Author Topic: My phantom build  (Read 2012 times)

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
My phantom build
« on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 10:26:11 »
I figure I should put up a thread, because this keyboard is ultimately becoming very important to me.

It's insane how something like a keyboard can eventually build an emotion in you, after you put not only money, but sweat, hard work and ultimately, pain.

I worked for awhile on my QFR project, that ultimately was botched. I don't know if I ruined the PCB when I desoldered, but it really hit me hard. I put a lot into that keyboard, though most of that work was hard because of my inexperience. Today I desoldered and took that project apart. I didn't expect to desolder it in a sitting, but I had some good music, and I found myself in a groove. Decided to take apart my blues, and make them Ghetto Greens, and then take apart my brand new clears and make them Ergo clears.

Overall I probably spent three and a half or four hours working on it tonight, and my fingers are killing me (though I imagine they'd be worse if I weren't a guitar player) but I suddenly feel better.

I've been depressed the last couple months. Failed my QFR build, and ultimately I failed to follow through with my GB, passing the burden on to Bunny and his team. Couple that with the cumulative months spent away from my family, and the impending and very scary unknown that is discharging from the Military, and my life is... scary, and sad right now.

I'm glad to have you guys. A shout out to Bunny, MOZ and JD (and many more) for helping keep me afloat, and making sure that it's known that a month away from the site doesn't mean I'm not welcome back.

Today, I really do feel better. I have my beautiful Ergo Clears installed on my black aluminum phantom plate, waiting for a PCB delivery from JD's workshop, and a vortex case, and I will be typing on my first custom board. Progress does a heart wonders.

So, for those wondering, here's my build.
White Phantom PCB, with diodes and teensy installed by JD
Ergo Clears (with stock clears on the mods, esc and arrow cluster)
Black aluminum plate
Blue Vortex TKL case
Calm Depths SA profile keycap set

There will be pictures as I progress.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: My phantom build
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 10:29:22 »
Can't wait to see your progress, and the finished Phantom. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline bcg

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 11:30:20 »
I find there's something cathartic about creating things with your hands, especially taking broken things and bringing them back to life.

Also discharging from the military is not something to be scared of, embrace the change - change is the only constant in life so best to not fear it.  Personally every day since I've been out of the military has been better than every day I was in, and its been a while.

Congrats on your project, and good luck
:wq!

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 21:03:00 »
Oh, my fear about leaving service is specific. I am entirely certain it's the right decision, but taking a step into this economy is scary from any vantage point. I'm leaving relative financial security, with a wife and daughter, and stepping into the unknown.

It's scary.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 21:05:57 »
please post detailed pics, I'm thinking of making a phantom one day

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 21:58:18 »
Pacifist, anything specific you'd like to see pictures of?

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 22:20:53 »

just location of parts and how you put together the case should be fine

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 22:51:56 »

just location of parts and how you put together the case should be fine

There are lots of phantom pics if you look around and I believe it was in the other thread about cases but Glod had posted a link to one of his builds that has some good pics already of a phantom and the vortex case.