Author Topic: 45g Originative Springs  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Linkbane

45g Originative Springs
« on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 00:37:37 »
I'm personally a fan of very light switches, so I'd just like to put out the question of how people feel using them in clicky, linear, and tactile (Brown/Clear) switches.
Are they a significant departure from the normal light Cherry springs, and has anyone ever actually tried a super-ergo-clear (e.g. clear with 45g springs)?
Thanks for input!
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: 45g Originative Springs
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 03:25:27 »
I doubt the 45g springs will have the strength to return the stem to the top on Clears. Even 62g springs can feel a bit "reluctant" if you don't lube the switches.

Reds should work fine with them, but 45g is REALLY light. Browns may feel good if they're strong enough to push past the bump. I have no idea about Blues.

If you give them a try, please post results.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 03:27:45 »
I doubt the 45g springs will have the strength to return the stem to the top on Clears. Even 62g springs can feel a bit "reluctant" if you don't lube the switches.

Reds should work fine with them, but 45g is REALLY light. Browns may feel good if they're strong enough to push past the bump. I have no idea about Blues.

Yup can verify this.

Some of my 62g clears sometimes get stuck

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 03:38:04 »

Yup can verify this.

Some of my 62g clears sometimes get stuck
So lubing is pretty much necessary for 62g clears?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 03:48:09 »

So lubing is pretty much necessary for 62g clears?

Yep. Helps them feel nicer, too. :D
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 11:26:13 »
Hm, then Clears are definitely a no-go in that case.
I suppose that if I was going to customize switches, I could just lube them with some simple stuff from a hardware store or the like. However, I heard that lubing can take away click, so I'd be cautious before I tried lubing a Blue.

No experience on 45g (or similar) Blues/Browns/Reds?
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 20:29:57 »
You'd just lube the legs where they contact the leaf inside the switch.  But the springs are cheap.  Just buy some and try them.  If you don't like them, you can sell them pretty easily.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 22:05:02 »
Stock red/blue/brown springs has an extremely difficult time getting past the bump on clear switches. Like everyone else said, it's either 62g+.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 22:20:28 »
Hm. Are 45g compatible with Blues? I would assume so, but can't be sure. I wouldn't bother trying them on Browns as they'd probably feel completely linear.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 22:23:07 »
Those springs are not 45g bottom out force, they are heavier and closer to 55g springs.  I use them partially compressed in Jailhouse Blues, and the result is still quite light.  I believe those springs to be too light for Clears.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 December 2013, 22:25:16 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 22:24:46 »
Those springs are not 45g bottom out force, they are heavier and closer to 55g springs.  I use them partially compressed in Jailhouse Blues, and the result is still quite light.  I believe those springs to be too light for Clears.

Ah thanks, I'll keep that in mind and I might try it on a switch or two if I decide to get some over X-mas.
Every post has told me that they're too light for clears, haha.  :))

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 22:25:38 »

Ah thanks, I'll keep that in mind and I might try it on a switch or two if I decide to get some over X-mas.

Have a look here, for reference
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46449.msg981041#msg981041

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 22:30:02 »

Ah, I saw that chart on Originative's page. Thanks a bunch for it.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 22:31:27 »

Haha, you just posted the same reference that I did in the 67g thread.  :)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 22:45:55 »
Well, it's The reference.  It's the best we have, hence why it's even on the Originative pages.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 03:23:02 »
Hm. Are 45g compatible with Blues? I would assume so, but can't be sure. I wouldn't bother trying them on Browns as they'd probably feel completely linear.

Actually, they should increase the relative tactility of the bump on Browns, due to the lower spring force and same leaf pressure (pressure of the contact leaves on the bump of the slider), especially with light keycaps (heavy caps tend to lessen bump feel due to momentum). May actually feel very nice. Something like a lighter ErgoClear, perhaps. I think I may try this next time I order from Originative. Hmmm... ErgoBrowns.  :cool:
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline MonoSky

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 19:15:32 »
I am getting a keyboard with MX Reds with the 45g spring from Originative mid January. If you can wait until then I can tell you how they feel! :D
By the way I like light linear switches.
|| Corsair K90 Reds || KBT Race WHITE LED with Black Switches || CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid Reds

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 21:57:18 »
I am getting a keyboard with MX Reds with the 45g spring from Originative mid January. If you can wait until then I can tell you how they feel! :D
By the way I like light linear switches.

They're nice to type on, very comfortable. However, I'd think that the effect on a linear switch would be rather simple, haha.