Author Topic: How Can I Replicate the Dolch Look?  (Read 4687 times)

Offline stancato9

How Can I Replicate the Dolch Look?
« on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 23:35:33 »
I'm looking to replicate the dolch keycap look for cheaper than what it would cost to actually buy a dolch board. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let me know.

From DanGWanG's blog:

Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline calavera

Re: How Can I Replicate the Dolch Look?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 23:49:27 »
There really isn't.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 23:57:22 »
There has to be. It doesn't have to be 100% the same.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 00:04:27 »
Well, you can get black doubleshots from various MX and MY boards all week... and you could probably pair it with the dark grey alphabetic keys from one of the older group buys.  Round 1 had them, for example.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 00:08:32 »
Can you link me to the round 1 keycaps you are talking about? I can't seem to find any info on them.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 00:09:02 »
Well, you can get black doubleshots from various MX and MY boards all week... and you could probably pair it with the dark grey alphabetic keys from one of the older group buys.  Round 1 had them, for example.

which at the end of the day will cost around the same as a dolch set
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 00:10:49 »
For one, that's not dolch.

For two, it's still cheaper to buy a dolch board on ebay than to try and find any of the SP replicas.  You might be able to get it from originative, but it won't be cheaper, either.

For three, why are you asking a question and then arguing with the answer because it wasn't the one you wanted to hear?

Offline stancato9

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 00:19:32 »
Sorry. Wasn't aware. That's what it was called on DanGWanG's blog which is why I called it that.

I'm not even looking for replicas though. I'm just looking for keycaps that have roughly the same look. The gray and dark grey. Or it could even be grey and black. Just something close.

I wouldn't call it arguing.. Arguing has a really negative connotation to it. I wasn't arguing at all. I just do not think it's possible for there not to be something at least SIMILAR to the "Dolch" look out there with the huge assortment of keycaps there are in the world.

Edit: Are there any white on grey keycap sets that are easy to get a hold of? I wouldn't mind that look if I were to combine it with any set of black mods.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 November 2013, 00:21:47 by stancato9 »
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 00:20:44 »
again, sourcing from various places will get you to the same price as a full set from ebay/here.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 00:21:04 »
Sorry. Wasn't aware. That's what it was called on DanGWanG's blog which is why I called it that.

I'm not even looking for replicas though. I'm just looking for keycaps that have roughly the same look. The gray and dark grey. Or it could even be grey and black. Just something close.

I wouldn't call it arguing.. Arguing has a really negative connotation to it. I wasn't arguing at all. I just do not think it's possible for there not to be something at least SIMILAR to the "Dolch" look out there with the huge assortment of keycaps there are in the world.

It's not that there aren't.  It's that they aren't cheaper.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 02:45:44 »
Dolch set from originative

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 03:10:05 »
If you keep looking, you might eventually find a cheap Dolch unit on eBay.

Or you could keep trying to nudge various group buys that are soliciting colour votes towards Dolch, but as there have been a couple of Dolch GBs recently you might be waiting a while.

So, try both approaches - eventually you should get lucky.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 10:29:12 »
you could do the same general thing with WASD keys for pretty cheap... but it will not be the same.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 10:47:40 »

Lol, yes it is, homie. The mods are a bit dark, which means they MIGHT be black, but those are Dolch alphas for sure. You can see the scooped F and J. Using a moogle of course.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 10:49:28 »
If you're cool with blanks, doesn't SP sell alphas and mods sets these days?

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 12:18:03 »

Lol, yes it is, homie. The mods are a bit dark, which means they MIGHT be black, but those are Dolch alphas for sure. You can see the scooped F and J. Using a moogle of course.
Those are Dolch alphas and WoB modifiers, same setup on my keyboard.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 12:44:19 »
What are WoB?

Edit:
nvm, it just came to me.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 13:08:56 »

I'm not entirely sure. My thought is the lighting is bad. Dan liked his rare items, and didn't strike me as the kind of guy to mix Dolch like that, especially when they were as desired as they were back then.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 14:54:09 »

I'm not entirely sure. My thought is the lighting is bad. Dan liked his rare items, and didn't strike me as the kind of guy to mix Dolch like that, especially when they were as desired as they were back then.
No he stated that is what they were somewhere.  I can't find the exact post.

