Author Topic: I'm on my second mechanical keyboard  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Dude

• Thwock!
I'm on my second mechanical keyboard
« on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 16:03:49 »
I've been a long-time lurker, but decided to jump in and start posting.

I had a Leopold fullsize MX Brown keyboard for a year or so, and finally decided to get a tenkeyless keyboard and switch to Topre keycaps.  I purchased the Realforce 87U Tenkeyless and I'm loving it!  The topre keycaps are incredible.  I can't get enough of the sound  :D

Realforce 87U Tenkeyless

Offline Dude

• Thwock!
Re: I'm on my second mechanical keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 08:36:09 »
I just ended up purchasing a new set of orange printed keycaps for my Realforce.  This is such an expensive hobby!!

Realforce 87U Tenkeyless

Offline ahmadmzak

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 08:55:54 »
I just got started with 2 cherry keyboards (mx brown and green) and the only (I hope) ones I wand to try next are the RF 87U and HHKB P 2. I was thinking I'll buy some custom keycaps right away, but those things are expensive too!

How do you feel about your mx brown keys now that you have tried topre?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 08:57:27 »
Careful Dude, I'm on seventeen boards now? I'm not sure where this rabbit hole ends :(.

Oh and welcome to Geekhack!

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 09:15:29 »
Tomorrow I'm getting the Vortex ONI which is a TKL and the reason I'm getting it is because I have these beautiful key caps that needed a home and the Code is too precious for me to risk taking apart the harder MX clear switch. This ONI is my 6th board. I'm sick!

Offline Dude

• Thwock!
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 10:04:38 »
I just got started with 2 cherry keyboards (mx brown and green) and the only (I hope) ones I wand to try next are the RF 87U and HHKB P 2. I was thinking I'll buy some custom keycaps right away, but those things are expensive too!

To be honest, the mx brown keys feel really stiff and almost scratchy.  I loved my mx brown switches, but now that I have a topre, I don't see myself switching back to cherry's anytime soon.

It is possible that I just needed to use some lube on the browns now that I think about it...

Realforce 87U Tenkeyless

Offline Dude

• Thwock!
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 10:06:49 »
Careful Dude, I'm on seventeen boards now? I'm not sure where this rabbit hole ends :(.

17 boards?!  Good god.  How many do you actively use, and do the others just gather dust or do you rotate them occasionally?

Realforce 87U Tenkeyless

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 21:59:41 »

To be honest, the mx brown keys feel really stiff and almost scratchy.  I loved my mx brown switches, but now that I have a topre, I don't see myself switching back to cherry's anytime soon.

It is possible that I just needed to use some lube on the browns now that I think about it...

lol.  Welcome to GH.  You made the right choice with RF 87U TKL.  :thumb:

Lubing the browns, and then changing the springs as well, will make your Cherry MX keyboard feel almost as good as the Topre.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Dude

• Thwock!
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 10:26:59 »
lol.  Welcome to GH.  You made the right choice with RF 87U TKL.  :thumb:

Lubing the browns, and then changing the springs as well, will make your Cherry MX keyboard feel almost as good as the Topre.

That's the thing - it will make the Cherry MX keyboard feel almost as good as the Topre.  Maybe down the road I'll want to add a new Cherry keyboard to my line-up and spend the time lubing it up, but for now, I'll just stick with my Topre  :)

Realforce 87U Tenkeyless

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 10:33:51 »

17 boards?!  Good god.  How many do you actively use, and do the others just gather dust or do you rotate them occasionally?

Whoa whoa whoa. Nothing gathers dust ok? I'm a small time collector, I've got very little compared to others. Plus some of them are project boards. Can never have enough projects :D.

Right now I use my Filco Majestouch 2 104 at work and at home I'm rotating between my KMAC LE, Epsilon Theta, SSK. I rotate boards about once every two weeks.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 10:35:34 »

It never ends. I'm on my 50th mechanical keyboard. (...and I also just bought my second rubber dome - it sucks)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 10:37:56 »
It never ends. I'm on my 50th mechanical keyboard.

Lol, I've been talking to Haata a lot and I've realized the truth to that statement mr_a500.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 10:41:09 »
I think HaaTa is on his 340th by now. I suspect he might be some kind of giant octopus in real life.