Author Topic: Extending the cord which connects the Kinesis Freestyle halves  (Read 2967 times)

Offline reformist

Extending the cord which connects the Kinesis Freestyle halves
« on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 01:14:51 »
I'm a long-time user of the Kinesys Freestyle. I'd like to extend/replace the cord which connects the two keyboard halves together, so that I can mount each half to a chair arm and have the cord run under the chair. It's not long enough currently; it's only 20in long, and I'd like 6ft or so.

Has anyone done this mod before and know where I can find a long cable to replace the current one? The cord used to connect them looks like something proprietary, with 20 wires. I've never done a mod like this before.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
Re: Extending the cord which connects the Kinesis Freestyle halves
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 02:16:57 »
Try contacting Kinesis, they might be able to supply you with the cable, or at least the parts.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline reformist

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 23:53:59 »
Great idea. I emailed them and for the record, they sell a 72" cable for the Freestyle 2, which comes with instructions on how to install it. It's not listed on their website, but it costs $60 + $13 shipping (to California).

That's pretty steep for a cable, but it's an option.

Offline bcg

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 22:13:56 »
Can you post pictures of the cable/connectors?
:wq!

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 10:59:44 »
You know, at the end of the day….the connections don't really matter. It's just wires.

Be creative :)

P.S. I have a Freestyle (Mac) I'm selling, but if I can, maybe open it to see how the connections are made…my guess is that it's pretty simple.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~