Author Topic: O-rings or pads for Ducky Shine 3 w/ brown cherry keys  (Read 4394 times)

Offline mslinn

O-rings or pads for Ducky Shine 3 w/ brown cherry keys
« on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 01:21:13 »
I just ordered a Ducky Shine 3 tenkeyless with cherry brown keys for use recording instructional videos for software programmers. I would like to minimize the bottoming out sound and am willing to compromise the keyboarding experience slightly. Should I use O-rings, pads or something else? If o-rings, what thickness? If anyone has a recommendation, please point me to where I can buy online.

Many thanks,

Mike

Offline fourzeropooh

Re: O-rings or pads for Ducky Shine 3 w/ brown cherry keys
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 01:22:21 »
For the quietest your mech can go you will probably need to go with the thickest O rings.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 01:28:19 »
Look for transparent o-rings--I've seen them linked from someone on eBay (I think an international seller).  Opaque o-rings will block the LED light from illuminating the keycap legends properly.  I know because I've tried regular opaque o-rings on my Duckies.

edit: found them:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/261265487004
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline mslinn

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 02:36:58 »
Sweet! Thanks!

Offline mikeyjk

• github
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 02:49:42 »
Hey Mike,

I have tried O-Rings (the smallest mm that I could find.. they were red if that helps?) and soft landing pads.
I far preferred the soft landing pads, they provided a very smooth experience without bottoming out.
The O-Rings prevented bottoming out I found, but they have a bit of 'bounce-back' / it wasn't really what I was looking for.

The pads are a bitt of a hassle to maintain if you like to clean the keyboard every so often imo, whereas the O-Rings basically just sit in the same position on the key.

I hope my experience has been helpful.

What is the nature of the videos you will be doing Mike? I am a comp sci under grad and am always on the look out for good learning resources :).

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 11:26:06 »
Look for transparent o-rings--I've seen them linked from someone on eBay (I think an international seller).  Opaque o-rings will block the LED light from illuminating the keycap legends properly.  I know because I've tried regular opaque o-rings on my Duckies.

edit: found them:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/261265487004

Yes, definitely go for the translucent o-rings.  I used black o-rings on my Shine 2 and it did block out some light.  The legends were still readable but the portion closer to the stem and the o-ring seemed a little dimmer -- meaning that the letter O is visible but the bottom part was a little dark.

I bought from that supplier.  They shipped it out to me the day after I paid.  I bought some for my friends and extras for myself.  In total, I bought 5 of the 240-piece packs (http://www.ebay.com/itm/261269381932) and had less than 15 o-rings that either had the center part that needed to be popped out or had irregularities in molding.