Author Topic: Cherry blue Filco mini - who's ordered one??  (Read 4275 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Cherry blue Filco mini - who's ordered one??
« on: Thu, 01 January 2009, 06:40:36 »
So, who has ordered the blue Cherry equipped Filco mini? (FKBN87MC/EB)

Seems to be less available than then others...but J-Goods can get it for you.  Or is everyone going for the white Alps variant?

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 January 2009, 06:55:03 »
I was thinking of getting one when I saw this option was available, but I think the higher pitch sound of Cherry blues might annoy me. I really like the sound and feel of white ALPS. If I do get a Filco tenkeyless it will be with Cherry browns, to replace my Compaq MX 11800.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 January 2009, 06:55:58 »
: ) I am still undecided.
I really like the form factor of the filco mini and the white xm switches are really nice.
But after using the M10 and revisiting the Das the blue cherries have become interesting to me also.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline iMav

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 January 2009, 07:05:39 »
Quote from: Chloe;16868
I was thinking of getting one when I saw this option was available, but I think the higher pitch sound of Cherry blues might annoy me. I really like the sound and feel of white ALPS. If I do get a Filco tenkeyless it will be with Cherry browns, to replace my Compaq MX 11800.

The browns are quite nice.  I owned a Cherry brown-equipped Filco mini for a brief period of time and really enjoyed them.

Offline lodc

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 January 2009, 07:39:55 »
Quote from: iMav;16865
So, who has ordered the blue Cherry equipped Filco mini? (FKBN87MC/EB)

Seems to be less available than then others...but J-Goods can get it for you.  Or is everyone going for the white Alps variant?

ordered one a couple days ago from j-goods.  they told me it won't get shipped from the seller to them until probably the 5th or later.   so then another couple weeks or so I guess after that till i actually get it.  cant wait.

Offline Therac-25

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 January 2009, 13:03:35 »
After I evaluate the M10 tomorrow (UPS says it's in Windsor, so I hope they can drive a whole 2 hours to get it here tomorrow morning), I am probably going to line up a blue one.

I'd really like to know if there's a hope of getting them blank, though.
das keyboard model s professional
HyperX Alloy FPS Pro Tenkeyless Blue
Model M Mini

Offline djones

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 January 2009, 17:19:09 »
I'm probably going to order from benippon once they are open; I've sent them an email about 'bulk' discounts for buying 3 or more boards at a time, to see if I can get together with a few geekhackers to save a few bucks..

Offline iMav

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 01 January 2009, 18:56:13 »
Quote from: djones;16919
I'm probably going to order from benippon once they are open; I've sent them an email about 'bulk' discounts for buying 3 or more boards at a time, to see if I can get together with a few geekhackers to save a few bucks..

Last time I checked with beNippon, they couldn't get the blue Cherry 'board (but could get the others).

Offline iMav

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 January 2009, 10:44:35 »
Quote from: lodc;16880
ordered one a couple days ago from j-goods.  they told me it won't get shipped from the seller to them until probably the 5th or later.   so then another couple weeks or so I guess after that till i actually get it.  cant wait.

How much did it cost you?

Offline lodc

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 02 January 2009, 17:38:37 »
Quote from: iMav;16956
How much did it cost you?

$189.73 (so long as no new charges come in from paypal, my bank, etc.  first time i've done this so not totally sure).

Offline skriefal

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 02 January 2009, 18:39:45 »
Mine was about $140 shipped from GMarket.

Offline lodc

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 02 January 2009, 23:59:57 »
Quote from: skriefal;16966
Mine was about $140 shipped from GMarket.

Is that shipped to the US?  Price of the keyboard itself in japan is $120 (at least on the web sites I could find, maybe there is a better one?).  Heck of a deal if commission and shipping is only $20.

Offline Therac-25

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 03 January 2009, 00:12:07 »
What's the best option for shipping to Canadia?  

I nearly destroyed my Razer today.  I'm on an old IBM rubber dome I had around, but it's key layout is driving me nuts.

