Author Topic: What do you do once you reach keyboard nirvana?  (Read 8408 times)

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
What do you do once you reach keyboard nirvana?
« on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 21:02:15 »
Anyone with large keyboard collections reach a turning point where you found your dream board after years and years of searching? And if so, what did you end up doing with your collections?

Part of me is a collector, part of me is a realist, and the dualism between these two is making it hard for me to decide what to do.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: What do you do once you reach keyboard nirvana?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 21:11:12 »
I've got 10 keyboards and a typewriter at this point

That's not large compared to some people here, but it's certainly more keyboards than the average person.

I know what my end-game keyboard is, and when I get it, I'll probably just add it to my keyboard rotation, and use it every few weeks.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline 127001

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 21:13:33 »
I still have a bunch of boards I would like but I'm starting to get to the end of things I think I can reasonably get IBM wise. I still think that I could always start focusing on boards that are in better condition or better display mechanisms. I think it's worth always having that one thing that you'll probably never have.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 January 2014, 21:16:11 by 127001 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 21:18:24 »
Some seem to sell off everything they don't use.  In fact some people tend to sell off anything they are not regularly using.

I have this condition where I hang on to everything I get.

Even if I were to get my end game keyboard, I would probably still keep all the ones I have.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 21:22:56 »
I still have a bunch of boards I would like but I'm starting to get to the end of things I think I can reasonably get IBM wise. I still think that I could always start focusing on boats that are in better condition or better display mechanisms. I think it's worth always having that one thing that you'll probably never have.

Yeah I can kind of see that concept of always "chasing the dragon". I guess I just never figured I'd reach this point, but things kind of worked out for once and I've been able to 90% complete what I believe in good faith, will be my final keyboard.

I've got to say, it's a very interesting feeling. Today I was typing a bunch of stuff and while pressing my space bar, I realized it felt much smoother then normal, in fact every key press felt great. I basically was in the zone and completely forgot about the keyboard for once, and was just enjoying my typing experience.

Then I had this faint idea come to me that I should get rid of all this stuff I've collected because it's just never going to compare.

I guess there are a few good reasons to keep your old "spec" boards around. Especially those that you've spent so much time and money completing.

But I don't know, I'm probably going to start parting with a bunch of stuff that while I enjoy, deep down I know someone else out there would get much more enjoyment out of it.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 21:27:41 »
Just sit back and enjoy your lubed ergo clears  :p

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 21:30:10 »

Oh I see, you just assume it's ergo clears off the bat ;)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 21:51:38 »
throw my hands in the air and wave 'em like i dont care
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 January 2014, 21:53:41 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 22:00:59 »
Some seem to sell off everything they don't use.  In fact some people tend to sell off anything they are not regularly using.

I have this condition where I hang on to everything I get.

Even if I were to get my end game keyboard, I would probably still keep all the ones I have.

I'm the same way. I feel like I can't sell anything that I buy.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 22:02:15 »
I've come to the point that I know what I like, and like what I have. I've decided to stop buying anything that isn't remarkable just because it's a good deal... and I have gotten rid of over half my collection the past few weeks. It feels good not seeing a pile of keyboards I know I won't use. Having + $1000 back in my pocket feels damn good too.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 22:02:55 »

obviously topre....

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 22:09:53 »
I've come to the point that I know what I like, and like what I have. I've decided to stop buying anything that isn't remarkable just because it's a good deal... and I have gotten rid of over half my collection the past few weeks. It feels good not seeing a pile of keyboards I know I won't use. Having + $1000 back in my pocket feels damn good too.

Yep, that's pretty much it. I think it's time for me to consolidate things a bit. I'm still going to hold onto some of the fun items, or those which were very rare and hard to acquire.

obviously topre....

You know it :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 January 2014, 22:18:19 by Wildcard »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 22:21:22 »
Yep, that's pretty much it. I think it's time for me to consolidate things a bit. I'm still going to hold onto some of the fun items, or those which were very rare and hard to acquire.

Like that 23UB? :P

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 22:33:21 »
Kind of gone off buying ready made keyboards (they're so boring) because they rarely have the essential items I require on any decent keyboard.  But I'm also curious about any new products being released and that covers mice as well as some keyboards.

