Author Topic: No such thing as a free lunch...  (Read 11842 times)

Offline phoenix1234

Re: No such thing as a free lunch...
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 17:58:26 »
The other kids are paying for it.  With money.
Also, when interpreting that quote, please keep in mind the difference between positive and negative rights.  They have vastly different implications.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_and_positive_rights

Thank for your explanation. However, if it is the case, I think it comes to another point, where is the money for other kids comes from? From their parents, right? So I think my point is still legit because "low-income children do some manual labor in exchange for their subsidized meals" while the other kids don't "do some manual labor in exchange for their subsidized meals"
Correct me if I'm wrong.
I like linear switches

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 18:00:40 »
"Subsidized" means that the school pays for the lunches out of its own budget, so "taxpayers" ultimately provide the money.  Parents of non-low-income students pay for their kids' meals directly.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 18:03:29 »
The other kids are paying for it.  With money.
Also, when interpreting that quote, please keep in mind the difference between positive and negative rights.  They have vastly different implications.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_and_positive_rights

Thank for your explanation. However, if it is the case, I think it comes to another point, where is the money for other kids comes from? From their parents, right? So I think my point is still legit because "low-income children do some manual labor in exchange for their subsidized meals" while the other kids don't "do some manual labor in exchange for their subsidized meals"
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Absolutely, the other kids parents are paying for their meals.  I touched on that in an earlier response, that this solution doesn't really make things even for the kids.  It just seems even in the eyes of the administration, because now those kids are "earning" their lunch.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending this decision.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 18:38:27 »
the good thing is all the rich people don't care about going against this because it doesn't affect their kids

while the poor people without much pushing power have to work for their food which is just

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 18:40:56 »
Rep. Jack Kingston (R-Ga.)
you see that R next to Ga? Stands for republican. Some (not all) republicans believe that if you aren't rich, you aren't worthy.
it all boils down to politics, not this guy actually giving a **** about what kids learn.

"Subsidized" means that the school pays for the lunches out of its own budget, so "taxpayers" ultimately provide the money.  Parents of non-low-income students pay for their kids' meals directly.

Absolutely, the other kids parents are paying for their meals.  I touched on that in an earlier response, that this solution doesn't really make things even for the kids.  It just seems even in the eyes of the administration, because now those kids are "earning" their lunch.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending this decision.

Thanks, I see.
 ;D

When I read the post, I understand the intention of the guy but I just thought for low-income children, their life and their family may have enough troubles so they already learn a lesson that money must be earned, they should take nothing for granted.
So when children come to school, it is supposed to be a place for them feel equal and happy with their friends and forget about their hard life.
I like linear switches

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 18:43:35 »
you see that R next to Ga? Stands for republican. Some (not all) republicans believe that if you aren't rich, you aren't worthy.
it all boils down to politics, not this guy actually giving a **** about what kids learn.

Thanks, I see.
 ;D

When I read the post, I understand the intention of the guy but I just thought for low-income children, their life and their family may have enough troubles so they already learn a lesson that money must be earned, they should take nothing for granted.
So when children come to school, it is supposed to be a place for them feel equal and happy with their friends and forget about their hard life.

You obviously don't go to an american high school

at my school there are these ******* kids who cut in the line then punch in their subsidized code and get their lunch. You can tell its subsidized because instead of a regular box they get a crappy box that their food goes into.

theyre so ungrateful for their free **** it pisses me off every time

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 18:44:23 »
When i saw the title I thought Spam had been scammed into buying a timeshare :))
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 19:19:15 »

Thanks, I see.
 ;D

at my school there are these ******* kids who cut in the line then punch in their subsidized code and get their lunch. You can tell its subsidized because instead of a regular box they get a crappy box that their food goes into.

Ungrateful?  Are they supposed to ingratiate themselves for your enjoyment, you spoiled brat?

It's food; hell, it's probably the only guaranteed meal most on that kind of a program get a day and somehow that offends you.  Maybe instead of just assuming they're easy living on government hand outs, you take a step back and go "gee, I wonder how I get most of my necessary things provided for me with hardly a blink in its direction"?

Of all the pathetic, ill-thoughtout things you've said, that has to take the cake for the stupidest.  And the most ignorant.  And most obnoxious.  And let's throw entitled on the pile, too.

Is this actually you here?

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 19:22:51 »

Thanks, I see.
 ;D

Ungrateful?  Are they supposed to ingratiate themselves for your enjoyment, you spoiled brat?

It's food; hell, it's probably the only guaranteed meal most on that kind of a program get a day and somehow that offends you.  Maybe instead of just assuming they're easy living on government hand outs, you take a step back and go "gee, I wonder how I get most of my necessary things provided for me with hardly a blink in its direction"?

Of all the pathetic, ill-thoughtout things you've said, that has to take the cake for the stupidest.  And the most ignorant.  And most obnoxious.  And let's throw entitled on the pile, too.

