Author Topic: CM Devastator peculiar mod request  (Read 3317 times)

Offline vulture_g7

CM Devastator peculiar mod request
« on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 04:28:08 »
Hello ppl!

I've recently bought the CM Devastator kb+mouse combo for my cheap-o linux box as I needed a simple self-illuminated kb to work at night without the lights on and this combo seemed (and is) decent for the task. The problem is, I didn't realize at that time that I needed to have windows to get the lights on the keyboard - ouch! Dunno if my request is difficult, but here it is anyway:

Is there a way to have the back-light always on? I mean, I suppose I'll have to open the kb and solder/short circuit something (I can do that), but I've no idea what. I could post photos of the keyboard's innards of course. So, anyone thinks could help me on this? I'd love to use this kb on my non-windows machine for my everyday work.

Thx! :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: CM Devastator peculiar mod request
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 04:37:17 »
Seems like it is rubber dome keyboard.  The first thing you could do is get a mechanical keyboard ;)

But anyway, the specs seem to suggest pressing Scroll Lock toggles the LEDs on and off.  Does this not work?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline vulture_g7

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 07:21:18 »
I've got a mech kb for my main setup of course! :)
Yeah, the problem is that scrl lock lights the keys only under windows and nowhere else (linux, macos) and as my target machine is a linux box, I'd like to find a way to light it up permanently.

Offline DrewSmith007

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 00:28:29 »
I recently bought two of these keyboards and the LED thing was driving me nuts. So, I tore it open and took a look at the board. It's simple enough, I just soldered a jumper between the 5V from the USB line over to the 5V for the LED breakout board. This shot shows exactly what you need to do, just be careful not to solder the pads together or you'll probably fry something.

EDIT: I should add that it does work, but the LED's can't be turned off at all. It's on my GF's PC and I don't know what it does when the PC is off, probably depends on the USB port.

It's been working for all of 15 minutes, so I can't guarantee that it won't cause problems down the road, so proceed at your own risk. However, I can guarantee that you'll void any warranty you have.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 June 2014, 00:33:23 by DrewSmith007 »

Offline Gonzorifico

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 08:27:34 »

"It's been working for all of 15 minutes, so I can't guarantee that it won't cause problems down the road,"

Hey Drewsmith007 Just wondering if it's still working? I just got one of these for a hackintosh and i have the same problem as the guy above, have you had any trouble?

Thanks.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 17:06:13 »
Based on the nature of the mod, I expect that it'll keep working.

In theory it could break something because you're putting voltage where it's not expecting nay, fortunately in this case it's on the wrong side of a transistor (which acts like a diode) and it can't flow upstream and fry the controller.