Much prefer customized, made for your own purpose keyboards (Koreans) more than anything.  You have your keyboard done your way and that's all I require  :thumb: .

I've got heaps of space at my place so I'm not that concerned about running out of it, anytime soon.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 23:26:22 »
The whole point of this hobby is that it's bottomless...

Gotta catch'em all ...

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 00:16:23 »
The whole point of this hobby is that it's bottomless...

Gotta catch'em all ...
Show Image

TP knows the real truth here on Geekhack.

Offline iri

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 00:48:02 »
you have 445 useful posts and over a thousand of them in the offtopic section.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 02:04:23 »
For me it was pretty easy. I had been through a number of keyboards. First, as a gamer, I got into mechanical keyboards by using the Steelseries blacks. At that time (2008-ish), I did not know the first thing about mechanical keyboards, but thought the keys were a little heavy. When I learned that there were other switches that were lighter, I switched to reds. While I liked how light they were, eventually I wanted something that felt the same but with a little feedback to help me from not accidentally hitting keys and bottoming out on every keystroke, so I went with browns. I have not tried every kind out there, but I am so satisfied with the feel of the browns that I am just going to stick with it. Imo, it already took me a lot of time and money to figure out this is the switch for me.

Once I found that, I went through a number of keyboards. In the end I found that most additional features go unused by me, and I wanted something solid and decent that I can use at work without it standing out. I also love a more simple aesthetic. I ended up with the Majestouch 2. I bought one for home use first (tenkeyless). Liked it so much that eventually I decided MJ2 with browns is my keyboard and bought 2 more (full-sized) for at work.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 02:51:00 »
For me it was pretty easy. I had been through a number of keyboards. First, as a gamer, I got into mechanical keyboards by using the Steelseries blacks. At that time (2008-ish), I did not know the first thing about mechanical keyboards, but thought the keys were a little heavy. When I learned that there were other switches that were lighter, I switched to reds. While I liked how light they were, eventually I wanted something that felt the same but with a little feedback to help me from not accidentally hitting keys and bottoming out on every keystroke, so I went with browns. I have not tried every kind out there, but I am so satisfied with the feel of the browns that I am just going to stick with it. Imo, it already took me a lot of time and money to figure out this is the switch for me.

Once I found that, I went through a number of keyboards. In the end I found that most additional features go unused by me, and I wanted something solid and decent that I can use at work without it standing out. I also love a more simple aesthetic. I ended up with the Majestouch 2. I bought one for home use first (tenkeyless). Liked it so much that eventually I decided MJ2 with browns is my keyboard and bought 2 more (full-sized) for at work.

trust me... once you get tuned in and bored with what you got now...

the urge will return...  it 's not the upgrade kinda feeling, you might convince urself that it is.. but you just want something different for the sake of different.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 11:47:18 »

This sounds in a good way, like an ignorance is bliss type statement. There is a lot of solid truth to the fact that you don't know what you don't know, and you can't love what you haven't tried. Those of us who have truly experienced wallet hack will have more to contribute in this space. There was a time in the beginning when I thought the Filco MJ2 was it for me. At about 6 boards I realized that my Filco's weren't doing it, so I started branching out. My 87u variable had it's ups and downs, mainly that my I would accidentally press down on those 35g switches. But it gave me a good feeling of Topre that I pursued. I also bought a Fullsize Realforce with 55g early on which I kept for 1 week before realizing that I couldn't do 55g. So that put me in the middle, 45g.

Filco, IMO is a good spec board. It's stolid, it's reliable, it works. And if you're satisfied with browns no need rocking the boat.

However, for those who to put into Mick Jagger's terms, "can't get no satisfaction" our journey is usually a much longer one. I'm just fortunate to have tried so many boards that I was able to find aspects that I liked, which overtime lead me to my current custom build.

But much like you, there are some things out there that I still haven't tried. And there's always a chance something could change. But I've never felt the "this is it" moment as strongly as I do now.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 12:01:01 »
I was fortunate enough to not have to try to buy. But for some reason I still have almost 20 boards. I think I'm in my collecting phase. But I'm starting to think I might sell some off. We'll see.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 12:03:56 »
Spend less money

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 13:43:06 »
1. Do you have plenty of money?
2. Do you have plenty of space?