Show Image

they don't even have the respect to go ****ing wait at the back of the line

that's what pisses me off

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 19:25:48 »
and what does being an ******* have to do with the article? being an ******* isn't exclusive to people that aren't rich you imbecile.

you +1 in your original reply, as in agreeing with it. to single out a group simply because they're poor.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 19:26:27 »

Thanks, I see.
 ;D

Show Image

they don't even have the respect to go ****ing wait at the back of the line

that's what pisses me off

So poor kids should always go last?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 19:26:36 »
God, how dare they.

You're lying when you say you're 16, aren't you?  Cause you damn sure act more like you're 4 and you see someone else get things you want and lash out in some kind of misguided jealousy.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 19:30:18 »
they shouldn't go last

they should wait at the back of the ****ing line then move forward like everybody else

them getting their food for free makes it even worse because instead of thinking about the people who pay more taxes so they can get their subsidized food they just cut in front of them

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 19:32:18 »
they shouldn't go last

they should wait at the back of the ****ing line then move forward like everybody else

them getting their food for free makes it even worse because instead of thinking about the people who pay more taxes so they can get their subsidized food they just cut in front of them

what the **** do you know about taxes?

you're a 16 year old troll that has mommy and daddy to fall back on. you're obviously living a pretty good life that you can pick up a keyboard hobby.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 19:34:01 »
they shouldn't go last

So you hate people who cut in line?  Cool, me too!  Now if only you could communicate effectively...

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 19:36:02 »
they shouldn't go last

you're a 16 year old troll that has mommy and daddy to fall back on. you're obviously living a pretty good life that you can pick up a keyboard hobby.

you know nothing about me damilk

I've done quite a lot of research on politics for my debate work. I've read quite a lot of articles about governement and perception and many talked about how taxes were affecting the budget etc

also every penny of my keyboard hobby has been paid by myself. I initially got my $60 for my first board by working odd jobs. I've been able to afford every other board from then on by selling **** in classifieds.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 19:37:11 »
they shouldn't go last

So you hate people who cut in line?  Cool, me too!  Now if only you could communicate effectively...

thats what i was saying the whole ****ing time. You just distorted my words and didn't listen to them propperly. there is a lack of effective communication because you aren't listening

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 19:40:36 »
they shouldn't go last

I've done quite a lot of research on politics for my debate work. I've read quite a lot of articles about governement and perception and many talked about how taxes were affecting the budget etc

also every penny of my keyboard hobby has been paid by myself. I initially got my $60 for my first board by working odd jobs. I've been able to afford every other board from then on by selling **** in classifieds.

And you really think that none of the fact that you're able to buy all these keyboards and even get started selling things online to fund your hobby has to do with starting out in a privileged situation?  Not that you need to feel bad or give away all your money, but seriously, show some ****ing gratitude.  Methinks it's you who needs to learn some respect.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 19:40:49 »
they shouldn't go last

we aren't buddies. you can drop this damilk ****. it's neither funny or original.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 19:41:49 »
they shouldn't go last

I'm going one step further. 

What the **** do you know about life?

You're a child that acts like losing a spot in line is some kind of egregious offense.  How effortless is your life where something like that is even a blip on your radar?

they shouldn't go last

thats what i was saying the whole ****ing time. You just distorted my words and didn't listen to them propperly. there is a lack of effective communication because you aren't listening

they shouldn't go last

Or it could be you're **** at this debate thing you claim you do.  I've yet to hear one salient point to why you think children from poor families should have to do menial labor to earn a meal. 

Let's hear your thoughts on some of these "articles about governement(hic) and perception and many talked about how taxes were affecting the budget etc"

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 19:48:36 »
they shouldn't go last

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/18/jack-kingston-school-lunch_n_4467711.html

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Jack Kingston (R-Ga.) wants kids to learn early in life that there's no such thing as a free lunch. To make sure they absorb that lesson, he's proposing that low-income children do some manual labor in exchange for their subsidized meals.

The idea was to instill work ethic, so thoughts??

+1

i really hate it when kids who get free lunches CUT IN THE ****ING LINE

you got that food for free, go ****ing wait in the back of the line like everyone else

Huh.  Well I'm sorry, I must be confused by the continual mention of "kids who get free lunches" right next to the complaining about "cutting in line".  My bad.

Gosh, I wish I could just learn how to listen.  Seriously, my 2 year old niece makes better arguments than you.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 20:02:36 »
they shouldn't go last

You're a child that acts like losing a spot in line is some kind of egregious offense.  How effortless is your life where something like that is even a blip on your radar?

they shouldn't go last

they shouldn't go last

Or it could be you're **** at this debate thing you claim you do.  I've yet to hear one salient point to why you think children from poor families should have to do menial labor to earn a meal. 

