Author Topic: Stem imprint on top of keycap  (Read 2360 times)

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
Stem imprint on top of keycap
« on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 15:53:12 »
Is it normal for some of the key caps to have the stem imprint on the top of the cap? This is a stock Rosewill key cap that I've been using for a few years. It is kind of hard to capture it so I hope these pictures came out well enough to see what I mean.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: Stem imprint on top of keycap
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 16:13:45 »
It's not unusual, yes.  I've seen this on various keycaps.  Some keycaps are better made than others.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 17:15:51 »
Looks like it has had a fair bit of use.  ABS?  Might have been slightly thinner than the others, but still passed QA, and now has worn down just enough to make the stem show.

There was another question like this about Topre keycaps recently.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 22:04:52 »
Looks like it has had a fair bit of use.  ABS?  Might have been slightly thinner than the others, but still passed QA, and now has worn down just enough to make the stem show.

They are unfortunately ABS. Several of the other keys on the same row have the same issue. It's not awful, and I can't really even feel the dip/bump but that keyboard has definitely seen some use.

Any recommendations on a new set of key caps that are affordableish. I love the PBTs I have on my Das but I can't justify spending that much again on my work keyboard.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 01:13:54 »

They are unfortunately ABS. Several of the other keys on the same row have the same issue. It's not awful, and I can't really even feel the dip/bump but that keyboard has definitely seen some use.

Any recommendations on a new set of key caps that are affordableish. I love the PBTs I have on my Das but I can't justify spending that much again on my work keyboard.

banggood.com has a number of cap sets in pbt for very low prices.  they aren't the greatest of quality but still better than most oem ABS sets
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Mikey Mo

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 21:40:21 »
...hard to use...

Offline stancato9

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 21:48:26 »
This seems pretty common. My Poker 2 stock caps had this issue with many of the caps. I wouldn't worry about it too much as you will be replacing them soon :p
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 22:00:10 »
my thick PBT that i got from feng are like that, you can only see it in very bright light.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 22:42:30 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 03:07:19 »
If I get the light just right on my HHKB, I can just about see a very faint mark that could be interpreted as resembling something that might just possibly look a little but like what just might be the stem.

So saying, I don't think it will bother me much at all.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 09:47:06 »
my thick PBT that i got from feng are like that, you can only see it in very bright light.

I also have a set of thick PBT from feng at home on my Das keyboard and a few of them has it as well. I never noticed until I saw it on the keys on my work keyboard. It doesn't bother me because as you said, it is only visible in bright light or a glare(which shouldn't be an issue on my PBT caps any time soon).

It is good to know that it seems to be very common and a non issue in the longevity of some keycaps. Double shots wouldn't have this issue would they?

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 18:03:33 »
My GMK doubleshots dont have that issue at all.
45g Brown Brown Blue