Author Topic: Where to buy MX switches  (Read 2262 times)

Offline doub

Where to buy MX switches
« on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 06:36:47 »
I'm currently designing my first custom keyboard based on Chery MX switches, a laser cut backplane and direct wiring. I'd like to buy a set of 150 or so MX red switches, along with some stabilizers (for 2x and 3x keys).

What websites can you recommend to buy MX switches (reds in particular) in that kind of quantity? Ideally I'd like reasonnably low prices, cheap shipping (to the UK), and I don't care much about shipping delays (though I'd prefer a shop with the switches in stock to avoid potentially very slow back orders).

Offline regack

Re: Where to buy MX switches
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 06:58:08 »
I don't know about websites across the pond, but 7bit is a reliable seller of switches.  Easiest to buy over at deskthority with the 7bot...  I believe that 7bit is in Germany.

Offline Game Theory

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 07:03:14 »
I agree with the 7bit route but if you want to pay (quite a bit more, about 2x) there's http://www.keyboardco.com/type/filco-and-mechanical-keyboard-spares.asp in the UK
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 December 2013, 07:05:40 by Game Theory »
... he's just a poor kid from the stupid ages.
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline doub

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 04:51:05 »
These two sources only sell switches, not stabilizers.

Any idea where to get stabilizers?

Offline bearcat

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 12:43:05 »
digikey and mouser both sell switches & stabilizers, but you need to dig through the datasheets.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 12:49:48 »
mechanicalkeyboards also has clears and blues, i believe. no stabs that i know of.

pcb stabs you can get from gon.

Offline jadow

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 12:16:33 »
mechanicalkeyboards also has clears and blues, i believe. no stabs that i know of.

pcb stabs you can get from gon.

does mechanicalkeyboards always have free shipping or is it only for a limited period only? Do they ship worldwide?

Offline fourzeropooh

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 15:55:08 »
wasd or gon or imsto for stabs

7bit for reds

Offline doub

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 19:04:00 »
I ordered some reds from 7bit, but it turns out he messed up his red inventory and I had to ask 3 weeks after shipping notification on paypal to realize it was not shipped at all. I won't have them before many more weeks (assuming I ever get them). And keyboardco.com is out of stock for reds.

Can anyone recommend a cheap assembled keyboard that uses reds that I could de-solder?

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 19:05:47 »
I ordered some reds from 7bit, but it turns out he messed up his red inventory and I had to ask 3 weeks after shipping notification on paypal to realize it was not shipped at all. I won't have them before many more weeks (assuming I ever get them). And keyboardco.com is out of stock for reds.

Can anyone recommend a cheap assembled keyboard that uses reds that I could de-solder?

There aren't that many old boards with reds. You'd have way better luck with blacks.

But I do remember some board with reds had major problems with the controller frying so if you got one of those for cheap that would get you reds easily

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 09:27:29 »
TechKeys is looking to carry switches at a reasonable price.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 09:28:49 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 February 2014, 09:30:39 by SpAmRaY »

Offline doub

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 17:10:43 »
But I do remember some board with reds had major problems with the controller frying so if you got one of those for cheap that would get you reds easily

That's a bit vague. Do you have any clue about the name of the manufacturer or the product that would help me search for it?

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 17:24:57 »
sometimes you can find these cheaper, but this is relatively cheap: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201044

not sure about UK sources.

If it's cheaper to get one in the US, and all you want is the switches, you might get someone here to desolder one for you and ship you the switches. I could probably do this. Not sure if that's economical for you, but I'm just throwing it out there as an idea since you seem pretty bent on getting some reds. PM me if interested.

Edit: Also, what kind of stabilizers are you looking for? That rosewill will come with costar.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 February 2014, 17:28:19 by whiskytango »
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.