Let's hear your thoughts on some of these "articles about governement(hic) and perception and many talked about how taxes were affecting the budget etc"

Compare the middle class well of family to the lower class family. To the middle class, they pay their taxes and pay for all their belongings.
Then look at the lower class. There are many reasons why they are there, but once they are there, they pay less taxes and don't pay for everything they own (ie lunch, food stamps, wellfare, etc). While some are there because they got screwed over, a vast majority are lazy and not motivated to get a job. If one is truely motivated, they can achive many goals, and getting an average paying job is pretty low on the list of lofty goals.

now to be fair to those who work for their food, those who get their food for free should also work. Food doesn't grow on trees, if even the laborers of america are lazy and slack off and think their gardening job is guarenteed, america will go to ****.

another reason why i'm pissed off about inequality at schools is one time I had to pick up trash for littering one piece of trash. My punishment for not putting one piece of trash was clean up every bit of trash in the school. Now I was a fast worker and filled up my trash bag with trash in 10 minutes. Why? Because the ground was ****ing full of trash. some stupid kid even left their art project on the ground. Now if the school truely was just they would make EVERYONE who littered pick up the trash. Using a few people as scapegoats to pick up every one else's trash is just unfair. Just like how a group of *******s cutting in line screws up everyone else's time. Its tragedy of the commons.

ultimately to make it fair, those who get free **** should earn it. Those who get unenployment money should show they're trying to get a job. Those with disabilites should show that they are trying to improve their injuries. those who get food stamps should show they are trying to go higher in the social ladder and earn more money to support themselves by themselves. And the best way to do this is start with the youth. Even a little work for food is crucial in making a sustainable and reliable workforce for america

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 20:04:06 »
food does grow on trees....

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 20:05:08 »
food does grow on trees....

its an analogy

processed pizza's don't grow on trees tho and that's what the school sells us

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 20:06:35 »
Those with disabilites should show that they are trying to improve their injuries.

LMFAO

brb going to go tell everybody to man the **** up because pacifist said so.

jesus christ, do you work for fox news?
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 December 2013, 20:08:17 by demik »

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 20:07:38 »
Those with disabilites should show that they are trying to improve their injuries.

LMFAO

instead of watching tv each day try to go outside and walk and get better

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 20:09:20 »

LMFAO

yes, because all disabilities are bettered by going outside for a walk. god, you're like.. a genius man.

Offline Jack

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 20:10:30 »
Still at this point no one has explained what the **** cutting in line has to do with this issue!

Sure maybe some people who get free or reduced-price lunches cut, just like some people who pay -- there are simply some *******s who cut in line regardless of that. Would anyone like to tell about how cutting in line is relevant to this ridiculous idea the representative has?

No? There's nothing to say?

That's what I thought.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 20:11:09 »
One thing I noticed a few of you have said about the people who get free/discounted lunches that strikes me as odd, the fact it would seem that perhaps now depending on if you pay or get free lunch you get something different.

I realize it's been a long time since I was in school but regardless of whether you paid, got free or discounted lunch everyone ate the same exact thing.

Also when I was in school nobody wanted to get 'free' lunch and if you did you didn't tell anyone else.

But thinking back I know there were kids who wanted extra food and they would help clean up etc in order to get it because they couldn't pay, granted this was over 15yrs ago, but they had an understanding with the lunch ladies, they helped clean up the cafeteria and in return got extra milk or pudding or extra piece of fried chicken or even water melon whatever they wanted.

Also my daughter is in kindergarten and they get a bag of 'food' sent home every weekend because some kids don't have food to eat at home, but they send them home with everyone.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 December 2013, 20:13:43 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 20:13:02 »

LMFAO

yes, because all disabilities are bettered by going outside for a walk. god, you're like.. a genius man.

its an example. If you 100% physically can't move and/or can't improve your condition, sure keep on taking the help from the government.
But even if there's a chance that you can get better and stop being lazy, then do all you can to make that happen. stop being lazy and work through the pain and rise to your full potential

Offline Jack

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 20:14:00 »
Yeah, I was on free/reduced price lunch and they had the exact same food. I never saw any such thing like volunteering to work with the lunch ladies for extra food, but that seems like it would be different from being made to do it. If you want to do it of your own free will that's fine, that has some pride to it. But doing work because your family is too poor to afford the lunch price? Noooooo, that's not stigmatizing at ALL.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 20:15:17 »
stop generalizing and maybe, just maybe, your points will make sense.

but, you're 16. when i was 16 i also thought i knew everything.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 December 2013, 20:17:50 by demik »

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 20:15:26 »
The problem is pacifist, your views are too large. You seem to be one of those people who think all poor people are poor on purpose. That all people on benefits are benefit thieves. They are not.

I
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 20:18:40 »
On the disability thing, which is going off topic, most people I've seen around me who really need it can't get it because of a technicality.

