Author Topic: Apple II DOS source code released  (Read 4070 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Apple II DOS source code released
« on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 17:04:15 »
A piece of history.

http://www.computerhistory.org/atchm/apple-ii-dos-source-code/

I still miss the sound of an Apple II floppy drive resetting as the machine booted.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Apple II DOS source code released
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 17:07:46 »
Interesting, I remember back in the day the first school computer lab we had was comprised of Apple II's

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 17:10:49 »
Interesting, I remember back in the day the first school computer lab we had was comprised of Apple II's

Same here, then the school moved to BBC Model B in an actual network with a File Server!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 17:16:12 »

Same here (elementary school)...and they were TKL :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 November 2013, 17:54:43 by smknjoe »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 18:16:55 »

Same here (elementary school)...and they were TKL :)

The Apples?  I would have described them as 60% ;)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 19:55:47 »
Actually, the later Apple IIes  had a numeric pad, making the layout maybe 70%.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 20:32:41 »
Almost all PCs come with numpads now. My point was that the originals didn't and that's what I became accustom to (not using a numpad.)
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 21:24:47 »
Almost all PCs come with numpads now. My point was that the originals didn't and that's what I became accustom to (not using a numpad.)

I also still remember how you could start up your Apple Mac from the keyboard.  It was wonderful to press that Start switch and the machine sprang into life, I thought all PC's started up that way back then, little did I know.........

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 21:50:52 »

I also still remember how you could start up your Apple Mac from the keyboard.  It was wonderful to press that Start switch and the machine sprang into life, I thought all PC's started up that way back then, little did I know.........

We've still got an old PC case that actually has a big red switch on the side of the power supply.  Until recently it was used as a stand for a projector.

Before Ctrl-Alt-Del came along, we used to throw the big red switch.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 22:43:06 »
From the price list image's description of the Apple II:

"typewriter-style keyboard with N-key rollover"
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 23:04:59 »

I wonder what a "non-typewriter-style" keyboard would have been.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 16:38:57 »

I wonder what a "non-typewriter-style" keyboard would have been.

didnt scissor-switch keyboards exist back then?  if so perhaps by "typewriter-style" they referred to the tactile/clicky feedback from the ALPS switches?
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 18:04:23 »
OK... now where is the ARM port so we can put whole computer inside M0110 keyboard.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 18:07:04 »
OK... now where is the ARM port so we can put whole computer inside M0110 keyboard.
Show Image

Neat idea, but it would be too heavily tied to the Apple II hardware.

Actually I hadn't realised how close that layout is to HHKB!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 18:25:04 »
Oh you're right... there is some II hardware replica made with fpga or something  that are tiny though. That should work.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 19:03:42 »
Actually I hadn't realised how close that layout is to HHKB!

Where did you think HHKB would get that layout from to begin with?  There are always previous designs that are no longer made hence it's a cue for some to take them and redo it for the current times.

Keyboard layouts don't have copyright hence far easier to include any layout design within your manufactured keyboard without fear of litigation, especially when those companies who made the original designs no longer exist.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 19:22:38 »
Yeah basically... M0110 + Sun layout = HHKB.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 19:32:17 »
I have old Sun keyboards too :)

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 08:58:22 »
A piece of history.

I still miss the sound of an Apple II floppy drive resetting as the machine booted.
Me too and I think the command to boot off the disk was pr6 or pr#6, that was my first personal home computer.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 15:27:28 »
A piece of history.

Me too and I think the command to boot off the disk was pr6 or pr#6, that was my first personal home computer.

PR#6 to reboot.

PR#3 to switch to 80 column mode (if you had such a video card installed).

PR#1 for printer?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 15:37:22 »
I too used Apple IIs in elementary school for typing lessons and monochrome Oregon Trail. :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 15:46:23 »
I too used Apple IIs in elementary school for typing lessons and monochrome Oregon Trail. :D

Show Image

YES that was the best game EVER.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 20:31:31 »

Show Image

Same here...and then I had to go home and use my crappy Commodore Vic-20. I liked the Apple much better. Oh, the trials and tribulations of being 8 years old.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 04:13:28 »
I haven't played that one.

But I did play Apple Invaders, Galaxian, Tumble Bugs, Blitzkreig, Lode Runner, gee the memories are coming back.

Almost tempted to go online (er, I am online, ok go to a certain online auction site) and see if anyone is selling an old Apple II.

But there again there are some quite good emulators around these days.

AppleWin is one that springs to mine.

And JACE.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 08:51:14 »
I haven't played that one.

But I did play Apple Invaders, Galaxian, Tumble Bugs, Blitzkreig, Lode Runner, gee the memories are coming back.

Almost tempted to go online (er, I am online, ok go to a certain online auction site) and see if anyone is selling an old Apple II.

But there again there are some quite good emulators around these days.

AppleWin is one that springs to mine.

And JACE.
I kind of wished I kept my Apple ][ but when the Macintosh came out I donated it to the local middle school my daughter attended. They had some and were more than happy to get another.