Author Topic: Alps switch transplant / soldering question  (Read 2399 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Alps switch transplant / soldering question
« on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 20:39:33 »
I am transplanting Alps switches and there is a perforated metal front plate with a circuit board behind it. The switches sit on top of and through the metal plate and solder into the back plate.

My question is about pressure / torque / tension between plates, whatever you want to call it. My experience with things like bolt-modding Model Ms leads me to believe that the tension or pressure between switches and plates will have a significant effect on the feel of the final product.

Should I try to pull them tight, leave them loose, or just not worry about it? How do I know how firm or snug the switch should be seated?

Thanks.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Alps switch transplant / soldering question
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 20:45:00 »
Another tangential issue:

I am have a beige locking Alps from CapsLock on an Apple that I kind of like.

Would it do to use it for CapsLock on a Dell AT101W circuit board? Or would it cause me "electrical" troubles when it was locked down?

Thanks again.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 06:59:15 »
Bump.

Any advice out there?
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 07:26:18 »
PM CptBadAss or wait till he sees this thread. He loves Alps and will at least have an opinion or a source of info.

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 07:27:13 »
I have some experience with Alps switches. Putting pressure on the plate is not likely to help, the best way to improve switch feel is to mount the plate securely to the case. That said, it would be cool if you could test it and post the results.
For the locking switches, I don't think it would cause electrical issues but I believe the firmware has to support a locking caps lock. Again, I'm not quite sure on this so you could definitely test it!
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 09:43:13 »
The pressure/torque/fit didn't matter when I transplanted switches into the Ducky 1087XM. However, that board wasn't the same as a Ducky 1087XM. I don't think it matters with Alps switches though. My experience with Alps has been they're a lot like Cherry switches.

Would it do to use it for CapsLock on a Dell AT101W circuit board? Or would it cause me "electrical" troubles when it was locked down?

I honestly don't know. If you try it, let me know what you find out? :D