One example a co-workers 26yr old daughter has some undiagnosed rare blood disorder that has left her blind and in constant pain with the only course of treatment being experimental things they have tried that have not really helped, but she can not currently get on disability (she is on a waiting list but was told it could be 1-2 yrs) because she is married and her husband works, she has a college degree and is white, and no i'm not being racist, this is basically what the case worker has told my co-worker 'unofficially'.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 20:24:08 »
Not all try to take advantage of the government.

But if one truely is motivated and wants to achieve better, they will work their ass off to do so. They will stop begging and instead work towards their goals. However, many are just plain lazy and won't work for what they deserve.

America was built by hard working people, and everyone with any bit of worth worked for it. Many of those at the bottom don't care and don't work. For example, in downtown, there are people who beg outside of bars asking for money. Its pretty obvious why they want the money. One time my mom gave them a dollar, and what do you know, they walked right into the bar.

It may because I am a middle class asian american and I haven't truely been dirt poor yet, but i've seen poor people. I've done volunteered at charity events and seen the poor people try to squeze out everything they can. For example, I was volunteering at a marathon giving food and water to the people who finished the race. There were multiple people who came to watch come over and ask for some of the gatorade we were handing out to the runners. Another time during lunch at a practice for a math competition, we were eating pizza outside and some people came over and tried to take some of our pizza.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 21:31:23 »
Back to the main topic, I actually think all students should be involved in the maintenance of the school.  It would maybe instill in them more respect for the institution and manual labor.  Don't make it a thing just for those getting subsidized lunches.

But if one truely is motivated and wants to achieve better, they will work their ass off to do so. They will stop begging and instead work towards their goals. However, many are just plain lazy and won't work for what they deserve.

America was built by hard working people, and everyone with any bit of worth worked for it. Many of those at the bottom don't care and don't work. For example, in downtown, there are people who beg outside of bars asking for money. Its pretty obvious why they want the money. One time my mom gave them a dollar, and what do you know, they walked right into the bar.

It may because I am a middle class asian american and I haven't truely been dirt poor yet, but i've seen poor people. I've done volunteered at charity events and seen the poor people try to squeze out everything they can. For example, I was volunteering at a marathon giving food and water to the people who finished the race. There were multiple people who came to watch come over and ask for some of the gatorade we were handing out to the runners. Another time during lunch at a practice for a math competition, we were eating pizza outside and some people came over and tried to take some of our pizza.

This screams of ignorance.  The middle class is shrinking and the poor and working poor are an ever growing demographic.  Do some research on the cycle of poverty and issues like cultural and social capital and you'll also see that many of these poor people remain poor not because they're not hard working, but because they don't have the right connections, they don't have the right education, and they have cultural values and perceptions that clash with those in power.

Poverty is not something that is easy to escape.  There are many people who are working two and three minimum wage jobs just to exist.  Would you call them lazy?  I wouldn't, but they'll never make enough to get out of poverty and, for most of them, their kids won't either, nor will they have the social supports that help keep them accountable to do their school work and to learn how to maneuver in society.  There are also people who have discovered that not working actually makes them more money than working their ass off, that they can only subsist because they're on welfare and not working a job or jobs.  Don't think that poor people or people subsisting on welfare are doing so because they want to be non-contributing members of society, but do so because they have no other choice.

As for your examples of poor people being mooches, guess what, I grew up in Orange County California, an area known for dramatic divides in wealth, with the ultra-wealthy alongside the ultrapoor.  And you know what?  The wealthy can be just as big of mooches as the poor, sometimes even worse.  The difference is that they can actually afford the things they're mooching, but those poor, often people that they employ at sub-living wages, can't.

Get some perspective, do some real sociological research, and then maybe you'll have some compassion for these people and understand that they often have no choice in their circumstances.  If you really want to get pissed off about welfare, direct your anger the right direction.  Look at the welfare that the poor receive, then look at the companies that employ them, look at how they pay sub living wages, how they do tricks with hours so they don't have to pay for healthcare or other benefits, how they abuse government programs to pass off business costs to taxpayers, how they constantly fight to erode workers rights, and look at the amount of corporate welfare they receive, some of them through accounting tricks like onshoring losses and offshoring profits.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 December 2013, 21:33:56 by nubbinator »

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 21:44:01 »
Back to the main topic, I actually think all students should be involved in the maintenance of the school.  It would maybe instill in them more respect for the institution and manual labor.  Don't make it a thing just for those getting subsidized lunches.

This screams of ignorance.  The middle class is shrinking and the poor and working poor are an ever growing demographic.  Do some research on the cycle of poverty and issues like cultural and social capital and you'll also see that many of these poor people remain poor not because they're not hard working, but because they don't have the right connections, they don't have the right education, and they have cultural values and perceptions that clash with those in power.

Poverty is not something that is easy to escape.  There are many people who are working two and three minimum wage jobs just to exist.  Would you call them lazy?  I wouldn't, but they'll never make enough to get out of poverty and, for most of them, their kids won't either, nor will they have the social supports that help keep them accountable to do their school work and to learn how to maneuver in society.  There are also people who have discovered that not working actually makes them more money than working their ass off, that they can only subsist because they're on welfare and not working a job or jobs.  Don't think that poor people or people subsisting on welfare are doing so because they want to be non-contributing members of society, but do so because they have no other choice.

