Author Topic: Steampunk keyboards  (Read 5581 times)

Offline billm

Steampunk keyboards
« on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 22:48:28 »
http://steampunkworkshop.com/keyboard.shtml

He seems to make them out of mechanical switches and old typewriter parts.
If it's not ALPS it's crap!

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Steampunk keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 05:23:51 »
Some people here really admire them.  Personally, I think they are ridiculous.  I'd rather give up computing all together than be forced to use one of them on a regular basis.

Offline zwmalone

Steampunk keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 05:35:08 »
It said it can be used to touch type but the ridiculous key shape alone would prohibit me from doing that...
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline lam47

Steampunk keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 06:06:48 »
still its very creative. I like the look of them but would also not be able to use one for long.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline dougy

Steampunk keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 06:27:36 »
Attractive or not the key shape really wouldn't be very difficult to adapt to. The metal rims provide a raised edge that defines a nice sweet spot for the finger, while the glass surface (when clean) has a nicer feel than plastic. Clean is a key here, every mechanical typewriter I remember had an accumulation of dirt where the metal met the glass. Think of ink mixed with dust over a period of years, the result was more like concrete than dirt.

Offline lowpoly

Steampunk keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 07:02:49 »
Attractive or not the key shape really wouldn't be very difficult to adapt to.

Seconding this. After all, the keys were taken from old typewriters.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline itlnstln

Steampunk keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 07:07:04 »
I wish this guy would use Unicomp 'boards for these projects instead of vintage IBMs.  I, personally, feel uneasy about destroying these treasures when there is new stuff to tear up.  For one of these, he tore up a perfectly good M15.  I nearly lost my lunch.  Those 'boards are extremely rare to begin with (keyboard enthusiast or not) let alone destroying one for parts.

Offline lam47

Steampunk keyboards
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 11:13:09 »
destroying is a bit harsh. I bet he makes more for his steampunk boards than an M15 is worth.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Offline itlnstln

Steampunk keyboards
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 January 2009, 11:22:18 »
Maybe, but he takes a good M15 out of circulation (and there aren't many to be had in the first place).

Offline lam47

Steampunk keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 January 2009, 04:24:17 »
I do agree with you personally. I would rather the boards stay intact.
But Im also a big fan of this sort of creativity. I mean this is more to look at than use on a day to day basis.
I am particularly impressed with his brass work.
I assumed he was getting those parts from some other item not making them by hand!
Metal work always impresses me though as I work in wood :)

Offline afton

Steampunk keyboards
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 18:36:24 »
I was going to start a new thread but decided to continue on this one.

This keyboard http://www.datamancer.net/keyboards/vonslattoriginal/vonslattoriginal.htm  
made me want to learn all the hows of working with metals.

Even if I have the money I won't be ordering it because
I think half the satisfaction is in the process of building it and I custom it
to my need, which is ergo layout, plus it has to be functional as well
for fast typing.

« Last Edit: Wed, 29 July 2009, 19:33:44 by afton »
using: Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless MX Brown switch

Offline bitflipper

Steampunk keyboards
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 20:43:20 »
Anybody have a problem with destroying typewriters? Why doesn't he just use those brass rimmed buttons for all the keys? They're bound to be cheaper than a set of vintage typewriter keys.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
Steampunk keyboards
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 20:58:26 »
Quote from: bitflipper;105450
Anybody have a problem with destroying typewriters? Why doesn't he just use those brass rimmed buttons for all the keys? They're bound to be cheaper than a set of vintage typewriter keys.

I can't see brass-rimmed buttons as being that much easier to aquire.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline bitflipper

Steampunk keyboards
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 23:25:20 »
I was thinking of the old Royals from the '30s and '40s. Some writers still use those or at least have the same reverence for them as we have for the Model Ms. The Royal typewriters and key sets do seem to be fairly abundant on ebay.

The modders have my permission to destroy all the Selectrics in the world.

Offline bitflipper

Steampunk keyboards
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 01:04:17 »
Quote from: ripster;105480
That would take a while.  Plus, by the time they do they'll be in fashion again like 70's kitchens.

Gak! I remember the 70's (and not from the TV show). Not a very fashionable decade. Experimental, so I've heard. A lot of great music came out of the '70s, though.

I'm waiting for somebody to do a "beige box" retro mod, complete with a humongous 24" lcd jammed into a beige CRT case.  Now that would be cool! No?

Back to steampunk. I really find the steampunk mouse inspires more creativity than the run of the mill Royal typewriter keycaps 'board.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Steampunk keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 01:57:06 »
This thread brought a tear to my eye. The thing about those keys, they have a glass lens in them and they really aren't very comfortable to type on considering what we have now. They crack or the letters turn to stupid angles and they are b!tch to keep clean. And most of the key sets come off of perfectly functional typewriters these people find at junk shops, flea markets and garage sales for cheap to free. I equate key harvesters to whalers. They're scum and deserve to rot in the hell where people are skinned alive (recognize that quote, Ripster?).

But ultimately it doesn't effect me in the least. I like typewriters from the 50s and up, glass keys weren't used much after 1935.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Steampunk keyboards
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 14:11:28 »
It's from Big Trouble in Little China.

Offline itlnstln

Steampunk keyboards
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 16:19:45 »
I had a roommate in college that loved B movies. I can't tell you how many times I have seen Big Trouble in Little China and Beastmaster.

Oh, and Bloodsport.

TBS's Movies For Guys Who Like Movies  was a staple in the dorm room.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Steampunk keyboards
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 17:51:03 »
Thank you Ripster! That pic is now my desktop. The pic I posted was a screencap off a rip and it was avatar for sooooo long a while back.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Steampunk keyboards
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 17:55:04 »
Little trivia about Big Trouble in Little China - the original script was a western, and if you watch it again you'll notice all the traditional western precepts still in the film, though they aren't as blatant as in Firefly/Serenity. The concept of the first script was the same, that being a movie where the sidekick is the star.

Offline itlnstln

Steampunk keyboards
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 08:04:11 »
Kung Fu was money.

Offline Rajagra

Steampunk keyboards
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 08:33:10 »
Quote from: ripster;105666
I like the full size pic.

Show Image

Needs music.