Author Topic: where to find blank white dsa keycaps?  (Read 2685 times)

Offline mapple

where to find blank white dsa keycaps?
« on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 03:03:02 »
fellow geekhackers as in topic nothing more to add.......  it would be perfect if they were translucent based on white backlight on my keyboard.... anyone god any clue?
In God We Trust

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: where to find blank white dsa keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 03:43:56 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mapple

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 04:26:53 »
Top 'o the page:

http://keycapsdirect.com/marketplace.php

k thanks, you think that they will be translucent, or maybe u already have them?
In God We Trust

Offline tbc

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 04:56:45 »
not translucent.  never seen translucent dsa before.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline mapple

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 06:20:10 »
well i'll order anyways. Hopefully some of light will go thru that:D (i'm giving that hope cause white lights went thru grey pbt not that much but still ... there's that hope.......)
In God We Trust

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 06:56:22 »
SP caps are pretty thin.  The light tends to shine thru the caps.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 18:19:08 »
well i'll order anyways. Hopefully some of light will go thru that:D (i'm giving that hope cause white lights went thru grey pbt not that much but still ... there's that hope.......)

If you can turn the brightness of your LEDs up, you should see at least some glow under the top of the keycap.

Worst case you will have a diffused glow coming from under the keycaps - that can look really cool :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 18:40:41 »

DSA caps are not as thin as DCS.  But with PBT, I'm pretty sure the white PBT will let a fair amount of LED glow through, and black will be mostly opaque.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 19:33:58 »

DSA caps are not as thin as DCS.  But with PBT, I'm pretty sure the white PBT will let a fair amount of LED glow through, and black will be mostly opaque.

I read in the DSA Retro GB thread that those ones pretty much don't let any light through.

I would imagine that the white ones would let some light through.

Also any light leaking through would be more consistent with DSA as all the keycaps are the same profile, compared to DCS where more light shines through the bottom row as the keycaps are much shorter.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 19:35:52 »
Retro was dark ABS, and doubleshot at that, which is definitely very opaque.  Based on reports about IMSTO's thick PBT, which comes in light and dark varieties, light colored PBT lets a lot of light through, and dark, such as dark gray, does not let almost any light through.  Same with Ducky's light yellow thick PBT caps.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 19:37:27 »
Retro was dark ABS, and doubleshot at that, which is definitely very opaque.  Based on reports about IMSTO's thick PBT, which comes in light and dark varieties, light colored PBT lets a lot of light through, and dark, such as dark gray, does not let almost any light through.  Same with Ducky's light yellow thick PBT caps.

Yeah, I'm looking at Ducky yellow PBT keycaps as I type this :)