If yes, then get some nice boxes and start a collection, but only keep the ones that you actually like.

If "not really" then decide how much space you have and how many will fit that space. Sell the rest and put the money in your pocket.

I have about half a dozen in active rotation, a dozen in deep storage, and a large discard pile that needs to go out the door. Some of those discards could be converted into a moderate amount of money, and some really belong in the garbage.

I recommend a backup for your favorite, along with a minimal collection of at least 2 second-tier selections, just for the sake of variety.

Also, it is good to always have at least one working PS/2 board and one working USB board for testing purposes.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 14:57:11 »
Lack of space was really one of my big motivators to pare it down. I do have very limited space with my ~28m² studio so a bunch of stuff simply had to go. When it gets a little warmer I plan to build something that will allow the keyboards I am keeping that aren't paired with a PC to double as some 'decor' while having more efficient use of space.

Offline 127001

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 16:47:33 »
If yes, then get some nice boxes and start a collection, but only keep the ones that you actually like.

Keyboards are too beautiful to put in boxes :P

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 16:58:20 »

Keyboards are too beautiful to put in boxes :P

My collection says otherwise

I'd change too often if I could see them
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 17:11:50 »
I tried to trim it down to where I only had one Alps board, one BS board, one Topre board, and one MX board. I still have more than that, but I tried.

Clarification: I tried to pick a nice, good quality board of each type.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 07:19:42 »
My end game item is this but with an ISO UK layout, a mint gum skull and a leather embossed wrist rest

I have the rest so once I get those items I'm done with GH I think. I'm not sure how hard the board I want is to get but I'm hoping to have it done by the end of the year

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 08:00:48 »
I know the HHKB/Topre in general is alot of peoples end-game keyboard and i'm going to buy a HHKB as my first board. I wonder if i will one day branch off too cherry mx and prefer that.

Or maybe the HHKB will just be my end-game keyboard at my first one

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 08:03:21 »
I know the HHKB/Topre in general is alot of peoples end-game keyboard and i'm going to buy a HHKB as my first board. I wonder if i will one day branch off too cherry mx and prefer that.

Or maybe the HHKB will just be my end-game keyboard at my first one

How can you know unless you try them all :eek:

Offline 127001

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 08:15:47 »

You'll branch off and then one day realize that you've been missing out on buckling springs all this time :P

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 08:15:57 »
I like to test, review, restore all of them, but I'm not a collector. I bought an SSK. Cleaned it, bolted it, tried it... and resold :) The time spent restoring it was more fun than actually using it (don't get me wrong, it's a great keyboard, but I wouldn't use it, so...).

I love building custom keyboards too, but at the end I'm typing on a Realforce 55gr. I have some other backup keyboards with MX blue, but I'm really not interested in collecting more than I need.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 08:18:11 »
I had a list of five boards I wanted to get. RBW, KC 84, WASD V2, Model M and HHKB.

Now I've come to geekhack, that has expanded exponentially with every post I read. At the moment I'm lookg at like 5 or six more on top of the 3 I have right now. I honestly don't know if I will find that perfect board, but I will probably keep all the ones I buy, maybe get myself something from Ikea to store them all on so they dont gather dust in a box, feeling unloved.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 08:21:19 »

You'll branch off and then one day realize that you've been missing out on buckling springs all this time :P
If i can find a SSK i would so be down for some Buckling springs. They do sound mighty tempting.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 08:26:54 »
The obvious answer is; you move on to collecting other input devices and peripherals.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 10:49:25 »
First, we have to define "keyboard nirvana". To some, it may be a loose term meaning 'completely satisfied, but want a variety of keyboards', while for others it may mean "I only use keyboard X now, I would never touch another keyboard'. I'm a part of the former, so even though my RF 55g is my 'completely satisfied' keyboard, I still want to have a few others that I can switch to when I feel like it.

I'm planning to build a TKL I ordered from sprit with 55g MX Brown switches. Once I do that, I'll eventually collect a few other classic keyboards like the Dolch PAC, Model M or SSK, and maybe even an Amiga keyboard.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 11:17:18 »
Keyboards are too beautiful to put in boxes :p

That's how I feel about (most) girls. BA-DA-BING!

