Author Topic: Whats the cheapest bigfoot alps board I can buy?  (Read 4584 times)

Offline wellington1869

Whats the cheapest bigfoot alps board I can buy?
« on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 12:58:14 »
based on ebay or other prices... just wondering... i'd like to try them out at some point to compare with the 'real-simplified' switches on the tp2.

No rush, just something to keep my eye out for. Wondering what model bigfoot boards tend to go for the least money.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 13:05:01 »
Specific color?  I believe the dell at-101w has black bigfoot ALPS...
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 13:19:21 »
I'm pretty sure this has bigfoot ALPS.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 13:23:01 »
I think he wants whites.

Of course, blues (IIRC, the predecessor of whites) might be interesting, too - it's been quite a while since I've typed on blues, though. I seem to recall it resembling a Cherry blue in feel, but with a better tactile curve, although I didn't have it plugged into a computer.

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 13:23:56 »
This one is NIB and is the same as my PC Accessories (Chicony) KB-7001.  It has bigfoot ALPS.

Here's
a used one for $53 buy it now.  (Same seller as I bought from...)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 13:36:52 »
yea, whites. the clicky plus tactile ones...

thanks for the links zw, i'm checking them out...

I also checked out that northgate repair site. I guess I have to decide if I want something cheap to just try and dispose, or if I want to something to keep and use. If the latter, then I'm really limited to the dell quietkey or the siig minitouch (because I need the short spacebar because I use the alt/win keys with my thumbs as hotkeys with autohotkey). Hmmmmm.

I asked the northgate repair guy for prices on those two. I'd be surprised if they're less than $50 though.

Alternately I buy a cheap one for around 20 or 25 (hopefully) and solder them into the dell at101w at some point. :)  I guess I have to think about it.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 13:40:34 »
your welcome.  I'll try to look for some cheaper ones too.

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 13:43:50 »
If you want something to keep and use, I'd reccomend the Omnikey Evolution.  Ctechsys has them for $79.  That's the cheapest your gonna find them + they have Windows keys and bigfoot ALPS.

Offline lam47

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 13:45:03 »
I still have one up for grabs. Not sure why nobody wants it.
Postage I guess.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 13:45:54 »
Quote from: wellington1869;21071

Alternately I buy a cheap one for around 20 or 25 (hopefully) and solder them into the dell at101w at some point. :)  I guess I have to think about it.

The Dells are bigfoot too, so using an ALPS switch tool from lam (I think you got one didn't you?) you should be able to swap just the tops without having to desolder.

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 13:46:49 »
Quote from: lam47;21075
Postage I guess.

I'd want it if it weren't for the fact that your poweruser is ADB and I'm to cheap to buy a kb and spend $35 on an iMate :p

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 13:48:17 »
There is always buying a computer that can use it. (The sad part is, an ADB-equipped compact Mac or a IIGS or something probably would be cheaper than an iMate.)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 13:49:46 »
Quote from: lam47;21075
Postage I guess.

lol, ya for me postage would kind of kill the deal since I'm attempting to go cheap-o here ;)  Otherwise I would have grabbed it actually. Oh and I gave away my imate too.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 13:52:27 »
Quote from: zwmalone;21077
The Dells are bigfoot too, so using an ALPS switch tool from lam (I think you got one didn't you?) you should be able to swap just the tops without having to desolder.

no the at101w's we got all have black alps. are those bigfoots? I've forgotten, I'llhave to open one and check. I thought they were newer 'simplified' alps switches.

update holy crap, I think they're bigfoots?!

this is a pic of the dell black alps:

which looks an awful lot like the first alps switch (bigfoot?) described here (sandy's page i think):
http://sandy55.fc2web.com/keyboard/alps_sw2.html

If so, holy crap, i already have bigfoots! In that case I guess I have to compare them myself :)

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 13:53:06 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;21082
There is always buying a computer that can use it. (The sad part is, an ADB-equipped compact Mac or a IIGS or something probably would be cheaper than an iMate.)

I have a blue-and-white g3 in the attic.(The b/w g3 is the last mac with an ADB port)  I use my keyboards/computers mostly for web design and Coda/Dreamweaver run like molasses on that old g3 with panther...

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 13:54:59 »
Quote from: wellington1869;21085
no the at101w's we got all have black alps. are those bigfoots? I've forgotten, I'llhave to open one and check. I thought they were newer 'simplified' alps switches.

I know they are.  Switching mechanism doesn't change between switch color.  Here's a pic of a bigfoot ALPS mechanism:

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 14:09:21 »
damn, so I guess I dont need to buy anything, lol.  I'll do a comparison in next day or two then :)

my feeling is that for whatever reason I like the 'real-simplified' version of this switch over the others. (Figures, since its the one that is apparently the hardest to find :)  And that means I might have to hold on to this tp2 so that at some distant future date I can maybe solder its switches into the dell (both because of the tp2's ghosting problems and because I want the shorter spacebar).  SO one more project for the to-do list :)

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 14:21:38 »
Keep in mind though it won't be a fair comparison compairing a white switch to a black "low tactile" switch.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 14:22:22 »
Quote from: zwmalone;21094
Keep in mind though it won't be a fair comparison compairing a white switch to a black "low tactile" switch.

no, i'm going to swap out the click leafs before comparing :)

Offline skriefal

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 15:17:24 »

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 15:20:33 »
Quote from: skriefal;21102
This one I believe has some sort of actual Alps switches:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alps-MCL-101-Multipurpose-Media-Keyboard-DIN-5-IBM-PC_W0QQitemZ270328759771QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Mice_Trackballs?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Only $3.99 plus reasonable shipping...

I wonder what it has. Dirt cheap, too.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 15:30:06 »
I was tempted to buy it myself... but I already have enough Alps-based keyboards. :)