Author Topic: Signature Plastics Crap Bag  (Read 7108 times)

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
Signature Plastics Crap Bag
« on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 13:13:20 »
Isn't this about the time of year they go on sale? Anyone who's picked up one before know if there's a particular link or anything that we should be checking?

Thanks!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Signature Plastics Crap Bag
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 13:23:45 »
SP says no date set but soonish
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 December 2013, 13:44:35 by SpAmRaY »

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 13:49:01 »
Not much "ish" left to "soon" if they're wanting to do it on the 2013 books. :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 13:50:55 »
Not much "ish" left to "soon" if they're wanting to do it on the 2013 books. :D

then it'll probably be in 2014!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 15:24:11 »
I'd be tempted again - about half a dozen novelty keycaps, a few others that my daughter wanted, various transparents, just about made it worth it, considering the silly shipping to Australia.

But not this year please - I have overspent AGAIN!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 16:18:08 »
oh wow! I just looked up what you might get in one of these. I am so in.
http://imgur.com/a/cMFFM#46
those black and white ones are SO sexy.
"Obviously, windows are central to Windows. But what is a window?"

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 16:21:58 »

eta: oh snap. I think that guy is still around. I wonder if he would sell me those caps. Would it be rude to ask? They seem like doubleshot mistakes, would the stems even be okay?

so muck questions, so much lust.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 December 2013, 16:27:19 by kolonelkadat »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 16:28:44 »

eta: oh snap. I think that guy is still around. I wonder if he would sell me those caps. Would it be rude to ask? They seem like doubleshot mistakes, would the stems even be okay?

PM him and ask!

Most of the Crap Bag is crap, hence the name.  Occasionally a gem shines through - last time most (not all) bags contained a Hapster.  I was fortunate enough to find two Hapsters in mine.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 16:30:23 »

PM him and ask!

Most of the Crap Bag is crap, hence the name.  Occasionally a gem shines through - last time most (not all) bags contained a Hapster.  I was fortunate enough to find two Hapsters in mine.

Not mine :(

I had to buy a Poker 2 just to get a hapster :P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 16:31:59 »

PM him and ask!

Yikes!

I have 4 Hapsters all together now, and my daughter has 2, thanks to Bunny :)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 16:34:14 »

PM him and ask!

Yikes!

I have 4 Hapsters all together now, and my daughter has 2, thanks to Bunny :)

Yeah I never got my Miami hapster either now that I think about it....

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 17:05:32 »
I only have 3 hapsters, two miami one BoY. Both from john. My previous crap bag had one or two interesting pieces, the rest were crap and some I had no idea why they were even made to begin with

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 17:15:03 »
This is only a proof of the weak quality assurance system SP has.

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 17:19:23 »
How is that? they clearly identified these as trash and removed them from whatever they were normally packaged with. I'd say its a sign of good QA

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 17:24:53 »
I really like seeing the crazy errors like the pic kolonel linked to. It's like amazing abstract art.
I'm still hoping I can negotiate getting GMK's errors and overruns next year. Imagine getting some mad looking stuff in Cherry :O

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 17:27:08 »
How is that? they clearly identified these as trash and removed them from whatever they were normally packaged with. I'd say its a sign of good QA

Precisely: That is quality control, not quality assurance. The last is prevention, the former inspection.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 December 2013, 17:29:17 by ideus »

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 17:28:14 »
I really like seeing the crazy errors like the pic kolonel linked to. It's like amazing abstract art.
I'm still hoping I can negotiate getting GMK's errors and overruns next year. Imagine getting some mad looking stuff in Cherry :O

Yeah, I would be interested in a GMK crap bag as well.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 18:29:35 »

Yeah, I would be interested in a GMK crap bag as well.

+1

MOQ 400?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 04:29:21 »
I'd love one! What do these normally go for price-wise?
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 06:11:17 »
25$ plus shipping
shippings like 15 bucks stateside, 60 bucks outside USA

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 06:30:06 »
25$ plus shipping

The last round was $35 plus shipping

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 14:20:43 »
25$ plus shipping

Hopefully they'll be a bit lower this time around. Seems to go up $5 every time.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 14:54:06 »
25$ plus shipping

Hopefully they'll be a bit lower this time around. Seems to go up $5 every time.

So probably $40 this time :o

SP making $$$$ off their garbage  :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 15:19:46 »
25$ plus shipping

They have discovered that people (GHers in particular) will buy them.

I wonder if they will keep bumping the price a little each year until they stop selling.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 15:20:33 »
this year no one buy a crap bag and wait for next year when they make their crap super cheap and then we buy

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 15:47:06 »
this year no one buy a crap bag and wait for next year when they make their crap super cheap and then we buy

No-one buys this year, they will not do it next year.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 16:59:38 »
I bought last round.  It was fun selling them off, but I don't think it would be worth the hassle this time around.   I am only keeping about three of the caps.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 17:01:35 »
I bought last round.  It was fun selling them off, but I don't think it would be worth the hassle this time around.   I am only keeping about three of the caps.