My "input nirvana" was conceptualized in 2009 and I put in a fair amount of personal effort, and turned to GH and DT for the other aspects I couldn't reasonably do (design, program controllers, etc). But I was ahead of the curve and gave up after a couple years of trying to recruit some key people. I saw the positive direction several aspects were headed and have let time take it's course. In 2012/2013 several items in the community have come together organically and my missing pieces are virtually complete. Patience……..
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 17:49:14 »

This sounds in a good way, like an ignorance is bliss type statement. There is a lot of solid truth to the fact that you don't know what you don't know, and you can't love what you haven't tried. Those of us who have truly experienced wallet hack will have more to contribute in this space. There was a time in the beginning when I thought the Filco MJ2 was it for me. At about 6 boards I realized that my Filco's weren't doing it, so I started branching out. My 87u variable had it's ups and downs, mainly that my I would accidentally press down on those 35g switches. But it gave me a good feeling of Topre that I pursued. I also bought a Fullsize Realforce with 55g early on which I kept for 1 week before realizing that I couldn't do 55g. So that put me in the middle, 45g.

Filco, IMO is a good spec board. It's stolid, it's reliable, it works. And if you're satisfied with browns no need rocking the boat.

However, for those who to put into Mick Jagger's terms, "can't get no satisfaction" our journey is usually a much longer one. I'm just fortunate to have tried so many boards that I was able to find aspects that I liked, which overtime lead me to my current custom build.

But much like you, there are some things out there that I still haven't tried. And there's always a chance something could change. But I've never felt the "this is it" moment as strongly as I do now.

Yeah, you are absolutely right. It is true that there are things I have not tried, and in a sense it is an "ignorance is bliss" kind of thing. Though at the same time, there are a lot of things I have tried. Out of those, I like the browns and the MJ2 best. I am not saying there is nothing out there I could like better. For example, I have never tried Topre and there is a good chance that I will really like it. But I am pretty happy with what I have, and not really all that willing to spend even more money than I already have to find something even better. I think most people out here have not tried everything. I just do not want to claim I like my browns over anything else without ever even having tried it.

trust me... once you get tuned in and bored with what you got now...

the urge will return...  it 's not the upgrade kinda feeling, you might convince urself that it is.. but you just want something different for the sake of different.

Show Image

It is very true that at some point I might indeed crack and try something else. Maybe there will be some kind of sale, maybe I have a little money to spend and nothing better to spend it on, or maybe I read too many posts on this forum about just how amazingly good the ergodox is  ;), or how amazing Topre feels.

But for now , I am pretty happy with what I have. One thing that that keeps me from trying some other things is that I want the same kind of keyboard at home and at work (two work-locations). That means I have to buy 3 keyboards in total. Even if I did find that I love Topre, I am not sure whether I would be willing to replace all of them with say, realforce keyboards. That would cost me something like 700 dollar which is not too tempting considering I already have something I really like.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 January 2014, 17:55:12 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 21:09:53 »
I don't want to go to heaven or the GH equivalent KB-nirvana.

I want to live forever and play with keyboards.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 11:20:59 »

Show Image

Well fine, don't go to keyboard heaven.

You'll be roasting with lucifer on a pile of cheap rubber domes.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 11:36:36 »
I'm not in that state yet, but I feel close to having some more informed idea of what I want.  I suspect it will still keep evolving over time though.  At first I was caught up in trying out various switches and switch mods.  Then, having done a lot of that and learning to appreciate customization with my own hands beyond the switches and case painting, I've turned to some custom keyboards and realized I no longer wanted to type on "regular" modern keyboards, such as a QFR.  Nothing wrong with them, but even my last fully customized Filco would sit next to my LZ-GH, and other than for Clear switches, I had no desire to type on the Filco, as the plastic case just did not feel dampened / "solid" enough--too much vibration through the desk.  So I've come to the conclusion that realistically, I'd much rather just have the best of each kind (subjectively), and go for customs where I can afford them and vintage keyboards otherwise.  Going to have a Lightsaver for another Cherry custom keyboard, and maybe a more compact keyboard in a different form factor at some point.  1 Cherry TKL, etc.  Other than that, other keyboards I want to own will be very different, such as beamspring (my most favorite switch type), a buckling spring keyboard or two, etc.  All the "hefty" vintage stuff.  Just ordered a vintage Japanese IBM keyboard with linear switches.  That sort of thing.  As much fun as it was to have a rainbow collection of Filcos, I can't see doing that ever again.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 January 2014, 12:37:15 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 12:21:44 »

Show Image

Well fine, don't go to keyboard heaven.

