Author Topic: Zowie FK 2014  (Read 14069 times)

Offline eddie

• ¥¥¥¥
Zowie FK 2014
« on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 00:02:29 »
http://www.zowiegear.com/index.php?i=news&p=56 Thoughts? Thought about getting the FK so I checked the site and found that there is an update to it.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
Re: Zowie FK 2014
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 00:14:22 »
http://www.zowiegear.com/index.php?i=news&p=56 Thoughts? Thought about getting the FK so I checked the site and found that there is an update to it.

So they only changed the scroll wheel and sensor?  As usual they won't alter the physical housing, which is a shame.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 03:00:45 »
Does the physical housing have issues?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 06:01:04 »

If that's a question aimed at me, then nothing's wrong with the housing.  Like Logitech they're sticking to what sells and this model range won't change no matter what.  Nothing wrong with sticking to a WMO shape because every decent gaming mouse ever designed have mimicked it.

I just thought they would try and introduce a slightly different shape, it's the GHer in me wanting some slight physical adjustments just for the sake of it.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 06:19:01 »
Well, this is better news.

That's the one major item that I didn't like about the fk. The scroll wheel.

It's hard to rotate on the current version.

I don't know if I want to spend money on a new one though.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 08:09:13 »
I just saw this and posted it on overclock.

I like the update, but am not sure whether it is a necesarry one. The scroll wheel on the FK is not to everyone's liking, but it is not flawed like the scroll wheel in a lot of other mice. By that I mean that it does not have a reputation of frequently breaking (something we have seen with many models) or not always registering correctly (another thing we have seen with many models, including Zowie's own Evo series).

I guess this is more preference than anything. For gaming, I like the more pronouned steps that are more distinct, though for browsing I like the " faster" scrolling more. I am not sure how the IR-LED affects things.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 08:34:36 »
I think if I were to get a new mouse this would be it.
My Sensei is only < 1 year's old but it has the squeaky scroll wheel prob. get's annoying once you scroll fast.
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 13:50:12 »

If that's a question aimed at me, then nothing's wrong with the housing.  Like Logitech they're sticking to what sells and this model range won't change no matter what.  Nothing wrong with sticking to a WMO shape because every decent gaming mouse ever designed have mimicked it.

I just thought they would try and introduce a slightly different shape, it's the GHer in me wanting some slight physical adjustments just for the sake of it.

Ahh I see  ^-^
I was wondering because I know some people were talking about how Zowie has mold issues on the EC series so I thought maybe the FK has some sort of inherent flaw (also because the new EC CL still has some weird QC issues)
I was looking at the FK and AM I finally understand what the "\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/ grip, contrary to the AM that has a /\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ gripping style" means hahaha.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 17:36:46 »
Probably would've been more understandable had they used ////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ and \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\///////////////////// instead

Offline lilky

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 14:50:31 »
Looks like only the scrolling has been changed? I have a Zowie FK (not 2014) and I absolutely love it, so I'm glad they didn't make any drastic changes.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 12:23:57 »
Looks like only the scrolling has been changed? I have a Zowie FK (not 2014) and I absolutely love it, so I'm glad they didn't make any drastic changes.

Zowie seems to have their heads on straight: minimalism and not changing a good things = win

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 10:44:37 »
As a FK user, I'm glad they're not changing much! I've tried a lot of mice, and this is by far the best match for me :) Simple, beautiful, and high quality.  :thumb:

HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 02:39:21 »
Do you guys prefer the FK over the EC 2?
I know the height of the mouse is a bit lower, the length is longer and the width is almost the same.

I know this, of course, mostly preference but I'm wondering why the FK has such rave reviews.
Is it just more comfortable for people who don't like IME 3 shaped mouse devices? Is it the ambidextrous form factor?
Just a bit curious.
Subtext: I'm wondering if I should trade my EC 2 CL for a new Zowie FK 2014

Edit: in terms of grip, comfort and form factor do you prefer the FK over the SS sensei?

« Last Edit: Wed, 15 January 2014, 02:52:21 by the1onewolf »

Offline Coreda

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 05:33:32 »
I just hope they've fixed the slight input lag problem that the FK is reported to suffer from at 450dpi. Haven't tried it myself (waiting for new stock) but it's probably the only thing I'm concerned about.

Offline Reomero

• Manual breather
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 20:29:11 »
I personally prefer the fewer steps on the scroll wheel of the current FK. Though I'm saying that from a gaming standpoint.

When it comes to browsing, I've grown to using PgUp/Down/Home/End and using the scroll bar on the side, instead of using the scroll wheel on my FK.

