Author Topic: Problems with my Model M  (Read 1756 times)

Offline DarthShrine

• http://blog.darthshrine.com
Problems with my Model M
« on: Tue, 27 January 2009, 04:06:17 »
Hi everybody. I've been a lurker of this place for a while but I figured it was time to post since my Model M seems to have taken a turn for the worse.
I picked it up from a friend quite a while ago and it was working 100% fine until a couple of days ago. When I pressed the "o" key, it would spit out "ou" a few times...And then it went back to normal. I haven't really used it since then, but now it's even worse. Quite a few keys will spit out 3 characters (eg: f becomes f=\, g becomes gcl, I use Dvorak by the way). I guess kind of obviously, it happens for each of the 3 characters in the combination (c and l both produce gcl as well).
Where would this problem lie and what would be my best course of action for fixing it?

Thanks
Das Keyboard Ultimate
IBM Model M 1391401 (born in 1990)
Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Problems with my Model M
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 January 2009, 11:39:26 »
Sounds like the membrane sheet is shorting out... that one will be fun to fix...

Your best bet is probably to get another Model M, and use this one for parts.

Offline DarthShrine

• http://blog.darthshrine.com
Problems with my Model M
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 February 2009, 02:18:55 »
Well, after a bit of a struggle trying to find the right tool, I managed to take my Model M apart and it turns out that one of the ribbon cables from the membrane was slightly dislodged. I plugged it back in and it's working wonderfully (and I gave it a clean while I was at it).
Das Keyboard Ultimate
IBM Model M 1391401 (born in 1990)
Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2

Offline wellington1869

Problems with my Model M
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 February 2009, 03:15:48 »
Quote from: DarthShrine;20466
Well, after a bit of a struggle trying to find the right tool, I managed to take my Model M apart and it turns out that one of the ribbon cables from the membrane was slightly dislodged. I plugged it back in and it's working wonderfully (and I gave it a clean while I was at it).

cool! that was an easy fix :)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3