0.3% - not a very good hit rate.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 03:51:28 »
Hmmm... 60 dollars shipping is quite a lot (almost twice the product price), but I still think I'll get one. At least I won't have to pay a massive customs duty.

Do they do it by number of caps or by weight? Does the shipping stay under double if I order 2?
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 09:27:49 »
I know the key caps I received previously were nice to have if anything. I ended up with a ton of SA profile. I also have lots of MX stems I can salvage now for other projects.

Offline VolantPhalanx

• Cult Classic
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 18:39:04 »
Missed out on it during years past, definitely interested to give it a go this time around if not only for the Frankenstein collection of caps you are certain to end up with.
Rick Owens and Happy Hackers

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 18:51:48 »
25$ plus shipping

I wonder if they will keep bumping the price a little each year until they stop selling.

Excellent way for SP to profit on its trash. This can only be seen at GH.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 20:42:09 »
25$ plus shipping

They can't melt them down again - the doubleshot would contaminate the colour.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 20:56:59 »
25$ plus shipping

Scrap cost was already included in the price for good parts. Customers already paid for it. Now they are profiting on it, one more time. They should gift it.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 21:05:52 »
25$ plus shipping

Scrap cost was already included in the price for good parts. Customers already paid for it. Now they are profiting on it, one more time. They should gift it.

Group buy's leaders may ask SP to include the defective parts out of the production runs of the GB in the same lot. Thus, GB's customers can get some scrapped caps included with their orders.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 22:02:17 »
25$ plus shipping

Group buy's leaders may ask SP to include the defective parts out of the production runs of the GB in the same lot. Thus, GB's customers can get some scrapped caps included with their orders.

Most would probably just throw them away.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 22:05:21 »
25$ plus shipping

or they could sell them as their own crap bags and donate that to GH

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 22:10:49 »
25$ plus shipping

If you mean the GB organisers could collect all the mistakes and sell them as crap bags to benefit GH - yes, that would be nice.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 22:23:28 »
25$ plus shipping

If you mean the GB organisers could collect all the mistakes and sell them as crap bags to benefit GH - yes, that would be nice.

But nobody would buy the bags of crap if they knew they were just crap....the whole experience in buying a crap bag is the hope there will be something worthwhile in there....

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 22:28:34 »
25$ plus shipping

But nobody would buy the bags of crap if they knew they were just crap....the whole experience in buying a crap bag is the hope there will be something worthwhile in there....

Don't loss the point. The point is GB's orders already paid for the good and the bad parts. Why now SP is making additional money with the scrap if organizers can request it and split in equal parts in the orders?

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 22:35:37 »
because 99% of people dont want them. its just idots like me who think that some of the mistakes look awesome.

secondarily it lets people like oh my whatever key is messed up i need a good one to replace it. **** that noise.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 22:59:40 »
25$ plus shipping

Don't loss the point. The point is GB's orders already paid for the good and the bad parts. Why now SP is making additional money with the scrap if organizers can request it and split in equal parts in the orders?

hell you can probally make a bunch of full sets with messed up legends for people who don't care and only want the colors

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 00:17:44 »
25$ plus shipping

This is true, and, to be brutally honest, the main reason why I bought one, and suffered the hideous postage cost to Australia.

I was really hoping to get a Hapster.  I got two :)

There's probably half a dozen other novelty keycaps that are of any worth, the rest is mostly BoW or WoB DS - crap.  A couple of dozen manufacturing errors, and a handful of various colour miscellaneous keycaps.

Amusement value, more than anything.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 06:42:32 »

Group buy organizers already have enough work involved I don't think they want to have to sort the bad caps from the good caps and then split them up. And I'm not so sure on the logic that somehow the group buys pay for the error caps, if SP screws up they have to eat the cost so they are free do with those caps as they see fit.

hell you can probally make a bunch of full sets with messed up legends for people who don't care and only want the colors

full sets are very hard to make from crap bags, trust me

Offline kektr0city

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 08:10:03 »

Group buy organizers already have enough work involved I don't think they want to have to sort the bad caps from the good caps and then split them up. And I'm not so sure on the logic that somehow the group buys pay for the error caps, if SP screws up they have to eat the cost so they are free do with those caps as they see fit.

My guess is their pricing model includes some margin for error type calculations so as to cover the cost of mulligan caps.  As with any production or manufacturing business, the company has to know that their molds / machinery are not 100% perfect.  That's why tolerances exist.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 08:31:36 »
25$ plus shipping

This is true, and, to be brutally honest, the main reason why I bought one, and suffered the hideous postage cost to Australia.

There's probably half a dozen other novelty keycaps that are of any worth, the rest is mostly BoW or WoB DS - crap.  A couple of dozen manufacturing errors, and a handful of various colour miscellaneous keycaps.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 00:34:00 »
25$ plus shipping

Show Image

This thread - not even close.

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 14:06:14 »
Yeesh, this is getting much more ish and much less soon.  :p

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 15:10:11 »
Just wait

it'll pop up when you least expect it

and make sure you check weekly
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 15:33:05 »
Or subscribe to their newsletter?