As for your examples of poor people being mooches, guess what, I grew up in Orange County California, an area known for dramatic divides in wealth, with the ultra-wealthy alongside the ultrapoor.  And you know what?  The wealthy can be just as big of mooches as the poor, sometimes even worse.  The difference is that they can actually afford the things they're mooching, but those poor, often people that they employ at sub-living wages, can't.

Get some perspective, do some real sociological research, and then maybe you'll have some compassion for these people and understand that they often have no choice in their circumstances.  If you really want to get pissed off about welfare, direct your anger the right direction.  Look at the welfare that the poor receive, then look at the companies that employ them, look at how they pay sub living wages, how they do tricks with hours so they don't have to pay for healthcare or other benefits, how they abuse government programs to pass off business costs to taxpayers, how they constantly fight to erode workers rights, and look at the amount of corporate welfare they receive, some of them through accounting tricks like onshoring losses and offshoring profits.

While I do think he should do more research, I think you basically described what he was trying to put across before. At his school, kids who clearly can afford lunch are mooching off taxes and overall behaving in a rude manner, and he's mad.

I do think the economy and labor is in a very poor state at the moment, and that needs to change. Before that happens, though, we do need to do some things about people below our country's poverty line that doesn't involve giving people who apply free money to keep them above water. I feel like this is calling for a higher minimum wage and a minimum amount of working hours, but there's probably some sort of barrier from keeping that from happening and/or I'm just really stupid. My guess is that larger corporations would lobby the **** out of congressmen and women to keep that from passing, because it means less profits and no more 3-gazillion-to-1 CEO pay:Average grunt pay average that corporations have worked so hard to achieve.

I find it really sad that nobody is doing anything to stabilize our economy besides injecting money and a few government-run low-paying jobs and instead they're focusing on making sure we lose our constitutional rights.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 22:01:10 »

Guess that money TJ gave you with when you wanted a QazPad and your free Yihua station mean nothing to you huh? I guess being a self made entrepreneur means you get to conveniently forget stuff. And you don't have to be grateful.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 December 2013, 22:04:54 by CPTBadAss »

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 22:11:04 »
they shouldn't go last

they shouldn't go last

they shouldn't go last

Compare the middle class well of family to the lower class family. To the middle class, they pay their taxes and pay for all their belongings.
Then look at the lower class. There are many reasons why they are there, but once they are there, they pay less taxes and don't pay for everything they own (ie lunch, food stamps, wellfare, etc). While some are there because they got screwed over, a vast majority are lazy and not motivated to get a job. If one is truely motivated, they can achive many goals, and getting an average paying job is pretty low on the list of lofty goals.

now to be fair to those who work for their food, those who get their food for free should also work. Food doesn't grow on trees, if even the laborers of america are lazy and slack off and think their gardening job is guarenteed, america will go to ****.

another reason why i'm pissed off about inequality at schools is one time I had to pick up trash for littering one piece of trash. My punishment for not putting one piece of trash was clean up every bit of trash in the school. Now I was a fast worker and filled up my trash bag with trash in 10 minutes. Why? Because the ground was ****ing full of trash. some stupid kid even left their art project on the ground. Now if the school truely was just they would make EVERYONE who littered pick up the trash. Using a few people as scapegoats to pick up every one else's trash is just unfair. Just like how a group of *******s cutting in line screws up everyone else's time. Its tragedy of the commons.

ultimately to make it fair, those who get free **** should earn it. Those who get unenployment money should show they're trying to get a job. Those with disabilites should show that they are trying to improve their injuries. those who get food stamps should show they are trying to go higher in the social ladder and earn more money to support themselves by themselves. And the best way to do this is start with the youth. Even a little work for food is crucial in making a sustainable and reliable workforce for america

I agree 100%!  You're a smart young man.  Lazy people should work.

I lost both my legs fighting for you in Afghanistan.  I came back and my VA disability claim was delayed for five years.  Which isn't bad, I've heard of seven and eight year claims.  Anywho, I finally got some prosthetic legs, but they don't fit, and cause me major blisters and sores on my stumps.  Those legs got recalled because some malcontent filed a class action lawsuit.  I don't understand those people.  I turned down the check they sent me.  If I didn't earn the money, I'm sure not going to take it for having no legs, and getting defective prosthetics.  Think of that medical supply company's profit margin.  It must have really been shrunk somewhat from that lawsuit. 

Well, anyha, now I have no legs, so I pull myself over the ground on a little sled/ wagon.  Because I have no legs, I couldn't get a job, and my credit went bad.  (I'm embarrassed to say missed a few electric bills.)  Well, now I can't get a regular middle class job because my credit is bad, and no big corporation will even interview me.  Plus, I have no legs.  But I'm not lazy.  So a friend got me a minimum wage job with Walmart as a sewage cleaner.  They like me at work because I can get into really small sewer pipes and root them out.  I dunno if you've ever been inside a Walmart sewer pipe, but they can get really backed up with compacted fecal matter, so I clean that out, by hand.

