Author Topic: Ender's Game  (Read 10806 times)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Re: Ender's Game
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 12:52:55 »
Is there a reason he's called 'Ender' ?

His real name is Andrew, but as young children it was mispronounced as "Ender" and it stuck.

Also it sounds cool.  He did end the Formec war, after all.

oh... :/

but wasn't the twist of the movie that there wasn't actually a war?

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 13:19:56 »

No, actually the twist is that Ender believes he's engaging in a simulation, a "game" when in fact the ships he's using for his simulation are real ships, in actual combat. They don't tell him this in order to spare him the anguish, guilt, etc. -- so that he can be completely dispassionate.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 13:49:41 »

No, actually the twist is that Ender believes he's engaging in a simulation, a "game" when in fact the ships he's using for his simulation are real ships, in actual combat. They don't tell him this in order to spare him the anguish, guilt, etc. -- so that he can be completely dispassionate.

I've only seen the movie and that barely seemed like a twist to me tbh... the bit at the end where he asks Harrison Ford why the aliens didn't attack or do anything and his reply made it seem more like that we started the war and that the whole goal was basically genocide

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 14:04:52 »
It wasn't explained very well. The Formecs did start the war, but they could never commicate with humans.  They use telepathy. After the first two attacks the queen realized that humans were sentient and she backed off.  Unfortunately the humans had no way of knowing and they wouldn't have believed it anyway.  She knew Ender was coming for her and that she would surely die.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 20:49:38 »

I just read the book, and this part kinda threw me.

Plot was pretty good (except for above mentioned thing), and the writing was OK. I was really expecting something more dramatic.

I need to go see the movie. :(
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate