Author Topic: What platform would you use for a new blog?  (Read 8279 times)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Re: What platform would you use for a new blog?
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 21:47:37 »
Just for fun.  I would recommend you try the hosted options like Tumblr and Ghost (in a few weeks when they roll out the hosted version).  Maybe even checkout weebly.com just so you have a comparison between managing a 'blog' vs a 'website'.  All of them are free and hosted, so you do not have to setup a server anywhere and install source code or any of that stuff.  It will let you evaluate the types of things that are important to you before committing to actually building something.

I am not saying to not use Wordpress, just that now is the time to try the free hosted options before you take that step...

I've ruled out tumblr. I didn't and still can't take it seriously. But I'll check out Ghost and weebly.

Gonna PM you a login to try out ghost in a few minutes :D

I think Ghost is going to be awesome.  I am really looking forward to giving it a shot when I have some time.

@Cap'n: Fair enough re:Tumblr.  I just wanted to point out the easy ones to try before you commit to something so you get a sense for what you like and don't like.  Once you get into the fray of building your own site you will not want to look at them for fear of what you may find.  :P

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 09:04:19 »
Just for fun.  I would recommend you try the hosted options like Tumblr and Ghost (in a few weeks when they roll out the hosted version).  Maybe even checkout weebly.com just so you have a comparison between managing a 'blog' vs a 'website'.  All of them are free and hosted, so you do not have to setup a server anywhere and install source code or any of that stuff.  It will let you evaluate the types of things that are important to you before committing to actually building something.

I am not saying to not use Wordpress, just that now is the time to try the free hosted options before you take that step...

I've ruled out tumblr. I didn't and still can't take it seriously. But I'll check out Ghost and weebly.

Took the plunge with Ghost since hellocodes helped me set a ton of stuff up. Thanks man! :D And yes, you will forever be hellocodes to me :P. I'm still fumbling around with it so I'm not ready to "release it" or whatever.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 22:24:05 »
Thanks for the help so far guys. When I get a chance I'm going to check out Wordpress.

I want to blog about CPTBadAss.

It'd be pretty boring. And mostly ice cream based.

"Today he ate coffee ice cream. He was happy. Then he wanted grapefruit sorbet."

What's wrong with ice cream and sorbet?
I'd read about that any day. Beats the news.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 23:33:14 »

Took the plunge with Ghost since hellocodes helped me set a ton of stuff up. Thanks man! :D And yes, you will forever be hellocodes to me :P. I'm still fumbling around with it so I'm not ready to "release it" or whatever.

Sweet, I just signed up! :D Thanks you two!  :thumb:

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 16:00:09 »
I recently started playing with tumblr again to see how it was and I am pleasantly surprised with how many features have been added.

The website I just launched is: http://swillkb.com/

Some quality features:
- Use your own domain name for free
- Oh right, its FREE
- You can create pages like a normal website and they will show up in a menu (so its not just a blog anymore)
- Many themes to choose from
- Many theme options to give you lots of flexibility
- You can override CSS through the UI.

All in all, it has been pretty enjoyable to work with...

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 08:33:43 »
myspace.com  :thumb:
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 08:42:04 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 08:49:17 »
myspace.com  :thumb:

I loved myspace haha.

With hellocodes' help, I have my blog up. If you want, check it out at http://518.kbd.io. Otherwise, I'm locking the thread since I think it's run it's course.