Anyhee, I'm not in a union, because that's Marxist, so I make sub-union wages.  Also I have no vacation days, sick days, or health care.  Walmart makes us clock in for 40 hours, but only pays us for 30.  Which is cool, because the Walton family that owns Walmart are not rich enough yet.  I'm helping them get over that $50 billion hump.  And I am proud to say that I pay taxes every paycheck.  In fact, I pay more taxes as a percentage of my total income, I pay about 34%, than either Mitt Romney (15%) who is a rich man, or Warren Buffett (18%) who is the richest man in the world.

My daughter went blind at birth from medical malpractice, but I didn't bring no damn lawsuit, cuz that's against the doctors.  Doctors are great and wise men, and people like us should never question them.  So anyheehoo, my daughter is 5 now, and I applied for the subsidized lunch program at her public school, and my daughter started getting free meals.  And you know, I had to spank her little bottom, 'cuz I found out that she's so hungry at lunchtime (she never has any breakfast because I can't afford it, and only has dinner 5 nights a week which is usually just ketchup and noodles but I call is 'sghetti).  Well anyway, I guess she was so hungry one day, that she actually pushed her way into the front of the line and cut in front of a well-fed older boy.  I couldn't believe her cheekiness!  That little blind girl, cutting in line, because she was hungry!  Outrageous.  I'm glad that older boy complained to the school principal, and that the principal called me at work.  I had to climb out the sewer pipe to get the phone, and Walmart docked my pay for the time, but I was glad I got that call.  Now I make sure my blind, hungry daughter gets in the back of the line where she belongs. 
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 22:24:56 »
and thus i guess capitolism sucks and is the root cause of all of our suffereing

Offline inteli722

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 22:29:31 »
*snip*
*snip*
*snip
*snip*

*snip*
*snip*

*snip*
*snip*
*snip*
*snip*
*many snips today*

I agree 100%!  You're a smart young man.  Lazy people should work.

I lost both my legs fighting for you in Afghanistan.  I came back and my VA disability claim was delayed for five years.  Which isn't bad, I've heard of seven and eight year claims.  Anywho, I finally got some prosthetic legs, but they don't fit, and cause me major blisters and sores on my stumps.  Those legs got recalled because some malcontent filed a class action lawsuit.  I don't understand those people.  I turned down the check they sent me.  If I didn't earn the money, I'm sure not going to take it for having no legs, and getting defective prosthetics.  Think of that medical supply company's profit margin.  It must have really been shrunk somewhat from that lawsuit. 

Well, anyha, now I have no legs, so I pull myself over the ground on a little sled/ wagon.  Because I have no legs, I couldn't get a job, and my credit went bad.  (I'm embarrassed to say missed a few electric bills.)  Well, now I can't get a regular middle class job because my credit is bad, and no big corporation will even interview me.  Plus, I have no legs.  But I'm not lazy.  So a friend got me a minimum wage job with Walmart as a sewage cleaner.  They like me at work because I can get into really small sewer pipes and root them out.  I dunno if you've ever been inside a Walmart sewer pipe, but they can get really backed up with compacted fecal matter, so I clean that out, by hand.

Anyhee, I'm not in a union, because that's Marxist, so I make sub-union wages.  Also I have no vacation days, sick days, or health care.  Walmart makes us clock in for 40 hours, but only pays us for 30.  Which is cool, because the Walton family that owns Walmart are not rich enough yet.  I'm helping them get over that $50 billion hump.  And I am proud to say that I pay taxes every paycheck.  In fact, I pay more taxes as a percentage of my total income, I pay about 34%, than either Mitt Romney (15%) who is a rich man, or Warren Buffett (18%) who is the richest man in the world.

My daughter went blind at birth from medical malpractice, but I didn't bring no damn lawsuit, cuz that's against the doctors.  Doctors are great and wise men, and people like us should never question them.  So anyheehoo, my daughter is 5 now, and I applied for the subsidized lunch program at her public school, and my daughter started getting free meals.  And you know, I had to spank her little bottom, 'cuz I found out that she's so hungry at lunchtime (she never has any breakfast because I can't afford it, and only has dinner 5 nights a week which is usually just ketchup and noodles but I call is 'sghetti).  Well anyway, I guess she was so hungry one day, that she actually pushed her way into the front of the line and cut in front of a well-fed older boy.  I couldn't believe her cheekiness!  That little blind girl, cutting in line, because she was hungry!  Outrageous.  I'm glad that older boy complained to the school principal, and that the principal called me at work.  I had to climb out the sewer pipe to get the phone, and Walmart docked my pay for the time, but I was glad I got that call.  Now I make sure my blind, hungry daughter gets in the back of the line where she belongs.