Offline Emospence

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 20:08:01 »
The new scroll wheel on the CL kicks ass, so that's probably gonna be an improvement.

Mouse's still gonna be tiny, though.
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87UW 55g x 2
Mice: Zowie EC1 eVo CL x 2
Mousepads: Artisan Hien VE x 2, Razer Mantis Speed

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 17:58:43 »
Has anyone managed to get their hands on a 2014 version yet? I want one but I don't know if amazon is selling the newest version or not...
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 19:16:11 »
The new scroll wheel on the CL kicks ass, so that's probably gonna be an improvement.

I heard the FK is really low (height-wise) too.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 19:23:33 »
Has anyone managed to get their hands on a 2014 version yet?

There's a place here on the east coast (Australia) that sells the current 2014 version BUT I seriously don't need another mouse at this time. 

Not only that, I think it's the exact same size as the traditional WMO.  That baby is small and maybe suited to you but for me I found love in my Mionix 7000 and won't be giving her away for some time to come (don't tell my wife)  ;D .

Offline Emospence

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 03:38:10 »

I heard the FK is really low (height-wise) too.

It is indeed. I had one  :))
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87UW 55g x 2
Mice: Zowie EC1 eVo CL x 2
Mousepads: Artisan Hien VE x 2, Razer Mantis Speed

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 15:23:00 »
I'm totally getting one of these as soon as stock comes back in somewhere.
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 17:32:56 »

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-022-ZW

looks like they got some in stock, and they're on sale.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 19:55:47 »

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-022-ZW

looks like they got some in stock, and they're on sale.

I've already been in touch with them - that's the older 2013 stock, not the 2014 FK :(

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 12:40:03 »
dumb

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 14:02:05 »
dumb

indeed!

not to worry though, another UK distributor Kustom PCs has the 2014 up for pre-order after recently exhausting their stock. I emailed them a few days ago and they confirmed that they're just awaiting stock to come through.

Offline dmbr

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 00:03:47 »
I have a EC2 evo CL, and I have to say the mouse wheel is much improved; not just smaller steps, but less "mushy" and more pronounced clicks.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 07:09:25 »
I have a EC2 evo CL, and I have to say the mouse wheel is much improved; not just smaller steps, but less "mushy" and more pronounced clicks.

That's good to know! The 2014 FK has the same mousewheel, so I'm looking forward to finding out what it's like.

Offline chickenNwaffles

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 20:14:48 »
Can anyone confirm whether or not the FK has input lag issues at 450 dpi? I am really considering buying one because of my love for the wmo.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 20:57:18 »
Can anyone confirm whether or not the FK has input lag issues at 450 dpi? I am really considering buying one because of my love for the wmo.

I haven't noticed any real lag in general. The whole effect has only been made into something by about two OCN members, and otherwise no one sees it as an issue.

There was a post by Split over on teamfortress.tv (thanks to dmbr for the link) that explained why some may feel a virtually imperceptible delay sometimes, due apparently to the Zowie's interpolation of it's odd DPI steps. Concluding he compares the effect as minimal as 1-2 ping. If this is correct it would explain the effect.

Edit: updated the incorrect URL  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 March 2014, 16:15:42 by Coreda »

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 17:10:27 »
To anyone hoping to get the 2014 Zowie FK-- I just purchased the Steelseries Kana v2 and it is extremely similar.

The scroll wheel on the Kana is way nicer than the 2013 Zowie FK, the size is really similar between them, if anything the Kana is a bit wider-- the only downside is there's only one side button available per side on the Kana.

The Kana has the omron switches, which actually feel stiffer than the switches on my Zowie-- but it is easier to click really fast on the omron switches (the Zowie switches feel almost mushy when clicking quickly, making it a bit harder). I imagine the omron switches will become easier to click over time.

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline Bucake

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 09:11:55 »
not a fan of the huano switches in the zowie fk.
i'm looking into the steelseries kana v2 because that one does have them sexy omron switches, as well as the same awesome sensor as the zowie fk uses.

i think the zowie fk is great, but the coating and switches are a slight turnoff for me.
i wish they'd changed those, for the 2014 version.. :j
good on them for changing the scroller and adding more black, though!

buuut i'm not gonna buy it just for the scroller and invisible LED ;p

there's only one side button available per side on the Kana.

can you use both buttons at the same time..? (are they mouse4 and mouse5?)
or do they both function as the same button and do you simply swap which one's active by switching between left- and righthanded mode?

also: any idea if it's necessary to install drivers/software, in order to get the mouse to function properly?
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 March 2014, 09:18:07 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 11:10:52 »
they're mouse4 on mouse5 on the Kana v2 (source: me, I have one! ;))
only problem is the LOD, but it's fixable. it's a bit bigger than the FK if memory serves me right, though.

