Author Topic: Unicomp keyboard idea that deserves its own thread  (Read 1924 times)

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Unicomp keyboard idea that deserves its own thread
« on: Sat, 31 January 2009, 10:33:08 »
Here's an idea I had, for Unicomp to make to help maybe make their product more appealing, especially if they're aiming at gamers. I posted it in a thread reviewing the Customizer, but...

Start with a Customizer 104 USB. Black, with black unprinted keys. If they must be printed, try to do something like the HHKB black-on-black printing, which quite frankly would look awesome.

Why the Customizer shell? Simple, it has that classic Model M look and size that's almost a trademark.

Take the LED panel, and either leave it blank, or print it in black on black. If it's printed, change the damn icons, though, and don't use the Unicomp logo, or make a new logo.

Make the board 6-key rollover. Doesn't need to be N-key, just 6-key, if it's USB.

Now, you'll notice that I've got a black-on-black theme going.

Quote from: Douglas Adams
"It's the wild colour scheme that freaks me," said Zaphod whose love affair with this ship had lasted almost three minutes into the flight, "Every time you try to operate on of these weird black controls that are labelled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you've done it. What is this? Some kind of galactic hyperhearse?"

Well, while there's no such thing as a black LED, there is such a thing as a blacklight LED (basically a purple LED with UV emissions.) Screw blue LEDs. :p

Offline lal

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 31 January 2009, 11:00:25 »
And dump the numpad too! Black-on-black letters... UV-LEDs... Red Escape...
Mmmmh... rrrrhhh... mmmmhhhh.... (I just ejaculated)
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 31 January 2009, 13:19:01 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;20399
Make the board 6-key rollover. Doesn't need to be N-key, just 6-key, if it's USB.
This will be the problem, all the other ideas (including lal's) are very good and wouldn't require a lot of effort on Unicomp's side.

Maybe the NKey problem could be solved with a special membrane. I don't think the old membrane will do anyway. I have a Cherry G80-1800 POS keyboard with a special controller that has a complete set of diodes at the end of the matrix, at the 16+8 lines. IIRC NKey rollover was non existant with that keyboard. That would mean you can't add nKey by modifying the controller side alone.

What I have in mind would be a membrane from this:

There are smd parts on it. So that's how you could add a diode to every key. Just make some room for them by stamping holes into the upper or lower plate.

the old controller will do I guess. That would be one new part then. And a small mod to an existing one.

Well, I didn't think this fully through, maybe I missed a lot. I also have to sit down and think this nKey rollover thing through. It's not that difficult. I just can't motivate myself to do it.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 31 January 2009, 14:09:12 »
thirding bht and lal's ideas, and I'd only add that unicomp should hire lowpoly ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3