Author Topic: Looking for a keyboard to replace my Filco Majetouch 2  (Read 2474 times)

Offline varzaman

Looking for a keyboard to replace my Filco Majetouch 2
« on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 14:37:10 »
Hey guys, so I'm looking for a keyboard to replace my Filco Majetouch 2.

Ridiculous I know, but there are a few things I wished the Filco had enough that I will switch it out.

I really want a detachable USB cable and media keys.

Don't tell me about autohotkey, I already know. I have some issues with it with some games, plus I like having dedicated media keys anyways.

So, what I ask you geekhack is what are some other keyboards that have the same build quality as the filco so I don't feel like I'm downgrading.

I've been looking at WASD and Cooler Master. With Cooler Master I bought the switch tester, so I have $15 to spend towards their keyboards.

Also, I have PBT keycaps on my filco right now........and it turns out I like ABS better. So, yea :P

2 heresies in one go. Giving up my Filco, and ABS > PBT.  :p

And one more thing. Are there still no tenkeyless mechanical keyboards with some macro keys?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Looking for a keyboard to replace my Filco Majetouch 2
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 14:42:51 »

Ridiculous I know, but there are a few things I wished the Filco had enough that I will switch it out.

Don't tell me about autohotkey, I already know. I have some issues with it with some games, plus I like having dedicated media keys anyways.

So, what I ask you geekhack is what are some other keyboards that have the same build quality as the filco so I don't feel like I'm downgrading.

I've been looking at WASD and Cooler Master. With Cooler Master I bought the switch tester, so I have $15 to spend towards their keyboards.

Also, I have PBT keycaps on my filco right now........and it turns out I like ABS better. So, yea :P

And one more thing. Are there still no tenkeyless mechanical keyboards with some macro keys?

Welcome to Geekhack!

Detachable USB cable and media keys, sounds like you want a CM Storm QuickFire Rapid or Stealth. The build quality is not quite the same as Filco, but close. It uses a single-sided PCB.

ABS keycaps are great, but I would recommend a new or 'vintage' set from GMK/Cherry.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 14:48:09 »
I agree 100% with JD.

My QFR is heavier than either of my Filcos, too.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 14:54:03 »
Yeah pretty much what they said, QuickFire Rapid or Stealth.  Or if you want to be "different" then you can go for WASD V2 87 Key version but it cost a bit more.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 15:03:22 »
Taking Abs over Pbt and a Quickfire over a Filco.. what have a strolled in on! BLASPHEMY!

Ps. I would go for a WASD.
I hate everything.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 15:09:48 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Another vote for QFR or QFS (I have one of each - great keyboards).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 16:24:17 »

If you like features, you might actually like the Shine 3 more than a QFR, and seeing how you had the money to buy a QFR, it probably shouldn't be a money issue.
I had a Stealth, and it was a quality board. It missed the rubberized feet that I prefer on the TK, but otherwise it's quite a good keyboard. The Shine is really a lightshow, and you may or may not like it. It's very well built, though, with a dual-PCB and removable cable. Has some of the nicer ABS caps, given the UV coating.

Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline varzaman

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 17:50:34 »
Don't ducky's have cherry stabilizers?

One thing I forgot to mention is I pretty much only want costar stabilizers. Just feel so much better.

The only difference between the Quick Fire Rapid and the Stealth is just the keycaps right?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 17:56:17 »

One thing I forgot to mention is I pretty much only want costar stabilizers. Just feel so much better.

The only difference between the Quick Fire Rapid and the Stealth is just the keycaps right?

Yes and yes.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 18:22:36 »

Duckys have 'improved' Cherry stabilizers, which pretty much feel like Costar.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 20:01:02 »
Tenkeyless with macro keys? I think there is only one the Azio Levetron, but it's super hideous. There was one teased at Computex from Genius but I have not seen anything more about it. Asides from the color I thought it looked pretty nice...

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 20:08:43 »
Tenkeyless with macro keys? I think there is only one the Azio Levetron, but it's super hideous. There was one teased at Computex from Genius but I have not seen anything more about it. Asides from the color I thought it looked pretty nice...
Show Image

That looks like a GON.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline varzaman

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 21:41:17 »
Show Image

Interesting....hmm......can anyone else chime in on this? Is this pretty much true?
(not that I don't trust you. Just like having that peace of mind ya know?)
Show Image

Yea, I guess that dream board doesn't exist yet :P

I think I'll just go with the CM quick fire. Its just a lot cheaper than the others, I won't feel bad upgrading my keyboard again later on when those awesome rbg switches come out :P

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 21:53:41 »
Are you selling your filco/pbts?
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 21:59:13 »
There are always korean customs

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline varzaman

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 22:00:37 »
Not sure about the Filco yet, but the PBTs, possibly.

They are blank whites I bought 2 years ago from Qtan.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 22:01:26 »
Not my Filco(my sister is going to use it), but the PBTs, possibly.

How do those white caps look like after 2 years?

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline varzaman

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 22:02:58 »
Not my Filco(my sister is going to use it), but the PBTs, possibly.

How do those white caps look like after 2 years?
Like they are brand new.

Honestly, the white is still 100% white. Qtan has really good stuff!

It is a shame I prefer the inferior ABS haha.

ABS feels.....lighter? Hollower?  I like that feeling more. Typing on these PBTs feel like there is some weight to them.