48 »
I think the ground at the space could be related to the metal bracket and that it could act as an antenna for static charges on the plastic. In some lab environments they are close to paranoid when it comes to static charges on moving plastic parts and potential outlets for that.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 11:37:33 »
I have one of these space bar wires too. German Layout, blue logo.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline sandy55

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 20:04:40 »
Mine is '96 UK Greenock with blue logo. grounding wire is clipped to base plate ( not bolted ).

see keyboard details here

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 18 February 2009, 11:38:24 »
To add one more twist, apparently there are space bars with only two support braces around as well (Sandy's pics above show ones with three). They appear to be interchangeable with the others, just swapped them around for a test. My 1991 M had the two braces version (otherwise similar to the lower one on Sandy's picture) and no grounding, while the 1989 and 1993 samples have the regular version (upper one in Sandy's pic) plus grounding.

The 1991 sample also has a slightly rougher key feel (must be due to actuator panel, not keys themselves), which leads me to think that maybe it was destined for a lesser model PS/2. Otherwise they're all 1391403s (German layout) made in Scotland. The newer ones both have print 08A stated on the label but one is build 94A and the other 81C (the latter is the only one to have drainage holes as well).

Grounding the space bar is most probably not rooted in an obsession for grounding everything. ;) I'd rather guess that it was intended to drain off static charges to keep people in dry environments (think air conditioning) from getting zapped when subsequently touching any grounded parts like the computer case, and possibly to protect the keyboard's and mouse's electronics as well. The space bar is about the first thing you touch. ABS plastic may not be terribly conductive, but a few megohms generally will do.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 May 2009, 04:32:55 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D