Author Topic: Very Close Relatives to the Kishsaver?  (Read 4718 times)

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
Very Close Relatives to the Kishsaver?
« on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 22:30:06 »
While browsing the internet, I came across this image:

image from: http://kkraftonline.de/Museum/data/4700-1.htm

All of these keyboards are almost identical to the ones featured on Kishy's website: http://kishy.dyndns.org/?p=648

The only difference is that these have the silver IBM emblem on them. In the image URL, it says "4704 Keyboards" which implies that these are not from other 4700 series terminals, however they could be from other terminals, opening up an entire range of part numbers not currently known or considered. Even if this particular style of board was only ever released for the 4704 terminal, just how many different variations are there? This is where a pictographic parts list of IBM products throughout time would be incredibly useful.

Are these Kishsavers and other 4704 keyboards under our faces on parts websites, but we ignore them because they don't fit the serial numbers that we've confirmed? (and if so, how many are there?)

Also, if I had a choice, I'd choose a branded Kishsaver because I absolutely LOVE the silver IBM logo. It also adds another talking point when people ask questions about my keyboards.
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Very Close Relatives to the Kishsaver?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 23:14:13 »
That was actually the picture and website that lead me to the knowledge of the kishsaver. Well spotted!

Ok I don't know for sure, but I suspect that picture is of promotional IBM images from a catalog for banks or something. I haven't seen any "branded" 4704 keyboards.

I wonder if they are prototypes as you'd need either a different mold, or have to machine the metal down some to make an indentation for the logo there. If you notice, all the other pictures are "unbranded" on the top.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 November 2013, 23:15:47 by dorkvader »

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 23:16:47 »
the logo is raised, it could just be stuck on top.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 23:20:35 »
Will someone explain what the fascination with Kish boards is please?

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 23:25:24 »

Well they're a 60% model f, right? Great form factor and great switch.

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 23:46:13 »
My motivation for [planning on] getting one is the keyswitch combined with the 60% layout (for portability). In addition, the 4704 keyboards have a key where the modern meta key is. Ever since I got a F XT, I've loved the buckling spring over capacitive switch. I didn't like the layout, so I got an F122 (two, actually, but it was more incidental than planned). I use my F122 daily, but I can't take it with me. I need something smaller. I looked into 60% keyboards for the portability factor, but I don't care for Cherry or Topre as much as I do for buckling spring over capacitive. I got a Model M, but I found I prefer Model Fs. I saw the Kishsaver quite a while back while browsing these forums for the first time (long before I made an account) and fell in love. A mysterious Model F that's portable. I'm also majoring in programming, so not being compatible with modern PCs was the least of my worries.

In addition to practical uses, I love having interesting things to talk about. And I'm not the type of person to walk up to someone and start a conversation without any reason, so either a conversation segues into one of the keyboards laying about my room, or just the presence of the keyboard/item makes them ask. So far, this has formed priceless connections. I got my current job through a conversation with my keyboards (and Game Boys and tech in general, but that's somewhat irrelevant). I've had multiple hour long conversations with people who enjoy similar things, but never thought to pursue them. I've gotten my programming teacher talking about the days when he worked on the same keyboards that I get and use. In addition, they have provided me with leads to other people to continue conversations and make new connections.

I've also found that the best conversations and connections come from teaching something to someone. That's easiest to do with obscure things. Things that are similar enough to be recognized, but different enough to be intriguing. And that's where the Kishsaver comes in. The F122 performs a similar function, but I can't bring it around as easily.

Teaching things to your teacher and to your boss in a way that makes them curious shows how much that I can envelop myself in something and usually gets them interested in me in a way that I can use as a jumpstart for when I get out of college.

My desire for a Kishsaver is probably more in-depth than other peoples' reasons, but this is exactly why I want one.

[Edit 1: edited out repetitive use of "interesting"]
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 November 2013, 00:14:38 by Aer Fixus »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 00:56:18 »
I use my F122 daily, but I can't take it with me. I need something smaller. I looked into 60% keyboards for the portability factor, but I don't care for Cherry or Topre as much as I do for buckling spring over capacitive.

Keep in mind this KB weighs more than 5 lbs and the case extends to the sides a little. It's not that small, and only portable if you don't care about weight.

That said, having typed on it, it's pretty awesome. Of course you can't use it with a modern computer until the replacement controller is available.

Well they're a 60% model f, right? Great form factor and great switch.

They also have a metal case. Metal cased cherry MX boards are awesome, but a fully metal model F is the best.

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 12:43:55 »

Keep in mind this KB weighs more than 5 lbs and the case extends to the sides a little. It's not that small, and only portable if you don't care about weight.

5 lbs isn't that much to carry around (for me, anyway) especially considering that I'll be finding/making a carrying case for it. Up until recently, I was sizing a carrying case for my F122, planning to bring it around when it wouldn't be inconvenient (Which would be close to never). The size, while still somewhat large (I've sized it out using pictures against my F122) I think is still reasonable for portability since the biggest factor of bringing my other keyboards around is length. Longer keyboards are just a hassle to carry and use if the extra keys serve no current purpose. They bump on things, or people bump them into things. If they are too much wider than a laptop, people complain about them taking too much space. I'm also that guy who puts "more effort than it's worth" into things, so I don't think that it will be a problem if I ever do get my hands on one and successfully convert it.