You'll be roasting with lucifer on a pile of cheap rubber domes.

I don't think most people have made a list of what heaven offers... I have.. and honestly.. I wouldn't want to go there..

Heaven:

Live forever
All wishes fulfilled

Hell:

Live forever
All wishes denied

They're pretty much the exact same thing...  the similarity is that they're both forever... and when you have "forever" in the tagline, then CHOICE is no longer pertinent.

You eat enough cake in heaven, you'd get sick of it..

You suffer enough lashings in hell, you'd forget it's there..

NOW, you could say.. well, lucifer or god will modify your brain, such that pleasure is prolonged indefinitely, or pain is prolonged indefinitely.. 

That's stupid, because if they were going to modify us in such drastic dramatic ways , why not have us created to desired specification to begin with..

Why would they do a production run of crippled product, then blame us for coming out crummy...

So they created us with free will, and the capacity to "err" under their belief system of right and wrong..

Well, wtf did they think was going to happen..  so then we do make "mistakes", and they punish us for their CHOICE of having given us that capacity to do so...

I am not deferring responsibility because in all likelihood, had there been a god, they would not be as described in the typical religious affair..  most religious texts contain a god that is far too human...

But either way... we can only assume that to answer for our actions, we must remain victimiz-able as a human beings.. otherwise they would be rewarding or punishing a mere doll, what purpose is there in that??

Finally, this should explain why I don't think heaven / hell exists or make sense relative to an omnipotent god.

I also don't believe I'll be eternally rewarded or punished for my actions come death.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 12:35:05 »
why would one want to live forever?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 12:48:57 »

you have to get rid of certain constraints in the concept of "living forever"

in the classic sci-fi scenario, living forever, is usually a Stasis situation, where ur existence is unchanging, yet you remain alive..

This would not occur, if and ever the eternal-life option became available..

Given eternal life, even if our bodies do not evolve through successive generations.. cybernetic augmentation could be utilized, because hell, you certainly have the time to research it..  So one's comprehension, one's ability to utilize would always be increasing..

Thus... when you LIVE forever FOR REAL, and not science fiction,  then it is a very attractive thing. because you are given the time to change and grow, and you certainly WOULD...

If you modify the question to say.. Do I want to live forever as a limited human being without the possibility of evolving further... then of course the answer is no...

But that is a highly unlikely scenario.. because there would have to be a 3rd party enforcer...

This is a departure of fiction from potential reality...

Offline fourzeropooh

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 14:24:20 »

Would you rather live forever or be dead, have absolute blankness, forever?

You can't even comprehend that you are dead.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 14:28:12 »

Would you rather live forever or be dead, have absolute blankness, forever?

You can't even comprehend that you are dead.

The line of life and death is arbitrary..

For example.. any complicated enough network could contain a consciousness.. Is that not a life..

and at what point is death.. it is merely the termination of one "instance" of being.. but if the matter within you is not destroyed, then you've only become something else..

going further we need to break death further into categories...

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 03:44:14 »
if that's true. we already live forever.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 05:11:28 »
if that's true. we already live forever.

until the big rocks hit us.. which is why we need to fund nasa.. AND cryogenically freeze Bruce Willis for the mission..

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 06:29:15 »
nope. a rock would just spread the consciousness more widely across the universe. but we would be still "alive"

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 15:17:42 »
"What do you do once you reach keyboard nirvana?"

You realize that in the process of discovering and acquiring the perfect keyboard, you've already typed everything you wanted to say to the world... and none of it was done with your perfect keyboard... and so you sell your gear and move to Tibet, meditate perpetually, and live to be 300 years old, before you someday transcend into a higher plane of existence, rather than merely dying a mortal death.
Logitech G710+