800 CPI / 1000Hz per default no drivers, which is what I was going to use anyway... none installed for me. :)

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 11:34:55 »
Munch is correct! I use my Kana v2 on Ubuntu with no drivers-- you can adjust the DPI using the button under the scroll wheel. The mouse buttons on the sides are mapped to forward and back in the browser by default.

I actually prefer my Kana v2 to my Zowie FK 2013-- the shape is a little better for me and the scroll wheel on the Kana is way better. At first I thought the click was stiffer but it's really hard to tell now. Hope that helps!

Offline Coreda

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 13:02:20 »
Munch is correct! I use my Kana v2 on Ubuntu with no drivers-- you can adjust the DPI using the button under the scroll wheel. The mouse buttons on the sides are mapped to forward and back in the browser by default.

I actually prefer my Kana v2 to my Zowie FK 2013-- the shape is a little better for me and the scroll wheel on the Kana is way better. At first I thought the click was stiffer but it's really hard to tell now. Hope that helps!

I should look into the Kana v2. I'm waiting for a replacement RMA'd Zowie FK 2014, it's an otherwise excellent mouse but I wasn't a fan of the absorbent (and in my case peeling) surface. I was burnt by the OG Kinzu before, as they didn't state it had angle snapping but Kana v2 seems to be good based on user feedback. The high LOD is a shame, however.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 16:12:34 »
yep, you guys convinced me; i'm getting myself a kana v2 :D
(thanks for the replies!)

which version do you have? white, or black?
i'm just wondering what your experience is with the coating. (grip? feel?)
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 March 2014, 16:20:02 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 18:38:13 »
Speaking of that, my sensei's squeaky noise has gone (touch wood). I really do like the design of the sensei. Iono if I would wanna get a FK atm. Price seems too steep at 40 quids. =/
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline Bucake

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 19:51:49 »
Speaking of that, my sensei's squeaky noise has gone (touch wood). I really do like the design of the sensei. Iono if I would wanna get a FK atm. Price seems too steep at 40 quids. =/

yes, the prices are significant, but i don't think you can really get around that. if you want a good mouse, that is..

but, as long as you treat your hardware right, they will(should) last you for years.
40 quid for a mouse lasting more than [number] years feels like a steal to me.

as long as i do my research i will end up with good products, and if i treat them right they will always have been worth the cash :j
i realise 40 might sound like much, but if you put it into perspective you will find it's not expensive at all.

you just have to decide if you get enough benifit out of the quality.
for example if you are not a graphic designer or frequent gamer then you might not want to spend the extra money for a sensor like the zowie's. (i'm not sure if it's the sensor what makes these mice more expensive than others, but i don't think you can find a cheap mouse using this sensor.)

you could say it's like paying for a plate of food while being allergic to half of the food that's on there. even though it's considered great food and worth the price, you might not end up benefiting from all of it ;p
just find out what makes the FK great. if 40 still sounds alot then, then i guess you should pass :j
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 March 2014, 20:01:44 by Bucake »

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 00:01:48 »
yep, you guys convinced me; i'm getting myself a kana v2 :D
(thanks for the replies!)

which version do you have? white, or black?
i'm just wondering what your experience is with the coating. (grip? feel?)

I have the black version.

Mine's shiny now where my palm rests and where I click on the mouse buttons because I used some lotion at one point-- can't help my hands get so dry!
But it is a trade-off, I guess if you have sweaty hands the matte coating would help you grip better... my hands aren't sweaty and I don't have any problems with the greasy looking coating on the Zowie FK.

So I would get the white version!

Offline Coreda

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 05:25:21 »
yes, the prices are significant, but i don't think you can really get around that. if you want a good mouse, that is..

but, as long as you treat your hardware right, they will(should) last you for years.
40 quid for a mouse lasting more than [number] years feels like a steal to me.

as long as i do my research i will end up with good products, and if i treat them right they will always have been worth the cash :j
i realise 40 might sound like much, but if you put it into perspective you will find it's not expensive at all.

I'd like to think I did extensive research on my previous mice, but even as such I ran into deal-breaking issues. Currently I'm waiting on an RMA for my 2014 FK because of a poor batch which had peeling issues.

I think for some products paying more can buy you better quality, but for gaming mice I'm not so sure the quality is always that great. Many gamers have used Microsoft's WMO mouse for years and it was at the time just an affordable desktop mouse, so it depends. Some brands and models are built to last.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 April 2014, 05:28:47 by Coreda »