EDIT: http://dangwang.wordpress.com/2012/07/09/some-60-love/

Both keyboards fitted with Dolch and Cherry doubleshots, they come into the ring contending for the best slot.  But, les-bian-est, right one wins by TKO.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 November 2013, 14:57:23 by MKULTRA »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 14:56:09 »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 15:04:32 »
You can buy it now

http://www.originativeco.com/collections/keysets-1/products/dolch

I just dropped $200 on Dolch... :|

I see, MKULTRA. Looks nice, for sure.

Offline divito

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 15:24:15 »
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff

Offline divito

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 16:00:07 »
The 87 key set is winkey...

Strange, 87 wasn't in the drop-down when I looked. That or I'm just blind. Thanks for pointing that out!
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline stancato9

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 16:32:27 »
Thanks for the link. If I can't find someone selling a used set I'll buy straight off there.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 19:41:47 »
You might want to reconsider that before they're sold out

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 19:45:38 »
Look on Ebay for an old sniffer unit,
Some model numbers are the G80-1813 HFU and the G80-1813 HDU :p
Or buy from sherry, his set is wonderful

-OG Dolch Alphas
-OG WoB Tab, Left shift, Backspace and Enter
-SP Caps Lock and Moogle
-R3/R1 GH Cap
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 November 2013, 19:47:12 by Dubsgalore »

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 20:20:24 »
If you keep looking, you might eventually find a cheap Dolch unit on eBay.

Or you could keep trying to nudge various group buys that are soliciting colour votes towards Dolch, but as there have been a couple of Dolch GBs recently you might be waiting a while.

So, try both approaches - eventually you should get lucky.

I think it's worth asking "What board he has, and what he's aiming for look-wise."

If you've got a full-sized board, buying a Dolch board will lead to frustration as many of the modifiers will be the wrong size.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 00:09:24 »
Nope I have a Poker 2 and a QFR :)

Thanks dubs, I'll keep an eye out for those on ebay.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 00:11:41 »
buy it on originative

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 00:16:11 »
Look on Ebay for an old sniffer unit,
Some model numbers are the G80-1813 HFU and the G80-1813 HDU :p
Or buy from sherry, his set is wonderful

-OG Dolch Alphas
-OG WoB Tab, Left shift, Backspace and Enter
-SP Caps Lock and Moogle
-R3/R1 GH Cap
Btw dubs 2.25 R-Shift exists on OG Cherry sets.  I have one.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 01:16:17 »
OP why replicate when you can have the real deal and its new product http://www.originativeco.com/collections/keysets-1/products/dolch
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 09:01:09 »
OP why replicate when you can have the real deal and its new product http://www.originativeco.com/collections/keysets-1/products/dolch
Because that would be the logical thing to do.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 09:41:33 »

Well for the price :p

If it was possible to get a similar look for cheaper than why not. Seems like it isn't though.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 09:44:34 »

If it was possible to get a similar look for cheaper than why not. Seems like it isn't though.

Sometimes 'cheaper' just is not possible! These key caps are worth it!

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 14:13:40 »

If money are issue then screw keycaps, life comes first. But if money are not issue you will regret it big time trust me. By the time you end up trying to mix and match colors from SP sets, or just buying Dolch pac with used keycaps will cost you at least $80 shipped, then you need Moogle, expect Dolch Moogle to be good $30+ because its hard to find ( if you can find one....)

By the time you know, your view of getting cheaper look alike Dolch caps will crush down because you will be hitting $100 price mark and them keys will be used. Look at it this way, if you have ANSI board you will only spend $120 for 104 keys and around $100 for 87 keys.

Your call but don't waste your money for something that will never be and will always stay as wanna be, my moto is buy once, pay the asking price and use it for long time,  instead of buying 2nd hand stuff and then end up not really using them at all.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 15:19:02 »

This will get you the Dolch look with new keycaps with no shine now.

Or you can wait and see if someone sells a set in classifieds for less than this (unlikely, unless they are falling apart with shine), or find an original Dolch set on eBay really cheap (also unlikely, and would cost you more to get additional keys to suit modern keyboard).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