Author Topic: Recommendation request: clickless, tenless, firm?  (Read 2333 times)

Offline eater

Recommendation request: clickless, tenless, firm?
« on: Tue, 10 February 2009, 16:45:23 »
Like everyone else who cares about the good things in life, I'm questing for the right keyboard for me. I've tried a few on my own, but now it might be time to ask for the collective wisdom of Geekhack.org. Perhaps I don't have the patience of the dedicated aficionado to keep trying new keyboards for years and years. I at least want to settle on one main one that'll keep me happy for day-to-day work while I explore other options on the side.

My basic criteria are: I want a fairly quiet board, but a firm one with good tactile resistance. If I can get it without a numpad, I'll be ecstatic.

I guess I want a keyboard with the resistant feel of a Model M and the minimal sound of brown Cherries. I haven't had access to try out blue Cherry switches -- I worry that they'd be too loud anyway.

Following a friend's suggestion, I've tried a couple of different boards with black Alps switches, including a NIB AT101W with original "real" ones. Those are closer, but bit too soft for my taste, and the Dell is quite noisy, from the bottoming out of the fairly loosely-set keys.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 February 2009, 16:48:23 »
If you want stiffer tactile switch, you could use springs from black/linear with stems from brown or clear Cherries.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 February 2009, 17:45:02 »
You could always get MX1A-D1NN or D1NW switches.

Grey tactile stem (as opposed to grey linear stem,) 2.8 oz spring.

That would be in the ballpark of a Model M.

Offline eater

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 February 2009, 10:02:25 »
Is there a keyboard on the market with those grey switches?

I should have probably mentioned that I have fat clumsy fingers (which is why I want the firm keyboard). I think trying to open things up and mess with springs and switches would leave me in the end with no keyboard at all.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 February 2009, 13:52:27 »
I suspect that a G80-3000 variant with clear switches (was there one?) would have ONE, under the spacebar.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 February 2009, 00:32:09 »
Another option is a soft touch Model M. I don't know how much the silicone grease affects tactile feeling though.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 February 2009, 02:18:50 »
Quote from: Chloe;21690
Another option is a soft touch Model M. I don't know how much the silicone grease affects tactile feeling though.

ah, this sounds like my area of 'expertise' ;)
Doesnt affect tactile feel unless you really saturate it...

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 February 2009, 12:08:47 »
As I've heard, the soft touch Ms are saturated.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 February 2009, 16:39:05 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;21723
As I've heard, the soft touch Ms are saturated.

yea, they are... thats why I greased it myself. more control over feel and sound that way, and it didnt take long (no soldering, lol).

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3