Author Topic: What do you do once you reach keyboard nirvana?  (Read 8406 times)

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
Re: What do you do once you reach keyboard nirvana?
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 15:27:29 »
why would one want to live forever?

When love must die?

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 15:40:03 »
Keyboards are too beautiful to put in boxes :p

That's how I feel about (most) girls. BA-DA-BING!

My "input nirvana" was conceptualized in 2009 and I put in a fair amount of personal effort, and turned to GH and DT for the other aspects I couldn't reasonably do (design, program controllers, etc). But I was ahead of the curve and gave up after a couple years of trying to recruit some key people. I saw the positive direction several aspects were headed and have let time take it's course. In 2012/2013 several items in the community have come together organically and my missing pieces are virtually complete. Patience……..

So I was thinking a lot about this yesterday. So to clarify, are you referring to your "input nirvana" as your concept of the perfect board? Just curious what pieces you're still looking for.

I wonder if we could put together some type of nirvana dream team of GH members who would select an active community member and help them build their final board. As someone's board is complete, they would then be added into to the dream team and would have to pay it forward. There's a lot to analyze here on criteria for the selection process.

Also we could be the group to organize more local meetups, so people could sample different types of keyboards. Maybe we even start an inventory of spec boards that would travel around on rotation so people could experiment without having to shell out too much money. We could even have people in essence "rent out boards" which would allow us to acquire new keyboards and also make up for any potential losses if something went wrong.

Hmm, this could get interesting

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 16:36:11 »
I'm not in that state yet, but I feel close to having some more informed idea of what I want.  I suspect it will still keep evolving over time though.  At first I was caught up in trying out various switches and switch mods.  Then, having done a lot of that and learning to appreciate customization with my own hands beyond the switches and case painting, I've turned to some custom keyboards and realized I no longer wanted to type on "regular" modern keyboards, such as a QFR.  Nothing wrong with them, but even my last fully customized Filco would sit next to my LZ-GH, and other than for Clear switches, I had no desire to type on the Filco, as the plastic case just did not feel dampened / "solid" enough--too much vibration through the desk.  So I've come to the conclusion that realistically, I'd much rather just have the best of each kind (subjectively), and go for customs where I can afford them and vintage keyboards otherwise.  Going to have a Lightsaver for another Cherry custom keyboard, and maybe a more compact keyboard in a different form factor at some point.  1 Cherry TKL, etc.  Other than that, other keyboards I want to own will be very different, such as beamspring (my most favorite switch type), a buckling spring keyboard or two, etc.  All the "hefty" vintage stuff.  Just ordered a vintage Japanese IBM keyboard with linear switches.  That sort of thing.  As much fun as it was to have a rainbow collection of Filcos, I can't see doing that ever again.
Sort of how I feel now, I started out with a razer blackwidow which was mx blues, then I bought two quickfire rapids, both in mx blues. I really facepalm thinking back on it, but it did really help set my foundation for how I feel about keyboards. (Take into account that all this has taken place starting at the very end of august last year)

I have nothing wrong with cherry mx blue switches but I was being one of the typical people who think nothing can beat a cherry mx blue keyswitch. I actually fully customized and took apart one of my quickfire rapids, painting and spring swapping and such, it taught me a lot about customizing keyboards and got me to the point where I feel comfortable working on a keyboard more in depth.

I then got an IBM model M and fell in love with the switches, I thought it was just the best thing ever but hated its size. I did know about the model F and it's capacitive buckling springs but I had never tried one, once I got my kishsaver I then realized how much better they feel than the buckling springs on the model m.

I decided a wanted an even smaller keyboard, I settled on the poker 2, I couldn't decide what switch I wanted, I was so close to getting a cherry mx blue one, luckily I thought better of it and decided I should get a linear and I hated reds so I got blacks (terrified I would hate it since reds were so bad imo) It is an awesome board, I love it and it is more or less my gaming keyboard even though I like it for typing just as much as gaming, I am writing this on the poker right now.

I then got a filco and put it in the vortex aluminum case and threw some classic beige double shots on it, I used the vortex for testing the waters of aluminum cases to see if I even liked them. Sadly, I LOVED them. I am going to hold on to it for awhile I am sure but it is going to get replaced later on I am sure. I want a keyboard like the LZ-GH because cases like this vortex and the kmac sandwich together over the pcb and place which leaves a line or seam running down the middle around the whole keyboard. The LZ-GH doesn't, since it pushes in through the bottom, I like that a lot more.

I also got another aluminum case, the FMJ design #2 and got every little cool thing I could think of for it. Sprits custom PCB, a 4mm thick aluminum plate, lube, new springs, mx clear switches, clear switch tops, stickers, leds, etc. This keyboard isn't put together yet though, I am patiently waiting on the parts to ship.

I also got an IBM kishsaver, and I am going to restore it, so that is going to be fun as well.

I don't see any sort of keyboard nirvana happening for me. Much like you though, I don't have any interest in more standard(probably not the right words) keyboards, be it filco, ducky, cooler master. I might possibly get the cooler master topre keyboard though, more customization over a standard topre keyboard, which makes me happy.

My keyboard goals this year are going to be trying out various more unique keyboards, on the list are HHKB or topre in general, ergodox, the 40% board.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 19:52:55 »
I don't think I ever will. I just like trying new things.

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangnamember
  • * Maker
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 02:24:25 »
I'm not sure if keyboard nirvana exists. A month ago I thought I would be set on my HHKB with blanks and a numrow full of red esc's. Now that I have hit that goal I'm thinking "hmm well the red esc's are good, but you what would be better? Red novelty caps a cross the top!" Then after I hit that goal, I'm sure I'm going to hate red and try a different color (but not sell the reds because I'm a key hoarder) than after that I'm sure a floating topre board that wirelessly connects to my car that will let me drive it using WASD will be out, aaaaand I'll have to start all over again. I think I need to go to bed
sell ass and eat out

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 04:02:13 »
the thing about nirvana is once you've acclimated to it's divinity, your vision clears and sees something just round the bend

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 05:11:36 »
"The road goes ever on" - Bilbo Baggins

Keep the ones you have previously had some sort of attchment to. You'll probably try them out again at some point, if only for nostalgia's sake. Sell the rest, if you can bring yourself to let them go.

Then there are the interesting new boards and projects and keycaps that pique your interest. There is no end to the wallet hack, although it does slow down once you find a board that really suits you well.

I've managed to minimise the damage by adopting an unorthodox physical (custom ergo) AND character layout (modification of an already obscure one) soon after I got my first mechanical (which I cannabalised to make the ergo board). It means I'm not tempted by any traditional board designs and printed / lasered / dyesubbed / doubleshot keycap sets.

Just really interesting designs (of which the price often cures the temptation) and blank sets....
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 06:32:50 »
the thing about nirvana is once you've acclimated to it's divinity, your vision clears and sees something just round the bend

Well said noisy :)