*sniff* Beautiful. Legitimately brought a tear to my eye.

But yeah. Pacifist, you need to get a reality check. Not all poor people are poor because they spent all their money on drugs. They could come from a farm family who barely makes ends meet, or they could be descendants of a man who invested in a good idea that flopped, bankrupting him. It really stacks, so today's children in poor families will likely stay poor, and it's not their fault. That's not to say they have to stay poor, but they may feel hopeless or they can't afford college, so they have to take minimum wage jobs, and the cycle continues. The only feasible way for them to get out of the cycle is if they get a scholarship.

That said, I don't live in a poor neighborhood, and I go to a fairly rich school, so my experience in this field is somewhat limited. However, to generalize based on your personal experience is pretty shallow and short-sighted. I get pretty mad when people cut in front of me for lunch, but it's really pretty petty when you think about it, complaining that your lunch got delayed a few seconds because somebody wanted to be first.
More

Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 22:31:57 »
your lunch got delayed a few seconds because somebody wanted to be first.

I agree with everything else. But its not a few seconds. It usually adds up to 10-15 minutes. One time I waited in line for 20 mins cus a bunch of ***gots kept on cutting in line

Mod edit: user was warned for this post
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 December 2013, 00:13:37 by hashbaz »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 22:32:47 »

I agree with everything else. But its not a few seconds. It usually adds up to 10-15 minutes. One time I waited in line for 20 mins cus a bunch of ***gots kept on cutting in line

homophobic also?

Offline inteli722

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 22:35:52 »

Deal with it. Bring a book to read or use your phone in line if it's so regular. It really is extremely petty (not that I'm siding with the people who are ignoring the line, that's just rude) to complain about having to wait to be fed when you eat 3 meals a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, except when you don't want to eat. If it really bothers you, then wake up a half hour earlier and bring your own lunch. No more lines. If you can't wake up earlier, then you should probably examine your schedule.
More

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 22:41:56 »
inb4 "i didn't say all, I said most"

It doesn't really pain me to say, eth0s, that what you said eclipses anything my dull brain could have thought of in the same time.

You know what bugs me about this "oh, they have "nice" clothes, that means they're mooching and can afford food"? It's like they've never been in a community where people do nice things for one another

Like, for example, do you know that mom/dad bought those jordans (or whatever,) with gov't money or is that perhaps from what they scrapped together mowing lawns, raking leaves and other child appropriate jobs?  Maybe the family, including extended, chipped in to get said kid some nice **** so he didn't feel like a piece of crap when he looked at his friends/peers?  Or even worse, maybe the family has a supportive church with a strong charity foundation that helps kids get nice things?  But I guess all these things mean that mom/dad are mooching off the good of others, including the government, instead of "working hard" and the kid should starve.

I'm purposefully avoiding your punishment whine because I see it for what it is, a QQ from a privileged youth that can't imagine being held responsible for his actions because he was born into a comfortable life.  Picking up trash is for poor people to earn their lunches, right?

Oh ****, 20 minutes!  Don't they understand your well-fed metabolism needs to be maintained on a strict schedule?!  How dare they impede you with their lack of money and glut of gnawing hunger.

I will say thanks, though.  I mean clearly, you've been afraid to tell me straight up, but you feel wrong for having taken the gift of cash I gave you for something nice.  I'll gladly take back that hand out since you "work hard for what you have".  I mean, other than your meals, clothes, room, utilities, insurance and other non-superfluous costs that your parents pay for you.  Bluntly, and has been repeated ad nauseaum, your privilege has blinded you to other people's suffering.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 22:48:06 »
This thread is ridiculously depressing.

I feel we should get back on topic and stop harassing Pacifist for being so short-sighted.

I believe that if the lesser-endowed kids have to work for free lunch, the school system should say "**** it" and have everybody get free lunch and work for it.

Or, they could find another way to give them work ethic without bringing up mandatory community service, though that may have to be implemented as much as I hate the idea.
More

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 23:03:53 »
This thread is ridiculously depressing.

I feel we should get back on topic and stop harassing Pacifist for being so short-sighted.

I believe that if the lesser-endowed kids have to work for free lunch, the school system should say "**** it" and have everybody get free lunch and work for it.

Or, they could find another way to give them work ethic without bringing up mandatory community service, though that may have to be implemented as much as I hate the idea.

You mean like through classes that teach important skills such as shop, home ec, ag co-op, auto shop?  All kids "work" for their meals.  Their job is to learn how to be a productive grown up as best they can when they're, you know, grown.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 23:04:37 »
and thus i guess capitolism sucks and is the root cause of all of our suffereing

Show Image

hmm, wow, where do i begin? 

"Capitolism" is a word to describe partisan grid-lock, and the fact that market forces are subsumed to the will of politicians in Wash, D.C.

