Author Topic: Any advice on building a custom cherry mx plate?  (Read 1590 times)

Offline techzen

Any advice on building a custom cherry mx plate?
« on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 19:15:48 »
I've looked over threads here but I just can't find anything specific enough that will help me create a plate for a cherry mx keypad I want to make.

It's a lot to take in initially and I probably just have not been able to wrap my head around the subject enough to be able to bring all the different posts together into something coherent.  So, I'm asking for a little direction.

The keypad I want to make:  A 10x6 grid-aligned key setup using keys the size of just regular a-z keys.  I'm thinking about adding some space in there for potentiometer sliders if I can get the specifications down correctly but that's just an afterthought at this point. 

I'd like to find out what the best program for the design itself is, maybe one that has some extensive tutorials already or something as I have no idea what I am doing yet.  What materials are good, I've seen stainless steel and acrylic are being used though I don't know anything more specific than that.  Maybe there are many types of each of those I don't know.  I have seen plate examples and they look cool but I have no idea how people made them.  Would it be better to make a perfectly square hole or is the other kind of hole with the indentation at the switch clasp area better for plate without a pcb build? 

I did find a great tutorial on how to wire up the matrix and diodes on this forum and that's great.  I just need help on plate design and fabrication.  Case ideas are most welcome too.  I have seen here how people have several layers that they just screw together to make the case and I think it looked great so I will try that unless someone has a better idea.

If I can get through this and build something I'd like to make a more nooby friendly guide on how to start with absolutely nothing and what to exactly do and get, step-by-step in order to get a custom keyboard/pad made.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 January 2014, 19:21:10 by techzen »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Any advice on building a custom cherry mx plate?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 19:56:32 »
Did you check the diy cad thread?

Offline techzen

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 20:11:26 »
You know I did browse through that but since you mentioned it I went there again and clicked on a link I must have overlooked and came to this post http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40567.msg871748#msg871748.  After looking through so many things I guess I just missed the one that seems like it could get me on track.  Thanks.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 10:20:05 »
I have expressed interest in a larger keypad in the past. I will be keeping track of this.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47744.0
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 January 2014, 10:26:02 by damorgue »