I'm pretty much ready to order one of these now.  Just looking for the best option here.
das keyboard model s professional
HyperX Alloy FPS Pro Tenkeyless Blue
Model M Mini

Offline skriefal

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 03 January 2009, 09:55:56 »
Quote from: lodc;16981
Is that shipped to the US?  Price of the keyboard itself in japan is $120 (at least on the web sites I could find, maybe there is a better one?).  Heck of a deal if commission and shipping is only $20.

Yes, that includes the commission and shipping to the USA.  But it looks like the dollar has slipped quite a bit since I ordered my Filco in November, so it'll likely cost you at least an additional $20 if you order now.

Offline lodc

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 03 January 2009, 10:07:47 »
Quote from: skriefal;16998
Yes, that includes the commission and shipping to the USA.  But it looks like the dollar has slipped quite a bit since I ordered my Filco in November, so it'll likely cost you at least an additional $20 if you order now.

that is interesting, live and learn :)  I guess ~$30 isn't that big of a deal,but good to know for the future.

maybe it is cheaper because gmarket is in Korea?  I have a difficult time reading some of their site, but they have several keyboards from Filco listed there, maybe are they an actual retailer instead of a buying service?

I will definitely check their site when buying the next board.  One more thing, you've had the blue cherry filco since november?  where's the review?? :)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 03 January 2009, 10:24:33 »
Quote from: lodc;16964
$189.73 (so long as no new charges come in from paypal, my bank, etc.  first time i've done this so not totally sure).

I have a quote from J-Goods for 180.91 but don't know if this is the final price.
I e-mailed them to ask but they have not replied.
When I read their website it sounds like the first quote is for the keyboard and if you accept they will send the final price which I am guessing includes shipping and handling. But I don't know what to think as they don't respond.

Offline lodc

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 03 January 2009, 10:52:32 »
Quote from: bigpook;17000
I have a quote from J-Goods for 180.91 but don't know if this is the final price.
I e-mailed them to ask but they have not replied.
When I read their website it sounds like the first quote is for the keyboard and if you accept they will send the final price which I am guessing includes shipping and handling. But I don't know what to think as they don't respond.

I read that on their website too, but when they sent me the quote, they said there would not need to be a second billing because in this case they already know the exact weight of this item.  Your price might be a little different than mine just because of last leg shipping or maybe dollar vs yen changes?

They were very quick to responsd when I wrote them (matter of minutes), but some of their messages did get caught by gmail's spam filter.  Might want to make sure they haven't written you back and something similar happened.  Also they mentioned that basically the whole country is on vaca till Monday for the new year, so that might explain it.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 03 January 2009, 10:59:40 »
lodc

dang. The first email from j-goods made it through, the next 2 got trapped by the spam filter.
Anyways, that is the total price. I think I will go for it.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 03 January 2009, 11:08:12 »
Whoever ordered from Gmarket — does that keyboard have Korean symbols on it?

Offline skriefal

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 03 January 2009, 11:38:33 »
Quote from: lodc;16999
maybe it is cheaper because gmarket is in Korea?  I have a difficult time reading some of their site, but they have several keyboards from Filco listed there, maybe are they an actual retailer instead of a buying service?

As I understand it, GMarket is similar to eBay or the Amazon Marketplace.  The difference is that they act as a direct middleman, with sellers shipping items to GMarket who then reships them to the purchaser.

One more thing, you've had the blue cherry filco since november?  where's the review?? :)

Review?  What's that? :)  The keyboard is very nice -- good size (due to removal of numpad), good build quality.  The Cherry switches have a lighter touch than my usual Northgate Omnikey keyboard (w/white Alps), good tactile feel, and reduced noise compared to the white Alps or buckling spring (but still plenty audible).  I'll certainly consider other blue Cherry based keyboards in the future.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 03 January 2009, 11:40:16 »
Quote from: xsphat;17003
Whoever ordered from Gmarket — does that keyboard have Korean symbols on it?

It's a standard US layout, but the keycaps do have both English and Korean lettering.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 03 January 2009, 11:44:43 »
Quote from: skriefal;17008
It's a standard US layout, but the keycaps do have both English and Korean lettering.

And that is standard for Korean 'boards, right? That's why I haven't looked into them very much.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 03 January 2009, 14:54:43 »
I don't know if it's standard for Korean keyboards.