"Capitalism" is an economic system whereby private individuals are allowed to own the means of production in order to extract profits at the expense of workers.  Each worker is individually exploited as he is never paid the full value of his labor, with the difference being siphoned off as "profits" by the owners of the firm.

First:  Your block quote is ridiculously inaccurate and racist.  Please don't cite phony "articles" containing fictitious figures, it undermines your argument.  And it makes you look like a fool for believing it to be true.

Second:  The argument contained within the phony article is fallacious.  More specifically it employs the "throw the baby out with the bathwater" fallacy.  Originally the name of this fallacy came from German:  das Kind mit dem Bade ausschütten.  Also known as the False Dilemma Fallacy.  This fallacy represents the argument that if something is imperfect, then there is no way to improve it, and the whole thing must be scrapped.  Which is of course, not true.  Fallacious reasoning will earn you an F in your debate class.  Please do not try it. 

Third:  Adam Smith, the intellectual and spiritual father of American free market capitalism in his seminal work, his magnus opus, The Wealth of Nations, warned us all that while free market capitalism is the most efficient means of organizing capital and labor, it must nevertheless be rigorously and vigilantly regulated either by a very strong government or by a very active tort bar, or both.  Smith cautioned that free market capitalism will be forever in jeopardy of being ruined by the stupidity and greed of the capitalists themselves.  Smith warned that the goal of every businessman was to control the market and fix prices, through monopoly, oligopoly, collusion and criminal enterprise.  Smith further warned that a business-dominated political system would allow a conspiracy of businesses and the government against consumers, with the former scheming to influence the politics and legislation of the latter.  Which is exactly what is happening right now.

Fourth:  Plato the Greek philosopher, foretold in his book The Republic, written in 380 B.C., that democracy, as a form of government, is vulnerable to being superseded.  The enemy of democracy is not fascism (as most conservatives try to tell you), instead the enemy of democracy is plutocracy:  rule by a class of elites.  Plato warned that the natural trend in every democracy is for wealth to be concentrated in the hands of a few, which leads to an entrenched class of rich people, who then take control of the government, and who will eventually eliminate democratic rule, since they fear that the will of the people is contrary to their sustained wealth and power.  Again, this is happening right now.

I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 23:15:10 »

Show Image

hmm, wow, where do i begin? 

"Capitolism" is a word to describe partisan grid-lock, and the fact that market forces are subsumed to the will of politicians in Wash, D.C.

"Capitalism" is an economic system whereby private individuals are allowed to own the means of production in order to extract profits at the expense of workers.  Each worker is individually exploited as he is never paid the full value of his labor, with the difference being siphoned off as "profits" by the owners of the firm.

First:  Your block quote is ridiculously inaccurate and racist.  Please don't cite phony "articles" containing fictitious figures, it undermines your argument.  And it makes you look like a fool for believing it to be true.

Second:  The argument contained within the phony article is fallacious.  More specifically it employs the "throw the baby out with the bathwater" fallacy.  Originally the name of this fallacy came from German:  das Kind mit dem Bade ausschütten.  Also known as the False Dilemma Fallacy.  This fallacy represents the argument that if something is imperfect, then there is no way to improve it, and the whole thing must be scrapped.  Which is of course, not true.  Fallacious reasoning will earn you an F in your debate class.  Please do not try it. 

Third:  Adam Smith, the intellectual and spiritual father of American free market capitalism in his seminal work, his magnus opus, The Wealth of Nations, warned us all that while free market capitalism is the most efficient means of organizing capital and labor, it must nevertheless be rigorously and vigilantly regulated either by a very strong government or by a very active tort bar, or both.  Smith cautioned that free market capitalism will be forever in jeopardy of being ruined by the stupidity and greed of the capitalists themselves.  Smith warned that the goal of every businessman was to control the market and fix prices, through monopoly, oligopoly, collusion and criminal enterprise.  Smith further warned that a business-dominated political system would allow a conspiracy of businesses and the government against consumers, with the former scheming to influence the politics and legislation of the latter.  Which is exactly what is happening right now.

Fourth:  Plato the Greek philosopher, foretold in his book The Republic, written in 380 B.C., that democracy, as a form of government, is vulnerable to being superseded.  The enemy of democracy is not fascism (as most conservatives try to tell you), instead the enemy of democracy is plutocracy:  rule by a class of elites.  Plato warned that the natural trend in every democracy is for wealth to be concentrated in the hands of a few, which leads to an entrenched class of rich people, who then take control of the government, and who will eventually eliminate democratic rule, since they fear that the will of the people is contrary to their sustained wealth and power.  Again, this is happening right now.

i can get way more evidence for free trade bad and cap bad

http://openev.debatecoaches.org/bin/download/2013/Gonzaga/Capitalism%20Kritik%20-%20Gonzaga%202013.docx

this file is full of evidence saying cap is bad

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 23:17:32 »
This thread lowers the quality of the forum. That being said, eth0s knows what's up.