Author Topic: Which Keycaps are Cherry Profile PBT?  (Read 4853 times)

Offline stancato9

Which Keycaps are Cherry Profile PBT?
« on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 23:00:24 »
Can anyone give me a quick run through of the possible sets of keycaps that are cherry profile pbt? Thanks in advance.

Also is there anywhere you can buy blank pbt keycaps individually? I don't like the ones with the clear LED plastic on them that came with my set. I'd prefer them to be solid. Thanks.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline tbc

Re: Which Keycaps are Cherry Profile PBT?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 23:09:46 »
I think the most popular cherry profile pbt caps are the IMSTO thick pbt caps.  That set doesn't have windows for capslock or anything else.  feng sells them.

ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 23:16:23 »
I was aware of those, there just a little out of my price range. Looking for a more affordable set. Thanks though! :)
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 02:46:05 »
Vortex one are OEM profile

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 03:17:32 »
Try looking for an old Cherry keyboard on eBay?

Depending on the layout you might need to get a Moogle kit to make it fit a modern keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 04:34:02 »
Here you are, a brand new Keyboard with Cherry Profile PBT keycap (laser etched)
There are 2 important notes :
+ right shift 2.0
+ spacebar 7.0 (off-centre)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Compaq-Keyboard-w-Trackball-P-N-185152-406-/200981764791?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item2ecb725ab7
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 November 2013, 05:27:32 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 10:37:12 »
Cherry G80 / G81 models that are white/beige/light grey with sub-model codes like SAU (dyesub), LAMUS (lasered) L**XX/XY (blank), There are many M9/MX/MY models of Triumph Adler/Royal typewriters that have PBT dyesub but won't yield you a full modern keyboard compatible set, Light color Noppoo Choc and Plum keyboard and possibly dark color too now on more recent production. There may be a few others that I'm not thinking of right now.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 10:40:31 »
Cherry G80 / G81 models that are white/beige/light grey with sub-model codes like SAU (dyesub), LAMUS (lasered) L**XX/XY (blank), There are many M9/MX/MY models of Triumph Adler/Royal typewriters that have PBT dyesub but won't yield you a full modern keyboard compatible set, Light color Noppoo Choc and Plum keyboard and possibly dark color too now on more recent production. There may be a few others that I'm not thinking of right now.

Again Ivan with the knowledge bomb.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 10:47:33 »
The most cheap ones that I know of and are new (or were) were the Vortex dyesub pbt with cherry profile GB ran by Feng like a little less than 1 year ago. I got one set and I can't compare it with an IMSTO set (yet), but the profile is definitely lower than oem (filco). These sets were like 40$ plus shipping and even if it was probably not the best dyesub ever, the caps themselves are very nice thick pbt cherry profile. I use them at home and I am very satisfied with them, but I don't think you can find them except on the classified.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline stancato9

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 11:15:11 »

Wow thanks for that in depth response.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 12:30:42 »
I have some more related questions (thread hijack ftw!):
What profile are stock CM keys?
Which key profile is more common?
It seems like a lot of keycap sets I've seen online don't bother to list the profile, is this because the height of the keys varies between brands?

Thanks much!!
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 12:32:49 »
1) What profile are stock CM keys?
2) Which key profile is more common?
3) It seems like a lot of keycap sets I've seen online don't bother to list the profile, is this because the height of the keys varies between brands?

1) OEM
2) OEM
3) Yes

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 16:12:54 »
Somewhat derailment, but does anyone know the profile of the Keycool (i.e. banggood) PBT caps? I feel like they might be both OEM, but either due to bad eyesight or my mind, I feel as if the Keycool caps are just a tad lower.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline divito

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 16:31:35 »
Somewhat derailment, but does anyone know the profile of the Keycool (i.e. banggood) PBT caps? I feel like they might be both OEM, but either due to bad eyesight or my mind, I feel as if the Keycool caps are just a tad lower.

They are the same height as my Das' caps, and QFS caps, so yes, OEM.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 21:26:04 »

They are the same height as my Das' caps, and QFS caps, so yes, OEM.

Nice, that's what I thought was most likely. I actually like OEM profile, high-profile keycaps are good-looking to me.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.